Error Booting

I am not sure this is actually a Windows Vista issue, since it started when I
was running XP, but since I am running Vista now I will post here.

Every time I boot a screen comes up saying it is the Window Boot Manager.

The screen says:

Windows Failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
3. Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

The options I have are Enter=Continue or ESC=Exit.

This happens every time I boot.

Usually after hitting "Enter" it will go to the boot options screen and I
usually just select to start normally, I have tried to select all the other
options but no difference. Sometimes the "Windows Boot Manager" will come
back up several times and then it will finally boot into Windows. Sometimes
the file will be "File: \windows\system32\winload.exe".

I loaded Windows Vista RC1 assuming that somehow my XP got screwed up and it
was a good "reason" to load Vista. :) But that did not solve the problem.

Any suggestions would be great!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Rick Rogers

Hi,

Ntoskrnl.exe is the main file that loads the OS after ntldr (XP) or
winload.exe (Vista). If it is damaged, not much else is going to work. You
will likely need to do a repair install of the affect OS.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick, I have tried that as well and it does not fix anything. I am not
running XP anymore so I am not sure why ntoskrnl would even be showing up!

Thanks!
--
I am not where I intended to go, but I think I am where I am supposed to be!

Rick Rogers said:
Hi,

Ntoskrnl.exe is the main file that loads the OS after ntldr (XP) or
winload.exe (Vista). If it is damaged, not much else is going to work. You
will likely need to do a repair install of the affect OS.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Ntoskrnl.exe is still loaded in Windows Vista so yes this error can happen.
The error message implies that ntoskrnl.exe was modified so it's no longer
the same as when it was installed.
Boot to the Windows VIsta DVD.
At the install screen boot to the recovery options( lower left corner on
the install screen)
run through the automated recovery options. It should try to repair
ntoskrnl.exe.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?dGhld2l6eg==?= <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Error Booting
<Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 18:43:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Rick, I have tried that as well and it does not fix anything. I am not
<running XP anymore so I am not sure why ntoskrnl would even be showing up!
<
<Thanks!
<--
<I am not where I intended to go, but I think I am where I am supposed to
be!
<
<
<"Rick Rogers" wrote:
<
<> Hi,
<>
<> Ntoskrnl.exe is the main file that loads the OS after ntldr (XP) or
<> winload.exe (Vista). If it is damaged, not much else is going to work.
You
<> will likely need to do a repair install of the affect OS.
<>
<> --
<> Best of Luck,
<>
<> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
<>
<> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
<>
<> <> >I am not sure this is actually a Windows Vista issue, since it started
when
<> >I
<> > was running XP, but since I am running Vista now I will post here.
<> >
<> > Every time I boot a screen comes up saying it is the Window Boot
Manager.
<> >
<> > The screen says:
<> >
<> > Windows Failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might
be
<> > the
<> > cause. To fix the problem:
<> >
<> > 1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
<> > 2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
<> > 3. Click "Repair your computer"
<> >
<> > If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or
<> > computer
<> > manufacturer for assistance.
<> >
<> > File: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
<> > Status: 0xc000428
[...]
<> > --
<> > I am not where I intended to go, but I think I am where I am supposed
<> > be!
<>
<>
<

Darrell,
Thank you for your comments! I have actually tried to repair several times
w/o success. I tried agian this AM and not luck. BTW, I get the error even
when trying to boot from CD.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Thank you agian!!!!
--

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Ntoskrnl.exe is still loaded in Windows Vista so yes this error can happen.
The error message implies that ntoskrnl.exe was modified so it's no longer
the same as when it was installed.
Boot to the Windows VIsta DVD.
At the install screen boot to the recovery options( lower left corner on
the install screen)
run through the automated recovery options. It should try to repair
ntoskrnl.exe.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?dGhld2l6eg==?= <[email protected]>
<Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 18:43:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Rick, I have tried that as well and it does not fix anything. I am not
<running XP anymore so I am not sure why ntoskrnl would even be showing up!
<
<Thanks!
<--
<I am not where I intended to go, but I think I am where I am supposed to
be!
<
<
<"Rick Rogers" wrote:
<
<> Hi,
<>
[...]

Then there are two likely scenarios:

1) The installation is damaged irrepairably. Recover data where you can,
format and do a clean installation.

2) You have a hardware conflict, incorrect timing, or flakey memory, and
nothing will be resolved until you address it.

--

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Ntoskrnl.exe is still loaded in Windows Vista so yes this error can
happen.
The error message implies that ntoskrnl.exe was modified so it's no
longer
the same as when it was installed.
Boot to the Windows VIsta DVD.
At the install screen boot to the recovery options( lower left corner on
the install screen)
run through the automated recovery options. It should try to repair
ntoskrnl.exe.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?dGhld2l6eg==?= <[email protected]>
<Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 18:43:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Rick, I have tried that as well and it does not fix anything. I am not
<running XP anymore so I am not sure why ntoskrnl would even be showing
up!
<
<Thanks!
<--
<I am not where I intended to go, but I think I am where I am supposed to
be!
<
<
<"Rick Rogers" wrote: