Error 103

• Thread starter Confused about Critical Error 103.
  • Start date
C

Confused about Critical Error 103.

I have two PCs, one with XP Pro and one with XP Home. I
have installed the antispyware software on both. The
software works OK on the XP Pro machine (other than some
annoying quirks like changing the homepage to MSN.com,
etc.)

After installing the software on the XP Home PC, I tried
to execute the program and received an Error 103
message. The box indicated that I should try to
reinstall the software or update the software. I have
done all of these things but without success. I searched
for this error and there are a lot of people reporting
this error, but no one has returned a satisfactory fix.

I looked through this group and noticed that some folks
have received an error 101, which is easily repaired.

Does anyone know what causes the Error 103? Microsoft
does not mention it on their site (at least I have not
found it yet).

Thanks!

B

Bill Sanderson

Both error 101 and error 103 have the same entry in the Known Issues section of the help file for build .509:

* If you see a dialog box with the following message after you start your computer or when you start Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware, you need to repair or reinstall Windows AntiSpyware. The following message can also refer to Error 102 or Error 103:

Warning: Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware has encountered a critical error (Error 101). Please restart Windows AntiSpyware and run the program again. If you continue to experience this problem, please uninstall the program and install the most recent version of Windows AntiSpyware. You can use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall this version of Windows AntiSpyware.

You can repair Windows AntiSpyware using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Click Microsoft AntiSpyware and click Change. Click Next, and then click Update.

If you see the critical error message again, uninstall Windows AntiSpyware and reinstall it. To do this, use Add or Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel. Click Microsoft AntiSpyware and click Remove. You can reinstall Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware at www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software

Ask a Question