Epson R1800 "End of service life warning"

Frank Arthur

SamSez said:
Just curious -- what ink have you been using?

Fine quality Chinese manufactured inks of uniform color quality
that cost approximately $2 per cartridge vs. Epson inks @ $14 ea.

frederick

Tony said:
According to the SSC site, the utility will in fact reset the protection
counter. It will not reset the ink cartridge counters but that is an unrelated
issue.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging
Have you tried the latest V4.2? Perhaps it can now reset the protection
counter, but previous versions could not.

frederick

Tony said:
I sent to http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and scrolled down to and clicked on
Supported Printer Models and the R1800 is listed there.
Tony

I haven't tried it recently - the last version I looked at the "ink
freezer" function worked, but it couldn't read the protection counter
levels, let alone reset the counters. IIRC there are two counters, with
cumulated total ~18,000.
There's two ** next to the entry in the SSC list of supported models,
apparently referring to the inability of the program to reset cartridge
chips.

SamSez

Fine quality Chinese manufactured inks of uniform color quality
that cost approximately $2 per cartridge vs. Epson inks @ $14 ea.

And which, I'm guessing, 'fine quality' though they might be, cause more
cleaning cycles than would oem ink, running up the 'full pad' counter.

Tony

SamSez said:
And which, I'm guessing, 'fine quality' though they might be, cause more
cleaning cycles than would oem ink, running up the 'full pad' counter.

I believe that is impossible. The printer has no way of knowing what ink is
installed and the automatic cleaning cycles will occur at the same frequency
and duration that they would have with OEM ink. I have no preference for any
particular ink, OEM or compatible, and think people should make their own
decisions and live with the consequences and there are consequences both ways.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Ed Ruf

I believe that is impossible. The printer has no way of knowing what ink is
installed and the automatic cleaning cycles will occur at the same frequency
and duration that they would have with OEM ink. I have no preference for any
particular ink, OEM or compatible, and think people should make their own
decisions and live with the consequences and there are consequences both ways.

But, I'd imagine like my R800 it can detect clogged ports in the head
and then run it's own automatic cleaning cycles, no?

Arthur Entlich

I think what "SamSez" is implying is that the inks may cause many more
user initiated cleaning cycles, and hence the ink pads being used up
more rapidly.

Art

Arthur Entlich

I don't believe the R800 or R1800 have a way to determine a clogged
nozzle. The high end wide carriage professional models have some
sensors for this.

Art

Taliesyn

Ed said:
But, I'd imagine like my R800 it can detect clogged ports in the head
and then run it's own automatic cleaning cycles, no?

My Canon printer has like 1,856 "microscopic" nozzles, or whatever
number. I seriously doubt there's room in there to implant a sensor in
each nozzle to detect a clog! I believe what happens is that internal
printer software is programmed to trigger automatic cleaning cycles at
predetermined times - regardless of whether you have OEM ink, generic,
or chocolate syrup! In other words, it doesn't know and doesn't care;
cleaning cycles will remain the same. But you will be able to lick the
paper with the last choice! :)

-Taliesyn

SamSez

I think what "SamSez" is implying is that the inks may cause many more
user initiated cleaning cycles, and hence the ink pads being used up
more rapidly.

Art
exactly

Frank Arthur

SamSez said:
And which, I'm guessing, 'fine quality' though they might be, cause more
cleaning cycles than would oem ink, running up the 'full pad' counter.

Let's see. In a year and a half I spent about $300 on inks (@$2ea). If I
bought only
Epson inks it would have cost me at least $1,800(@$12ea.
Would the "full pad" counter have lasted longer than 18 months had I used
only Epson
inks?
The "Service" r3eplacement pads & reset, clean etc. was $85. Not bad!

measekite

SamSez wrote:

"Frank Arthur" <[email protected]> wrote in news:BJJ1i.4655$ub.460 @bignews6.bellsouth.net:

Just curious -- what ink have you been using?

