Enabling Add Ons (IE 7)

I get a message that Internet Explorer is currently running with add-ons
disabled.
If I click on Tools (Manage Add Ons) is in grey so I can't access it to
enable the add on feature.
Any ideas on what to do next.

Don Varnau

Hi,
IE7 questions should be posted to the
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general newsgroup- but that's not terribly
easy to determine.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

In Outlook Express or another NNTP newsreader:

But, since you're here...
First check Internet Options> Advanced> Enable third-party browser
extensions. It should be checked. If that didn't fix things go to the next
step.

Next, run regedit and search for the DWORD value "NoExtensionManagement" If
you find it either:
1. Create a System Restore point
2. Export the entire registry
3. Export the key containing that DWORD value

Then delete the "NoExtensionManagement" DWORD value.
If you need more detailed instructions, let me know. Be very careful when
editing the registry.

If unsuccessful with that procedure, startup in Safe Mode with Networking.
315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
If the problem goes away, a program that didn't load in Safe Mode is causing
it.

Or, uninstall.reinstall IE7. Make sure that antivirus/antispyware programs
are disabled when installing IE7. See
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#tips for other installation tips.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hi Don

Do you have more detailed instructions on locating the DWORD
"NoExtensionManagement". Where would this be located. Once found how do I
Export the entire registry.
Sorry I don't usually play around with the Registry that much so it is all
new to me, but I can follow instructions as long as I know where to go.

Thanks for your help.

Trecky said:
I get a message that Internet Explorer is currently running with add-ons
disabled.
If I click on Tools (Manage Add Ons) is in grey so I can't access it to
enable the add on feature.
Any ideas on what to do next.

Hi

I am running XP PROF SP2

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
First... are you running XP Home, Pro or Media Center? Registry editing
later, of necessary.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Trecky" <Trecky[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I get a message that Internet Explorer is currently running with add-ons
disabled.
If I click on Tools (Manage Add Ons) is in grey so I can't access it to
enable the add on feature.
Any ideas on what to do next.

Don Varnau

Hi,
First... are you running XP Home, Pro or Media Center? Registry editing
later, of necessary.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Hi,
With XP Pro, you can check this setting by running (from Start> Run)
gpedit.msc
In the left pane, drill down through Computer Configuration> Administrative
Templates> Windows Components> Internet Explorer. Select Internet Explorer,
move to the right pane. Scroll down to "Do not allow users to enable or
disable add-ons." Double-click that option and select "Not configured."

Then drill down through User Configuration> Administrative Templates> etc
and check the same setting.

If both are set to "Not configured" I would move on to the Safe Mode or
uninstall/reinstall IE7 procedures.

Should you wish to search the registry for that key...
1. Start> Run> (type in) regedit, hit Enter.
2. Select "My Computer"in the regedit window, then go to File> Export. Save
the file to a convenient location.
3. Go to Edit> Find and enter NoExtensionManagement in the Find field. Click
on "Find next" and wait. Registry searches can take a while.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Trecky said:
Hi

I am running XP PROF SP2

:

[...]

Thanks heaps for your help, much appreciated.
I checked gpedit.msc yesterday and all is checked as not configured so that
part seems ok.
Looks like the next option is to start in safe mode.

Just a question if I export the registry can I save under my documents. Just
a bit tentative when it comes to the registry.

Thanks Trecky

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Caution is good. The exported registry can be stored in any convenient
location. Creating a System Restore point will also create a backup.

Start>Programs> Accessories> System tools> System restore.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Trecky said:
[...]

James Reynolds

Hello

Here is a way around the problem.

Go to the START menu and click on the SEARCH tab.

Now type in INTERNET EXPLORER.

This will open an Internet Exporer that has it's Add-ons working.

It will also post an INTERNET EXPLORER 'e' icon in the START menu, that you
can use to open Internet Explorers with the Add-ons working normally.

You might have to remove unwanted START icons that are above this new 'e'
icon in the list.

You will find that you can access the Manage Add-ons now, if you need to.

You can delete the Internet Exporer Add-ons Not Working icon now.

James

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/137513808.aspx