"Easy Transfer" download difficulty (to Windows 2000)...

Hello! Can anyone out there help me?

I have an old but, I think, still fairly 'healthy' machine with Windows 2000
(long since updated with Service Pack 4, as I have noted is required for what
I'm trying to do here).

I intend soon to purchase and upgrade to Widows Vista.

Before doing so, I have been trying to download "Easy Transfer" from the
page which (upon clicking the 'validation' button) follows after this one...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...31-973A-45C7-A4EC-4928FA173266&displaylang=en
.... (the follow-on URL itself not given here, because it's horribly long).

This following page declares "Download Windows Easy Transfer for your...
Windows 2000 based PC". Hoorah! That's me, so I'm in the right place, at
least.

Next, I read "... This software enables you to transfer data with Easy
Transfer Cables (Windows 2000 not supported) or across a network, external
drive, or CD/DVD." I take this to mean that my Windows 2000 will not
co-operate with the Cable method, but will do so with the other methods
mentioned. So - I will go ahead and download it, then.

Since my machine's processor is x86, I figure I need to go for this one -
tfrcable_x86.exe

It seems to be working... but then comes a little Setup Error message,
saying "The version of Windows you have installed does not match the update
you are trying to install."

Oh. That's funny. What can be wrong?

Well, I may as well just try that other alternative, then - tfrcable_x64.exe

Nope - this time I am finally told "Extraction failed. update\update.exe is
not a valid Win32 application."

So - how the heck do I obtain "Easy Transfer".

Now, I believe that this software will anyway be provided together with my
new Vista package. But - won't the same problem happen again, at that stage?

Why can I not download it from the web?

Yours,
Perplexed of Oxford, UK :blush:S

Vik

You definitely need the x86 version (tfrcable_x86.exe). When you do get a
Vista PC you will be able to create a wizard onto media and then run it
directly off the media. BTW, what version of IE are you using? This isn't a
fix for your issue but to get you going quickly can you pull this down from
another machine (XP SP2) and then run the executable on your Win2K box?

JW

Chad,
We realize that you are very experienced, however, it would be a lot more
appropriate if you at least impart a little of your extensive knowledge when
you respond to a post if you said something like.
"Try the following to solve your problem and if that does not work then I
suggest that you re post your problem in the Vista xxxx newsgroup." and
newsgroup in xxxx should be the appropriate one not always the Vista General
Newsgroup.

And then provide a possible solution.

Those of us that have been providing support in this newsgroup since last
summer often refer posters here to other newsgroups but we normally try and
offer a suggestion at the same time or point out that the newsgroup that we
are suggesting that the OP re post in has lots of threads on issues like
his.

[...]

Thank You very kindly, Vik, for your advice.

I will now reply back to You on my subject using the email address listed
for You, rather than here. (Hope that'll be acceptable).

Blessings to +ALL+ who post here!
Nick C
Oxford, UK

You are welcome. The installer that exists on Download Center is really meant
for XP users since the installer contains the WinUSB driver that is meant for
USB Cable migration (similar to that which ships with the Bekin cable). This
isn't supported in Win2K. Also, the only scenario that is supported for Win2K
users is data migration so you won't get the benefit of migrating App and OS
Settings.

If you use the Wizard created off the Vista box that should work for you :)

Cheers!
-Vik