Fine quality Chinese manufactured inks of uniform color quality that cost approximately $2 per cartridge vs. Epson inks @ $14 ea.

And which, I'm guessing, 'fine quality' though they might be, cause more cleaning cycles than would oem ink, running up the 'full pad' counter.

And if the way they make Pet Food Additives over there it is obvious that they do not have good controls on mfg goods that they adhere to so one has no idea what is in many products.  I would say that the largest export is clothing but it is much easier to tell the quality.

Tony

Art
That occurred to me also. Rightly or wrongly I decided that the poster was
unlikely to be highly complimentary about his chinese inks if he was always
running cleaning cycles.
As mentioned elsewhere in the thread this printer does not, to the best of my
knowledge, have the capability to detect blocked nozzles. That is, I believe, a
feature built into some more expensive printers.
Tony

Arthur Entlich said:
I think what "SamSez" is implying is that the inks may cause many more
user initiated cleaning cycles, and hence the ink pads being used up
more rapidly.

Art

Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Arthur Entlich

I would suspect that Epson inks or Chinese inks, having to do 150
initial purges ($300 in ink at $2 each would be 150 new cartridge
installs) would require a waste ink pad replacement regardless.

Yeah, I'd say paying $85 for a waste ink pad replacement on a printer
that's run through that much ink, and saved $1500-$1800 (I think you can
get Epson carts for about $12) and considering you probably would have
needed new waste ink pads regardless, that you certainly made a
reasonable investment. There are some features that the Epson inks may
provide that some people need (such as having long fade resistance and
being waterproof), but otherwise, the price differential makes the
choice a bit easier.

Art

Arthur Entlich

Hi Tony,

Just to be clear about where I stand on this, I was just trying to
understand the logic on SamSez's part in his statement, I wasn't
supporting that the inks indeed were more or less likely to cause clogs,
and therefore cause more cleaning cycles to be initiated by the user.

I agree that to the best of my knowledge, the R800 doesn't have nozzle
block detection features.

Art

Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
frederick said:
Tony wrote:
> "Frank Arthur" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I bought my Epson R1800 in August 2005.
>> Has been working beautifully producing mostly Epson Premium Glossy prints.
>>
>> Without warning prints began to come out poorly this morning followed by
>> the following error message:
>>
>> "Requires Service
>> Parts inside your printer are near the end of their service life. See your
>> printer documentation."
>>
>> I contacted Epson and was told that I need to bring the printer to a nearbly
>> city for servicing.
>>
>> Is his common for the service life of about 18 months for a $500 printer
>> such as this?
>> Have other R1800 users faced with the same problem? And what did he
>> servicing entail?

> This message means that the printer thinks the waste ink pads are full and so
> it refuses to print until the pads are replaced and the waste ink (protection)
> counter is reset.
> In practice the pads will not be full if this is the first time you have
> received the message so all that needs to be done is to reset the counter. Next
> time you must replace or clean the pads.
> Go to http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and download the utility.
> Install it, run it and exit it from the main window, now go to the icon in the
> system tray and right click on it. Select waste ink or protection counter and
> select reset. If this gives trouble then uninstall the Epson status monitor and
> try again (you can install the status monitir again afterwards).
> The irony is that the more you use an Epson printer the more reliable it will
> be (due to the heads being kept in good condition) but the people that use
> their printer most will get this message earlier than others. Some people never
> see this message. It is a good printer and well worth the effort of doing this
> at no cost.
> Tony
> MS MVP Printing/Imaging

The SSC service utility won't reset the R1800 counter.
The Epson service program is needed and can be downloaded from:
http://www.2manuals.com/

The R1800/2400 service manual can be downloaded from that site.
If you want to have a go at replacing the pads, then instructions are in
the manual.
I have recently downloaded the new SSC utility and it does reset the ink pad counter for Epson R1800 printers.