Error 624

Honjo

I am having problems as follows:

1. I can not do liveupdate of Norton Antivirus.
2. I can not create any new Network Connection.
3. I can not delete a VPN Connection client setup.

Help and Support provides further details of what this error means but I
still do not understand how to resolve this problem: My disk has plenty
of free space and I logging in as Administrator should not have any
permission problem.
Please anyone help.

Kaz Honjo

Damon Xu[MSFT]

Hi Kaz,

Thank you for posting!

According to your post, I understand that you cannto create new network
connection, do Norton liveupdate and delete VPN client setup in Windows XP.

I am wondering if there is any error mesage. If so, please let me know.

Based on my research, to solve the problem, follow the steps below:
1. Back up the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan
key.
2. verify that the "Objectname" string value is set to LocalSystem in the
following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan
3. Delete the following registry subkeys.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\26
4. After that, restart the computer.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Damon Xu
MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Online Support

When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so
| Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:09:51 -0400
| From: Honjo <[email protected]>
| Subject: Error 624
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| I am having problems as follows:
|
| 1. I can not do liveupdate of Norton Antivirus.
| 2. I can not create any new Network Connection.
| 3. I can not delete a VPN Connection client setup.
|
| Help and Support provides further details of what this error means but I
| still do not understand how to resolve this problem: My disk has plenty
| of free space and I logging in as Administrator should not have any
| permission problem.
| Please anyone help.
|
| Kaz Honjo

Honjo

Hi Damon

Please note that I thought the way question was posted was improper so that I
cancelled it and re-posted with a new wording but you responded to the original
post so I cancelled the new one. My appology if this causes confusion.

I did as you suggested but that did not have any effect on the problem or I
still can not remove VPN client setup(WXP built-in software used not third
party).

Error message I get when I attempted running liveupdate of Norton Anti Virus is
as follows:

Network Connections
Cannot write phonebook
Error 624: The system could not update the phone book.

The further explanation of the error is:

Network Connection uses the Rasphone.pbk file located in the
systemroot\System32\Rasfolder. Make sure your disk is not full and that you
have permisission to change this file.

Please note that I have a plenty of disk space and I am doing these after
logging in as Administrator or as a user belonging to Administrators.

If I attempt creating a new network connection I get Error 624. There is no
error message displayed when I attempt to delete VPN client setup.

One thing I did before I noticed the problem which was not my daily routine was
running CHKDSK and Defragmenting hard disk. Then what I did since was
reinstalling NAV which did not solve the problem. Next I attempted to restore
the system(WXP Pro) but at the end of the process it said it could not restore.
I tried two more restore points but all failed.

Kaz Honjo

Damon Xu said:
Hi Kaz,

Thank you for posting!

According to your post, I understand that you cannto create new network
connection, do Norton liveupdate and delete VPN client setup in Windows XP.

I am wondering if there is any error mesage. If so, please let me know.

Based on my research, to solve the problem, follow the steps below:
1. Back up the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan
key.
2. verify that the "Objectname" string value is set to LocalSystem in the
following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan
3. Delete the following registry subkeys.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\26
4. After that, restart the computer.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Damon Xu
MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Online Support

When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so
| Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:09:51 -0400
| From: Honjo <[email protected]>
| Subject: Error 624
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| I am having problems as follows:
|
| 1. I can not do liveupdate of Norton Antivirus.
| 2. I can not create any new Network Connection.
| 3. I can not delete a VPN Connection client setup.
|
| Help and Support provides further details of what this error means but I
| still do not understand how to resolve this problem: My disk has plenty
| of free space and I logging in as Administrator should not have any
| permission problem.
| Please anyone help.
|
| Kaz Honjo

Honjo

Hi Damon

Over the weekend I tried repair installation but to no avail so I just reinstalled
it clean.
Thanks for your efforts to help me anyway.

Kaz Honjo

Damon Xu said:
Hi Kaz,

Thank you for posting!

According to your post, I understand that you cannto create new network
connection, do Norton liveupdate and delete VPN client setup in Windows XP.

