"error accessing system registry" XPPro

A

Al Camp

I've hit a bit of a "sticky wicket" in XP Pro as I discovered in all my versions of Access
(97/2K/2003) and Excel and Word. Anything that uses a VB editor for coding. Although my
apps run just fine, when ever I try to check my References, I get a message...
"Error accessing the system registry"

This is probably due to a recent install of Visual Studio 2005. When I went to
de-intstall VS2005,
the de-install would not work (a known problem), and I had a hell of a time "hand
removing" VStudio components. A real mess... and I'm sure that something in VS stepped on
my system registry.

I tried the ArticleID: 269383
1. None of my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib folders are "dimmed"
2. None of my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID folders are "dimmed"
3. Was not able to define the reg entry/s involved with RegMon (inexperience with
RegMon)

Searched the Google Access groups with no luck... while there were posts asking the same
question, most had no response (hmmm... that's not a good sign...)

Also tried scr8_webregfix.exe... with no luck, and also Repaired Access 2003 via the
Install CD.... with no luck.

If anyone could offer any assistance on this poser, I would really appreciate it.

A

Al Camp

Well, I was able to do a Restore back to about 4 weeks ago, and that fixed the "error
accessing system registry" on all my Access versions, Word, and Excel.
Any app that utilizes the MSVisual Basic editor, and References.

None of the KB fixes or Crystal fixes had any effect. And given that I never had any
registry entries "dimmed" I'll just put it down to some registry corruption.
The only bug I have now is that the Restore caused a problem with my SQL server (I
think the Express, that comes with VS2005).
I get a Start Up (IPL) error saying that SQL Server is corrupted, and it can't find
sqlevn70.rll. I'm not even using SQL Express, so if I can figure out how to get the IPL
to just skip the SQL load... I'll be all set.

I expected that there might not be any responses on this problem... it's a real doozy!
If the 2 fixes out there don't do the trick, you're on your own, and... I had noticed that
many of the Access NG posts regarding this same problem had few replies.

Well, it was worth a shot...

Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA
Microsoft Access MVP
http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions

"Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."

Ask a Question