Windows XP Error c0000269 - Require help!

Reaction score
I had recently updated my Windows XP Home Edition computer through the WindowsUpdate site.

The updates were installed successfully. When the computer re-booted after installation. It had a new Windows XP loading screen and then it displayed a blue screen with this error message:

c0000269 Illegal system DLL relocation. The system DLL kernel32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly.

The relocation occured because the DLL c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll occupied an address reserved for windows system DLL's.

Please help me re-solve this problem!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Like Mucks says, I think your going to have a hard job with this one - I've scoured the web for info and the main feedback is that no-one seems to have a definitive answer to where exactly the problem lies.

One thing that stands out is that many get this problem after downloading a windows update - one from around April this year.

Some have tried re-installing windows and still have a problem, which suggests a possible hardware problem somewhere.
There is a suggestion HERE that it could be down to faulty RAM.

There are several other threads worth reading HERE and HERE.

Wherever the problem lies, you have some work to do;)

Reaction score
I probably should switch to an Apple machine. It has been a succession of problems with this Windows XP machine.

It appears that many people have faced this problem--the people at Microsoft should have removed the file from the downloads!

The people at the other forums report that the problem remains after formatting the disk! The format deletes all files--how would the problem persist?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
It could be because its a hardware problem like faulty RAM - you could try removing them and re-sitting or if you have a pair, removing one alternately to see if it makes any difference.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
internetuser said:
I probably should switch to an Apple machine. It has been a succession of problems with this Windows XP machine.

It appears that many people have faced this problem--the people at Microsoft should have removed the file from the downloads!

The people at the other forums report that the problem remains after formatting the disk! The format deletes all files--how would the problem persist?
Quite easily ... so use your HDs diagnostic tools to perform a "low-level" format (a misuse of the phrase) ... then "clean" re-install Windose.

If you're buying a MAC can I have first dibs on your PC. :D

Important drive information (servo, sector layout, and defect management, etc.) is stored in the low-level format at the factory. This information is designed to last the life of the drive and therefore it is not possible to low level the drive outside the factory. Although some drive manufactures and BIOS provided so-called "low level format utilities", they actually perform a write-read verify of the drive’s user data sectors, and do not actually perform a low-level format. In the event of a corrupted master boot record or boot block virus, use FDISK /MBR command to restore the master boot record. If you need to low level format your hard drive then check the drive manufacturer and download such an utility from its website. Every drive manufacturer provides just such a utility. Below is a list of hard drive manufacturers with a links to low level format utilities.

Note: If normal (high level) hard disk formatting is required, you can use DOS FDISK command to first erase and create partitions and then use FORMAT. It is also a good idea when you hard disk becomes inaccessible to see if it is just the system files that are corrupted. Most of the time, it is the case. SYS will do the job of replacing system files. Therefore, low level format is always of LAST RESORT when you encounter HDD problems.
http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/low-level-format.html

Reaction score
I plan to format the hard drive and re-install Windows XP on the computer. I would need to update the computer after the installation--what is the code number of the update that causes this problem? Is there any means to know all the system-conflicts before download?

Thank you for the help.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I have downloaded all the updates ever issued for Windows XP and have never had a problem, have you checked to make sure there are no hardware/RAM problems at your end?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
internetuser said:
I plan to format the hard drive and re-install Windows XP on the computer. I would need to update the computer after the installation--what is the code number of the update that causes this problem? Is there any means to know all the system-conflicts before download?

Thank you for the help.
If it is a "conflict" with one update and your system the only thing you can do is install one update at a time and test the system out ... when or if you get a conflict do not install the update the next time. :(

There are very few people having any real problems, so MS are probably not too concerned. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
The people at Microsoft Support say that the RAM is causing this problem.

I have formatted the hard drive and installed the operating system again. I do not plan to download any updates. I would use some good internet security program for computer protection.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Internetuser said:
I do not plan to download any updates. I would use some good internet security program for computer protection
Really, you should get the windows updates. You asking for trouble if ya dont.....

Ask a Question