I am wondering if there is any error mesage. If so, please let me know.

Based on my research, to solve the problem, follow the steps below:
1. Back up the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan
key.
2. verify that the "Objectname" string value is set to LocalSystem in the
following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan
3. Delete the following registry subkeys.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\26
4. After that, restart the computer.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Damon Xu
MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Online Support

When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so
| Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:09:51 -0400
| From: Honjo <[email protected]>
| Subject: Error 624
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| I am having problems as follows:
|
| 1. I can not do liveupdate of Norton Antivirus.
| 2. I can not create any new Network Connection.
| 3. I can not delete a VPN Connection client setup.
|
| Help and Support provides further details of what this error means but I
| still do not understand how to resolve this problem: My disk has plenty
| of free space and I logging in as Administrator should not have any
| permission problem.
| Please anyone help.
|
| Kaz Honjo

Damon Xu[MSFT]

Hi Kaz,

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear that things are working correctly
for you now. If you find that your issue has not been fully resolved,
please let me know by adding a post to the thread.

For your information, regarding the error message, you may search the
Rasphone.pbk file and check the attribute of the Rasphone.pbk file to make
sure that it is not set to Read-only. If the problem still occurs, you may
rename all the Rasphone.pbk file.

We look forward to helping you in the future.

> [...]

| > > 3. Delete the following registry subkeys.
| > > -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
| > > -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\26
| > > 4. After that, restart the computer.
| > >
| > > Hope this helps!
| > >
| > > Have a great day!
| > >
| > > Sincerely,
| > >
| > > Damon Xu
| > > MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
| > > Microsoft Partner Online Support
| > >

| > > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > >
| > > ====================================================
| > > When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so
| > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > > ====================================================
| > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

Honjo

Hi Damon,

I will save your suggestion for my future reference.
Thanks again.

Kaz Honjo

Damon Xu said:
> [...]

| > > 3. Delete the following registry subkeys.
| > > -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
| > > -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\26
| > > 4. After that, restart the computer.
| > >
| > > Hope this helps!
| > >
| > > Have a great day!
| > >
| > > Sincerely,
| > >
| > > Damon Xu
| > > MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
| > > Microsoft Partner Online Support
| > >

| > > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > >
| > > ====================================================
| > > When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so
| > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > > ====================================================
| > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

Damon Xu[MSFT]

Hi Kaz,

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear that things are working correctly
for you now. If you find that your issue has not been fully resolved,
please let me know by adding a post to the thread.

We look forward to helping you in the future.

Sincerely,

Damon Xu
MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Support

When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so
| Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:57:11 -0400
| From: Honjo <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Error 624
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Hi Damon,
|
| I will save your suggestion for my future reference.
| Thanks again.
|
| Kaz Honjo
|

| "Damon Xu[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Kaz,
| >
| > Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear that things are working correctly
| > for you now. If you find that your issue has not been fully resolved,
| > please let me know by adding a post to the thread.
| >
| > For your information, regarding the error message, you may search the
| > Rasphone.pbk file and check the attribute of the Rasphone.pbk file to
make
| > sure that it is not set to Read-only. If the problem still occurs, you
may
| > rename all the Rasphone.pbk file.
| >
| > We look forward to helping you in the future.
| >
| > Sincerely,
| >
| > Damon Xu
| > MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
| > Microsoft Partner Online Support

| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
| > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
| > --------------------
| > | Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:13:15 -0400
| > | From: Honjo <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Error 624
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| > |
| > | Hi Damon
| > |
| > | Over the weekend I tried repair installation but to no avail so I just
| > reinstalled
| > | it clean.
| > | Thanks for your efforts to help me anyway.
| > |
| > | Kaz Honjo
| > |
| > | Honjo wrote:
| > |

| > that I
| > original

| > or I
| > third

Anti
| > Virus is

| > you

| > after
Administrators.

There
| > is no

| > routine was
| > restore
| > restore.

| > network
| > Windows XP.

| > know.

| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan
LocalSystem in
| > the
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\26

| > rights.
| > but I
| > plenty
| > |