error capturing

G

Hello.

I have been using Premiere 6.5 for a long time now, but recently I had to reinstall XP, and now I can't get my Firewire card to function propertly in Adobe Premiere. I have a standard firewire card (NEC OHCI 1394), and I haven't done any changes what so ever to it, so I can't understand why it isn't working like it should do in Premiere. When I try to capture (I have a Sony TRV-18E by the way), I do get picture, but no sound...and I always get this error message when I start Adobe Premiere:

('Error connecting to Microsoft(TM) DV Drivers' Premiere was unable to connect to the native Microsoft(TM) DV support on this machine. This setting was designed to only work with an OHCI IEEE1394 (Firewire, iLink) card with an approved Microsoft DV driver...blah blah blah....)

After this I have in my frustation formated the computer, reinstalled windows and adobe several times, but the same error message always comes up.

I know its not the firewire card, because I took it out and tried it on my friend's computer and it worked fine. So what I want to know....WHAT TO DO?!? :-x

If anyone had a similar problem and know the solution, please help!!

Thanks, could you send to (e-mail address removed)

G

Which firewire driver is coming up? (right click "My Computer"->Manage->Device Manager, then find your card and dbl-click to bring up properties then "Driver" tab)

Also, can you capture on your system using Windows Movie Maker?

I've had a few problems (dropped frames, not the "unable to connect" on machines with multiple firewire cards, but haven't seen the unable to connect. My suspicion is either:

1. Driver issue : try another driver
2. Premiere Prefences File Corrupt : recreate (start Premiere while holding down CTRL-SHIFT, release when splash screen appears.

If you can capture w. WMM, then look at the Preferences file and possibly project settings, if not, look at the driver.

NB: I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro, not 6.5

Ken
[I'm supposed to put some legal line here, but I just cleaned up my laptop and inadvertantly wiped my newsgroup settings...so, pretend I typed it]

Ask a Question