endnotes

beck1

I am trying to combine several chapters of a book, all with endnotes, using"Insert, Object, Text File". When a new chapter is added to the original the endnotes do not come across. I have tried everything. Can anyone help? I wish the endnotes to stay with each chapter, not appear at the end of theentire book. Thanks.

Stefan Blom

You'll have to insert a Next Page section break between each chapter, and then
you'll have to set the placement option for endnotes to "End of section."

For the placement option, you can right-click an existing endnote and choose
Note Options from the context menu. In the "Location" section, choose "End of
section." Make sure "Apply changes to" says "Whole document" and then click
Apply.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
I am trying to combine several chapters of a book, all with endnotes, using
"Insert, Object, Text File". When a new chapter is added to the original the
endnotes do not come across. I have tried everything. Can anyone help? I wish
the endnotes to stay with each chapter, not appear at the end of the entire
book. Thanks.

Stefan Blom

Also, note that if you have the "Update fields before printing" option selected
in the Word Options dialog box, try clearing it, because updated field results
may add pages. (On the other hand, usually you do want the fields to be updated
on print.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
I am trying to combine several chapters of a book, all with endnotes, using
"Insert, Object, Text File". When a new chapter is added to the original the
endnotes do not come across. I have tried everything. Can anyone help? I wish
the endnotes to stay with each chapter, not appear at the end of the entire
book. Thanks.

Peter T. Daniels

The sort of publisher that wants chapter-endnotes is also likely to
want each chapter to begin on a recto (it makes printing offprints
easier, in case anyone still does that), so make it a "Next Page
Right" section break.

Stefan Blom

Good point, but in Word terminology that would be an Odd Page section break. :)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

The sort of publisher that wants chapter-endnotes is also likely to
want each chapter to begin on a recto (it makes printing offprints
easier, in case anyone still does that), so make it a "Next Page
Right" section break.

Peter T. Daniels

Sheesh, I waited all day to post that note so I'd remember to check
the wording!

Stefan Blom

<g>