Empite Earth - Won't run and compatibility mode is erroring

Mark G.

In a previous post I posted the details of my problem as listed and got one
answer. Since then, I have tried many more things even to the point of
completely defaulting back to windows display driver. Then I tried running
it in win 98/ms comp. mode, but get this error: "Unable to lead
function:FT_Thunk(KERNEL32.dll)". This game worked before XP Pro. Not sure
what else to do. Have not tried loading the game on the same hard drive as
the OS as I would like to keep it where it is. Have read through many of
posts to see if something would help and see a lot of cookie cutter answers.
Need something more than that. Can anyone please help???? Are there any
known problems with playing Empire Earth on XP Pro with a MSI G3Ti200 Pro
video card? If you read below, you will see the original post. PLEASE HELP.
Thank you.

Someone please help here. Only been using Xp Pro for a short while and I
installed Empire Earth. Also installed the patch. All my drivers are up to
date as well. What happens is that when I double click on the desktop icon
to play the game, it does nothing although though light on my computer
indicates that it is working and this is the only thing I am attempting to
do. I am running direct X 9.0b and running out of patients. I ran the dxdiag
tests to check and all is fine. Am running a PII 800 with 512mb of ram and a
Geforce 3 Ti200 Pro with 128mb ddr ram. I have two hard drives on my
machine. One 20gig from which the OS is on and a few other things and then
one 120gig which holds data, game apps, etc... This other drive is where I
installed the game, but do not see how that can pose a problem. Thanks for
the help in advance and hope to find a resolution.

-------------------------------------

Are you using an administrator account to run the game?

If you check the shortcut properties to see what .exe file is getting
launched and run the .exe directly from your second drive does the program
launch?

Mark G.

Now I even installed it on the same drive as my OS, but still, after
installing and go to try to play and click the icon to do so, nothing
happens. Help here please.

Mark G.

Figured it out. For some reason when installing the original Empire Earth,
it never asked for the CD Key when installing it that is what was holding it
back. What I did was install the expansion, the Art of Conquest, and it
asked for the CD Key upon installation and when finished, it all loaded up
good. Seems strange and these aren't even pirated copies. Anyone ever
experience anything similar to this?

Jimmy S.

Hi Mark,

Double check your drivers again, especially since you've
downgraded them, and verify the chipset drivers as well.

Updating video card drivers can solve most gaming issues. Here's some
rules of thumb though to always keep in mind. Shut DL accelerators, fire-
walls and antivirus programs off while downloading or installing drivers and
updates. Also check the game's website (or Fileplanet.com) for patches.

Before you update your drivers, I recommend that you install DirectX 9.0b*:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/9/c/c9c8a1d4-7690-4c98-baf3-0c67e7f3751f/dx90b_redist.exe

Here are the steps I recommend you use to update your driver. If you've
never done this before I recommend you also look over the Nvidia's FAQ: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=support_faqs

2. Download the latest driver v. 45.23 for your Nvidia Card:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_45.23

3. Save the .exe driver in My Documents\My Drivers\Nvidia 4523
4. Restart the computer in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key
about once every second as it's rebooting to pick Safe Mode.

5. Click Start / (settings) Control Panel / System / Hardware
Device Manager / expand +Display Adapters / right click on
the adapter, pick "Uninstall", and click No if asked to reboot.

6. Use Control Panel / Add-Remove programs to uninstall the
previous driver (exe)software which may have been installed.

7. Restart the computer in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key
about once every second as it's rebooting to pick Safe Mode.

8. If Windows prompts you to install the adapter, click "Cancel".

9. Double click the 44.03 driver we saved to My Documents\
Drivers\Geforce folder in step 3 to install.it. If it complains about
Windows Logo Certification just click "Continue". This is normal.

10. After you reboot, go to Control Panel / Display / Settings and
choose 32 bit Color Quality, and 1024x768 Screen Resolution.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Test your drivers using DXDiag: Click Start / Run / type: DXDIAG
Click the "Test" buttons in the Display, Sound, Music & Network Tabs;
If any of the Display options are Disabled and you cannot Enable them,
your most likely solution would be to update your Chipset Drivers as per:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/Video.html#v11

Along with your Video card, Sound Cards, Motherboard Chipsets,
and Video Monitors may also require updated drivers. Even your
motherboard's BIOS may need to be updated for compatibility with
your Video card. These steps are listed at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

Perhaps the old Nvidia drivers did not completely uninstall. If that's the
case, use this utility to completely uninstall the drivers and go to step 7:
http://content.guru3d.com/index.php?page=detonatorrip&menu=0

The latest video drivers sometime don't work with a particular game.
(Check the Video suggestions in the readme.txt file in your game folder/CD)
If there's no suggestions, try an older (WHQL) driver, and/or if you still
experience problems try a Beta driver, or even an Omega driver instead:

BETA Drivers: http://download.guru3d.com/
OMEGA Drivers: http://www.omegacorner.com/

There you have it, if you have any questions feel free to post them! :)

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

Jimmy S.

Thanks for the 411 Mark. We'll keep that advice
handy for the next person. Did you install a demo
version of the game before installing the original?

--
> [...]

| > > do. I am running direct X 9.0b and running out of patients. I ran the
| > dxdiag
| > > tests to check and all is fine. Am running a PII 800 with 512mb of ram
| and
| > > Geforce 3 Ti200 Pro with 128mb ddr ram. I have two hard drives on my
| > > machine. One 20gig from which the OS is on and a few other things and
| then
| > > one 120gig which holds data, game apps, etc... This other drive is where
| > > installed the game, but do not see how that can pose a problem. Thanks
| for
| > > the help in advance and hope to find a resolution.

| > > Are you using an administrator account to run the game?
| > >
| > > If you check the shortcut properties to see what .exe file is getting
| > > launched and run the .exe directly from your second drive does the

Mark G.

No, this was not a demo. Seems you learn something new everyday, ehh?
Jimmy S. said:
[...]

It would be boring if we didn't wouldn't it! d:^)

Cheers,
Jimmy.