Epson R200, R300, R800 & Print Servers

Fred

I have a couple of questions about the Epson R200,R300 or R800 CD printer.

1: Is the R200 the same as the R300 except for the card readers and
display. I mean is the print engine the same. Same ink and quality?

2: Can any of these printers be used through a print server on a network?

3: What are the cons for these printers?

Thanks

Gordon B. Alley

Fred said:
I have a couple of questions about the Epson R200,R300 or R800 CD printer.

1: Is the R200 the same as the R300 except for the card readers and
display. I mean is the print engine the same. Same ink and quality?

2: Can any of these printers be used through a print server on a network?

3: What are the cons for these printers?

Here's a chart (PDF) with a side-by-side comparison of the R200 and R300:
<http://www.epson.com/cmc_upload/0/000/030/242/SPR200_familyComparison.pd
f>

It appears that the answer to question 1 is "yes", with the caveat that
the R300 has the card readers, but you need to get the R300M to get a
display.

I have an R200 on my iMac G4 800. My previous printers were a C80N and a
C82. The C80N came with an EpsonNet External Print Server module that
plugged into its parallel port to provide network printing. When I
replaced it with the C82, I was able to use the same EpsonNet unit on
that printer as well. But the R200 has only USB 1.1 (2 ports, one on the
back, and one on the front), so this printer can't use my EpsonNet Print
Server. I presume that it could be shared over the net by a host Mac or
PC, though, if printer sharing is configured.

I've gotten excellent results printing photos on glossy paper with the
R200.

FredBillie

<< 3: What are the cons for these printers? >><BR><BR>
They are still slower than the best Canon printers.

Ron

FredBillie said:
<< 3: What are the cons for these printers? >><BR><BR>
They are still slower than the best Canon printers.

yeah, but where's Canon's CD/DVD printer. That's what has me leaning toward
the Epson models as much as I like Canons.

Ron

FredBillie

<< From: "Ron" (e-mail address removed)
Date: Sun, May 30, 2004 8:36 AM

FredBillie said:
<< 3: What are the cons for these printers? >>
They are still slower than the best Canon printers.

yeah, but where's Canon's CD/DVD printer. That's what has me leaning toward
the Epson models as much as I like Canons.

RonYou certainly have a point and I hope Canon gets its act straight on this issue
and perhaps considers the use of pigment inks. I bought an Epson Picturemate
for ease and portability at parties for instant (a slow 2.5 minutes) printing
of 4X6 pictures. Get this: print a picture, take it to the kitchen sink and run
water on it while scrubbing with your finger. Nothing happens. Ink doesn’t
run and no damage to the picture other than a curl from the drying of the wet
paper. Impressive and the pictures are six color and very good. Way to go
Epson! (I have had three Epsons before when I switched to Canon for the
individual ink tanks, 6 colors and speed, speed, speed.

Irv Segal

I think the R300 is USB 2.0, while R200 is USB 1.1. I use a TrendWare
TE100-P2U1P network print server that has 2 USB 1.1 ports, and 1 parallel
port. I have an HP 5550, Epson R200 and Lexmark E310 [laser] attached to the
print server. The print server works great for me, When I waqnt to use a
printer from any of my systems, I just turn on that printer. YMMV.

--irv segal
(e-mail address removed)

Gordon B. Alley

I think the R300 is USB 2.0, while R200 is USB 1.1. I use a TrendWare
TE100-P2U1P network print server that has 2 USB 1.1 ports, and 1 parallel
port. I have an HP 5550, Epson R200 and Lexmark E310 [laser] attached to the
print server. The print server works great for me, When I waqnt to use a
printer from any of my systems, I just turn on that printer. YMMV.

I have an R200. I can confirm that it has two USB 1.1 ports (one on the
back, and another on the front).