email rule with exception


G

Guest

I need to write a rule that moves items to a folder unless they have a
specific subject. I can't find a way to write this.
To be clear the rule would say:
Send all mail from Lisa to the Office subfolder
UNLESS the subject matter is 134313
in which case, leave it in the inbox
 
Ad

Advertisements

F

F. H. Muffman

Rick said:
I need to write a rule that moves items to a folder unless they have a
specific subject. I can't find a way to write this.
To be clear the rule would say:
Send all mail from Lisa to the Office subfolder
UNLESS the subject matter is 134313
in which case, leave it in the inbox


Are you creating the rule manually?

I mean...

Apply this rule after message arrives
from <contact entry>
and on this machine only
move a copy to the <folder> folder
except if the subject contains <words>

seems like is what you would want. What version of Outlook? What does your
rule say right now?
 
G

Guest

I don't have a rule now. The others I tried didn't work but they weren't
written the way you have suggested. I'll give it a shot.
I'm using Outlook2003
I was trying to create it manually. Is there a better way?
Thanks for getting back to me.
 
F

F. H. Muffman

Rick said:
I don't have a rule now. The others I tried didn't work but they weren't
written the way you have suggested. I'll give it a shot.
I'm using Outlook2003
I was trying to create it manually. Is there a better way?
Thanks for getting back to me.

No, you'd create it manually. If the rule doesn't work, be sure to give us
the text of the rule itself, feel free to <> out the underlined bits you
specify.
 
G

Guest

I wrote the rule as you said and it works. I'm wondering if I can make one
refinement.
What i'm really trying to do is move the rule from the inbox to a subfolder
(office) unless the subject matter contains <<4941419117711>>. The new rule
works great but leaves the original in the inbox. Is there a way to copy it
to the subfolder and then delete it from the inbox folder unless it contains
the number string?
 
Ad

Advertisements

F

F. H. Muffman

Rick said:
I wrote the rule as you said and it works. I'm wondering if I can make one
refinement.
What i'm really trying to do is move the rule from the inbox to a
subfolder
(office) unless the subject matter contains <<4941419117711>>. The new
rule
works great but leaves the original in the inbox. Is there a way to copy
it
to the subfolder and then delete it from the inbox folder unless it
contains
the number string?

Does the rule read exactly as I wrote? If it does, then you likely have
another rule that is affecting the message. You may want to add the 'And
stop processing more rules action'. If it doesn't, and the only difference
*isn't* 'and on this machine only', you'll need to share what the rule says.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top