error disk access: bad crc/ecc on disk read

T

treehugger

A friend's Sony Vaio desktop PC will not boot. Neither will it boot into safe mode. It's telling him "Missing operating system" although it was fine the previous night. He had not installed anything new or changed any hardware. When he tried to use the restore disks it would not restore more than 1% and he receives this error "error disk access: bad crc/ecc on disk read". The computer is 2 years old. There is very little on google but trying to interpret the techy jargon is beyond me but I saw something about sectors. Might he need a new hard disk? Would anything else give that error message?

Thanks for any help

treehugger

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

A friend's Sony Vaio desktop PC will not boot. Neither will it boot into
safe mode. It's telling him "Missing operating system" although it was fine
the previous night. He had not installed anything new or changed any
hardware. When he tried to use the restore disks it would not restore more
than 1% and he receives this error "error disk access: bad crc/ecc on disk
read". The computer is 2 years old. There is very little on google but
trying to interpret the techy jargon is beyond me but I saw something about
sectors. Might he need a new hard disk? Would anything else give that error
message?

Thanks for any help

treehugger

========================

CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) errors are bad news. They mean that the PC
encounters errors when reading data from the disk. You probably need to
replace the disk.

G

This is not a good thing

The first thing to do is get a replacement Disk Drive:
then remove the faulty drive
install the new drive
use the System Restore Disks from Sony to get the Vaio operational

If you are lucky, and have the right cables etc, you can attach the bad drive to a Desktop PC and examine the disk. These can be found most in most electronics shops. You should be able to copy files and important details from the bad disk

If you find that you still can't read much, then try running CHKDSK /r to check and repair the bad drive.

T

treehugger

BAR said:
This is not a good thing.

The first thing to do is get a replacement Disk Drive:
then remove the faulty drive:
install the new drive:
use the System Restore Disks from Sony to get the Vaio operational.

If you are lucky, and have the right cables etc, you can attach the bad drive to a Desktop PC and examine the disk. These can be found most in most electronics shops. You should be able to copy files and important details from the bad disk.

If you find that you still can't read much, then try running CHKDSK /r to check and repair the bad drive.

Thanks to both BAR and Pegasus MVP. A new hard drive has been organised. I have since found this on the Sony site though it refers to a laptop and Win98 not XP. It's a long shot but it could just work if the disk is not too bad. The disk was backed up so he's not bothered about losing data. I will try the check and repair option too:

Solution 30053

Description:
When I try to perform a recovery I get the following error message : Complete error disk access, bad CRC/ECC on disk read. Restore process failed.

Solution:
Reset the default values in the BIOS. (Press (F3) while you are starting the PC, then (F2) or (F1))

Insert the Product Recovery CD supplied with your VAIO in the CD-ROM drive and immediately turn off your VAIO.
Turn on your computer and at the first recovery screen press CTRL +C.
At the System Recovery CD screen, press Y to terminate the batch job.
At the A:\ prompt (which is the CD-ROM drive in this case) type fdisk /mbr and press EnteR.
Type fdisk and press EnteR.
When asked to enable large disk support, press Y.
The Fdisk Options screen will now appear.
Delete all partitions that have been created on the hard drive - Check How do I use FDISK? (scroll down to the lower half of this message) to perform this operation.
Check that all partitions have been well deleted by selecting the Display Partition Information option - If you get No Partition to Delete then you may continue.
When finished, press ESC several times until you are back at the A:\ prompt.
Turn off your VAIO.
Restart your VAIO with the Product Recovery CD inside - The Recovery CD will now create new partitions, restart your VAIO and then recover the system.
If this did not solve the issue please contact VAIO Link for further assistance.

treehugger

Ask a Question