Editting UNIX text files

My FrontPage 2003 web site http://www.AboutUtila.com is hosted on a LINUX
Apache ASP service with FrontPage extensions.

(a) If I copy a CGI file from the server to my local computer (Windows XP
with FrontPage 2003) using FrontPage and then publish it back to the server
everything is OK.
(b) If I copy a CGI file from the server to my local computer, rename the
file using FrontPage and then publish it back to the server everything is OK.
(c) If I copy a CGI file from the server and then edit the file using
FrontPage as the text editor, then when the file is published back to the
LINUX server, the server returns Error 500 Internal Server error when I
attempt to run the script.

I have tried editting the file within Frontpage using both FrontPage as the
text editor and Notepad as the text editor, but the result is the same.
Any ideas how to resolve this problem?
Thanks
Mark Smith
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Thomas A. Rowe

Always edit the file outside of FP in notepad and upload with a FTP application.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Ronx

FrontPage treats .cgi files as binaries (FP2003 can be set to treat the
files as text, but not previous versions.) If you move the file with FP,
rename it, then move it back, you are not altering the contents of the file
and it will continue working correctly.
If you edit the file on a Windows machine you are opening a file that uses
Unix line-endings, and converting it to Windows format. Moving the edited
file back to the server places a Windows file on a Unix server - it will not
work correctly.
Use Text-Pad (www.textpad.com) to edit the file - a configuration setting
in Text-Pad will use Unix style line endings when editing, or use an FTP
program to upload the file, with the files extension set to upload as text.
If using FP2003, use Options - FTP tab and add the files extension to the
list of ASCII file transfers. As far as I can tell (based on results with my
own Unix server) the FTP settings are also used for the HTTP transfer as
well, (though I have not seen this documented anywhere).

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

"AboutUtila.com WebMaster" <AboutUtila.com
news:[email protected]...