Empty country/region list in CPnl>Phone and Modem Options>Location Information dialog!

G

I have a new installation of Windows XP Pro (with all service packs and critical patches installed) that has Office 2003 Pro installed. After getting this system all set up as a new dev system, I just discovered that the Phone and Modem options seem to be misbehaving in a way that is really difficult to deal with.

Double-clicking on the Phone and Modem Options applet in control panel brings up the Location Information dialog, BUT the "what country/region are you in now" drop down list is completely empty. The other fields are text boxes and you can enter text in them, but the form will not save without an entry in the country/region field.

*** THe impact of this: Any time I try to modify or create an entry in Outlook Contacts it raises the Location Information dialog. I can't satisfy it, since the drop-down list is blank, and pressing Cancel merely re-raises the dialog. The only way to proceed seems to be to ignore the dialog and switch back to Outlook - then once Outlook is closed you can close the Location Information dialog. ???

Is this list stored somewhere in a data file or registry that can be re-set without reinstalling XP? I just finished a day of setup on this machine and the simple "reinstall Windows" or "run Windows repair and lose the app settings for everything installed" are not very appealing at the moment...

THANKS in advance for any ideas and answers!

Regards,

Joel

Reaction score
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbA==?= said:
I have a new installation of Windows XP Pro (with all service packs and critical patches installed) that has Office 2003 Pro installed. After getting this system all set up as a new dev system, I just discovered that the Phone and Modem options seem to be misbehaving in a way that is really difficult to deal with.

Double-clicking on the Phone and Modem Options applet in control panel brings up the Location Information dialog, BUT the "what country/region are you in now" drop down list is completely empty. The other fields are text boxes and you can enter text in them, but the form will not save without an entry in the country/region field.

*** THe impact of this: Any time I try to modify or create an entry in Outlook Contacts it raises the Location Information dialog. I can't satisfy it, since the drop-down list is blank, and pressing Cancel merely re-raises the dialog. The only way to proceed seems to be to ignore the dialog and switch back to Outlook - then once Outlook is closed you can close the Location Information dialog. ???

Is this list stored somewhere in a data file or registry that can be re-set without reinstalling XP? I just finished a day of setup on this machine and the simple "reinstall Windows" or "run Windows repair and lose the app settings for everything installed" are not very appealing at the moment...

THANKS in advance for any ideas and answers!

Regards,

Joel

did you ever get an answer to this? i'm having this same problem now. i have Office2003 installed on Win2003 Enterprise Server. will that make a difference?

Ask a Question