Easy CD Creator 5.3 doesn't work any more (E80041916: TrackWriter error- Insufficient memory) ???

CD Guy

At some point between 2 to 4 weeks ago, a problem has developed with
Easy CD Creator 5.x on a Win-98 computer.

When using Easy CD Creator 5.3 to burn some files onto a blank CD-R,
my experience is:

-------------
Select files for burning onto blank CD-R media
- Two progress bars are shown
- When the "burn" button is hit, the first bar is active and goes to
100% (several times?) as the files to be burned are checked out.
Then that bar stays at 100%
- Next, the second bar (burn process) remains blank, and it seems for
a few seconds that the burn process will start, but then the drive
spins down and the CD is ejected. An error message appears saying
the burn was not successful. When details are selected, it reads:

CD Creation Errors

E80041916: TrackWriter error
- Insufficient memory to complete the operation

When the messages are closed, and when CD Creator is closed, a
final error message appears with "Creatr50" in the title bar:

- This program has performed an illegal operation and will be
shut down.
Details: Creatr50 caused an invalid page fault in module
KERNEL32.DLL (etc).
--------------

The specs of the hardware:
OS: Windows-98se, Intel P-4, 512 mb ram
80 gb hard drive partitioned as:
C drive 32 gb (20 gb free)
D drive 32 gb (32 gb free)

CDRW drive:
Made by LG (formerly Goldstar)
Model HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8527B

This computer has been burning many CD-R's over the past year or two
with no change to the amount of RAM installed, and any other changes
have been updates or patches from Microsoft WindowsUpdate, as well as
updates to Norton AntiVirus 2002, AdAware, and Spybot. The last CD
that was burned successfully was in late November - 2005. Between
approx. Nov 25 and Dec 20 is when this problem developed.

Internet and usenet searches don't really turn up much information.
Some posts (in April and October 2002) indicate that some people have
seen this before:

"I have 512 MB of memory, and 20 Gb of free disk space in
the specified temporary directory" and "I have 512 megs of
RAM, how much is enough?"

This problem has been replicated on 3 other computers with similar
hardware (they all started with the same cloned disk image of Windows
98 that was created about 2 years ago).

Some people have indicated that having too much ram (ie 1024 mb) can
cause this problem (but in my case I have 512 mb). It has also been
mentioned that a Klez virus can be responsible for this problem - but
special Klez scanning and removal software has been run and has found
no trace of Klez.

I have un-installed Easy CD creator on one machine (and have gone into
the registry and manually deleted all adaptec/roxio/easy_cd entries)
and re-installed the software as follows:

Fresh install from CD
Easy CD Creator (basic) Version 5.3.0.107

Still can't burn a cd (get same error). I then install this item:

ecdc_v5.3.5.10_basic_enu.exe (version 5.3.5.10)

follows by this:

5.3.5.10q_up.exe (version 5.3.5.10q)

And still get the same error when trying to burn.

There have been 2 recent microsoft updates applied to the computer
that coincide with the appearance of this problem:

DirectX update KB904706
Cumulative IE update KB896688

The following updates have not (yet) been applied:

Cumulative IE update KB905915
Win98 Security update KB908519
Security update KB891711

A google web search for "E80041916" returns this link:

http://boards.support.roxio.com/roxio/board/message?board.id=ez6p_cc&message.id=714

But that link just seems to display the main forum page and not a
specific message.

When viewing Google's cached version of that link, it appears that
there was a thread relating to error number E80041916 posted in May or
June 2003 in the Easy CD-Creator 6 forum. Strange - but it appears
that Roxio has wiped out all the old posts and I can only see posts
(in any forum) no older than Jan 4 / 2006.

Google is indicating that it has 20 results cached from the above
thread, but results 11 through 20 do not seem to bring up the
associated posting (so I don't know how, or if, that issue was
resolved in that forum).

I tried to register on the Roxio discussion groups so I could post my
question there, but the "new user" registration page doesn't seem to
be taking my registration information.

This is really bugging my ass. Has anyone running Easy CD Creator 5.x
have any problems recently with error E80041916: TrackWriter error?

I'm leaning towards Microsoft updates KB904706 and KB896688 because
that's the only thing that has changed recently. Are there any known
issues with those updates?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Easy CD Creator 5.3 is obsolete. You need the latest version.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

> [...]
| June 2003 in the Easy CD-Creator 6 forum. Strange - but it appears
| that Roxio has wiped out all the old posts and I can only see posts
| (in any forum) no older than Jan 4 / 2006.
|
| Google is indicating that it has 20 results cached from the above
| thread, but results 11 through 20 do not seem to bring up the
| associated posting (so I don't know how, or if, that issue was
| resolved in that forum).
|
| I tried to register on the Roxio discussion groups so I could post my
| question there, but the "new user" registration page doesn't seem to
| be taking my registration information.
|
| This is really bugging my ass. Has anyone running Easy CD Creator 5.x
| have any problems recently with error E80041916: TrackWriter error?
|
| I'm leaning towards Microsoft updates KB904706 and KB896688 because
| that's the only thing that has changed recently. Are there any known

CD Guy

Carey Frisch said:
Easy CD Creator 5.3 is obsolete. You need the latest version.

