Windows XP Ebay driving me mad!

Reaction score
Okay guys here goes-I am running XP SP2 on a partitioned drive of 40Gs,I have dial up on Virgin.net and I am a regestered user of Ebay which is the only site that I am having trouble with,I usually get on the home page and maybe a couple of links and then I get "this page is unavailable".At first I thought this was a ebay server problem but it has gone on too long now.I did all the obvious things first,checked and unchecked every box in internet options,disabled pup ups and firewall,deleted temp internet files and cleared the cookie cashe then performed a system restore.

I have also ran the following without much joy:
1.SpybotSD
2.Spydoctor (full version)
3.Ad-Aware
4.NoAdware
5.SpywareBlaster
6.CCleaner
7.The Cleaner
8.Winclean
9.Norton Anti Virus 2002
10.No Malware

I contacted Ebay but they were not much help (or interested)

I have removed extra user accounts and binned everything I dont use and I really dont know where to go now- a system recovery seams rather drastic for a small problem like this and would it help?I presume this is a cookie problem or a block problem but I have tried disabling every thing and it makes no odds.I realise Ebay is quite a complex site but I can surf any other auction site without any probs.The crazy thing is that it does not happen everytime,on Saturday I was allowed as many pages as I wanted,I made a system check point there and then but today it doesnt work again-aaagh! Is there something blindingly obvious that I have missed?
Any light shed on this matter would be very much welcome.

A rather bemused and fed up customer.

Reaction score
does it seem to happen when you making a purchase?

open IE, click HELP, then ABOUT, what does it say next to cipher strength?

Reaction score
I had this when i manually networked my pc's together,

Bringing in the internet on one pc and taking a cable out of the pc, this was due to the firewall and DNS settings.

Change your DNS to a other providers DNS settings, see if this helps.

Chris,

Reaction score
Already checked out the cipher stenth Techy its 128 bit which I beleive is fine.Chrisimrie,could you run the DNS deal past me again-how do I change them?

Reaction score
Not sure what I have done but it seems i can view pages now,but i cant "make a bit "or "watch this item" any clues?

Reaction score
download fire fox browser and see if it still does it, also if you think its spyware related which i dont, try spy sweeper(free 30 day trial)

After SP2 upgrade I cant open the links in www.keelkoo.co.uk to view offers. Fine in firefox but not in IE6

Reaction score
Ebay Logon Problems

Hillclimber,

Did you manage to fix your problem ? If so how ? I have exactly the same problem and it's driving me nuts. I have even re-formatted and the problem is still there !!!!

Reaction score
Can't login to myebay

Hmmm just tried firefox and got error message "the document contains no data". All other websites seem to work. Strangely I managed to get into myebay this morning using IE6 and it worked fine but hey guess what .... tonight it's back to its annoying self rejecting me everytime I try to log in.

Anyone got any further ideas before I give up completely ???? Please help me keep my sanity !!!

Ask a Question