Entire screen turned sideways! Help!

Last night I went for groceries and turned off my screen, when I got back
maybe an hour later and turned my screen back on, the entire screen was
sideways. Instead of reading top to bottom, it reads right to left. My mouse
works in accordance to this "new screen." My screen saver and monitor menu
works normally though.

I tried restarting my computer, unplugging the monitor over night and
restarting, my system restore was off so that's no help... I can't seem to
drag the tool bar. I ran my anti-virus and it came up clean, and I ran my
Ad-aware and Ewido anti-spyware and got rid of everything.

I don't know if I pressed a button my accident, or if my cat stepped on
something... but this is really bothersome!! I'm typing sideways and my neck
is getting sore...

PLEASE HELP?!?!?! Thank you!

Will Denny

Hi

Try this:

Right click the Desktop, select Properties>Settings>Advanced. See if there
is a setting in there to rotate the screen back to normal. If you have
Nvidia software installed try clicking on the tab for your graphics card and
have a look for NVRotate on the left hand side.

If you do have an Nvidia card there may be an icon in the Notification Area.
If so, right click on it, select Rotation Settings and then set it to 0
degrees

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

In addition to Will's advice.

Press and hold the CTRL+ALT keys and press the ARROW keys to rotate the screen.

James Silverton

Hello, Squire!
You wrote on Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:07:51 -0600:

S> If you have an Intel motherboard,
S> Try clicking CTRL+ALT+the UP arrow.

S> --
S> Jerry

S> Murphy's Computer Law -
S> It works better if you plug it in.

S> message
??>> Last night I went for groceries and turned off my screen,
??>> when I got back maybe an hour later and turned my screen
??>> back on, the entire screen was sideways. Instead of
??>> reading top to bottom, it reads right to left. My
??>> mouse works in accordance to this "new screen." My screen
??>> saver and monitor menu works normally though.
??>>
??>> I tried restarting my computer, unplugging the monitor
??>> over night and restarting, my system restore was off so
??>> that's no help... I can't seem to drag the tool bar. I ran
??>> my anti-virus and it came up clean, and I ran my Ad-aware
??>> and Ewido anti-spyware and got rid of everything.
??>>
??>> I don't know if I pressed a button my accident, or if my
??>> cat stepped on something... but this is really
??>> bothersome!! I'm typing sideways and my neck is getting
??>> sore...
??>>
??>> PLEASE HELP?!?!?! Thank you!

For my ViewSonic software, there is a toggle: CNTL+Shift+R

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Will Denny

Hi Ronnie

I've seen your solution posted a lot - and it seems to work in a lot of
cases. However, I don't post that solution 'cos it doesn't work here on any
of my PCs and I'm miffed as to why not.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

In addition to Will's advice.

Press and hold the CTRL+ALT keys and press the ARROW keys to rotate the
screen.

Squire

Glad to help :)

Just for fun you can turn your screen left right and upside down using the
various arrows.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Hi Will,

I understand. I haven't been able to get a handle on why this does not work for some and does for others?

Maybe the reference from "Squire" about the motherboard brand has something to do with it?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Hi Squire,

Is this documented anywhere? If so, I would sure like a link to the reference. This one has eluded us for some time, but maybe we have just been too focused on the video card?

Squire

High, Ronnie,

My wife found it quite by accident,
Her screen turned 90 degrees to the right,
And looking up video cards and updates,
without success,
Finally found it on the Mother board by Intel,

--
Jerry

Why is there never enough time to do it Right,
But always time to do it Over?

Hi Squire,

Is this documented anywhere? If so, I would sure like a link to the
reference. This one has eluded us for some time, but maybe we have just been
too focused on the video card?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

<Snip>

Squire

Be sure to check James Silverton's post also.

--
Jerry

Why is there never enough time to do it Right,
But always time to do it Over?

Hi Squire,

Is this documented anywhere? If so, I would sure like a link to the
reference. This one has eluded us for some time, but maybe we have just been
too focused on the video card?

My screen turned sideways and your CTRL + ALT and ARROW Keys saved the day.
Thanks man, I was worried there for a second.