You want to give me a more recent version (or point me to a link where
I can download an OEM basic version) ???

Reason I have 5.3 is because it was included with the CDRW drives that
we bulk-purchase every once in a while (LG CDRW drives). But a couple
of years ago, LG changed the OEM software that comes with these drives
to Nero 6.x. I think the basic Nero software sucks, so we stick with
the old Easy CD Creator. It's only used for generating software
distribution disks. These are not power-users using this software.

I'd like to know why all of a sudden it's broken - and if some recent
Windows updates are responsible.

I've been reading where lots of people are very upset with KB904706
and KB896688.

Michael Stevens

In
CD Guy said:
You want to give me a more recent version (or point me to a link where
I can download an OEM basic version) ???

Reason I have 5.3 is because it was included with the CDRW drives that
we bulk-purchase every once in a while (LG CDRW drives). But a couple
of years ago, LG changed the OEM software that comes with these drives
to Nero 6.x. I think the basic Nero software sucks, so we stick with
the old Easy CD Creator. It's only used for generating software
distribution disks. These are not power-users using this software.

I'd like to know why all of a sudden it's broken - and if some recent
Windows updates are responsible.

I've been reading where lots of people are very upset with KB904706
and KB896688.

Check the Sonic/Roxio web site and this is a XP newsgroup, ask your Win 98
questions in the Windows 98 newsgroups.

List of Microsoft newsgroups.

http://www.aumha.org/support.htm
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

Dubious Dude

Carey said:
Easy CD Creator 5.3 is obsolete. You need the latest version.

Another solution may be to move onto something else:

* Sony CD Extreme
* BurnAtOnce
* CDBurnerXP
* DeepBurner
* Burn4Free

I made my first data backup with Easy CD Creator 5.x. No error
messages. It's certainly less frustrating than the balking that you
might get from some burner software. Until you check the backed up
data and realize that it's far, far better to get complaints about the
inability to burn things then to be allowed to assume that
everything's OK. It has taken a while, and I'm still working on
problems getting the above to work, but at least I know when they do.
For example, CD Extreme & BurnAtOnce work with single session burns.
The others, I'm still sorting out problems with unrecognized SCSI
command field values. I suspect that installing ForceASPI will solve
those problems, though I've had to put it off due to time constraints.

Please note: Follow-up postings set to default to alt.comp.periphs.cdr.

Bill in Co.

Try reinstalling it.
And why are you posting this on the win98 or winXP general newsgroups?
Just ask on the multimedia newsgroups, where it belongs.

smh

.. -------------------------------------------
how HUGE are your BALLS, Adrian Miller?
Only a trashy company like Roxio or Adaptec
let loosed in Usenet this utter trash
Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR
-----------------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
----------------------

Carey Frisch said:
Easy CD Creator 5.3 is obsolete. You need the latest version.

Will a newer version fix problems?

Roxio, What a Joke (FRAUD) - "0.9x" DAE Speed Bug Returns

cRoxio, what's the excuse now? Was it Microsoft, El Nino or God?

From: smh
Subject: TEAC W552E EZCD6
Date: 5/4/03
Are there any reported issues with the above ?
I'm having bad audio extraction rates (i.e. x1) reported.

Don't tell me the infamous "0.9x" DAE Speed bug returned!

----------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)
----------------------------

Easy Coaster Creator 4.0 was released with the following bug:

Major bugs fixed in 4.02 (in 3/00, 7 months after its release):

System Tests for Digital Audio Extraction. Copying audio tracks from
CD to hard disk or CD-R gave much slower results in version 4 than
version 3.x for some CD-ROM drives, so with some systems it was
impossible to copy audio tracks directly from CD to CD-R.

[ In plain language, the System Tests gives "0.9x" as the DAE speed
of most, if not all, CD drives. (Acraptec tacitly acknowledged
that ALL IDE CD drives were affected by the bug.) ]

The reason why Ezcd 4.0 was released with such a bug is this:
=======================
From: Adrian Miller (Acraptec)
Date: 4/7/00
Subject: Acraptec Gibberish 101 and === More LIES ===

The DAE issue did not show up until after shipping of 4.00.
During beta testing all the testers reported DAE speeds in 4.00
similar to what they got in 3.5c.
======================

The beta testers did not discover the bug despite having a "significant"
beta program:
======================
From: Mike Richter
Date: 9/2/99
Subject: EZ Creator 4. 0 - True it has MAJOR bugs ?

They had a significant beta program ...
=====================

Imagine having a "significant" beta program, yet cannot even find an
'impossible not to detect' bug!

[ See the end why it's an 'impossible not to detect' bug.]

Mikey Richter's weasel excuses why beta test did not find the bug are:

======================
From: Mike Richter
Date: 4/6/02
Subject: Shitty Beta Testing at Roxio-Adaptec
What is the point of beta testing at all
if you do not use representative sample of burners in use.

Not all beta testers use Plextors or SCSI, but while I was testing
for them, many of us did. In general, beta test is for functionality
rather than diversity - that is, the company wants competence in
determining and reporting performance, not variety of hardware.
Hardware testing requires many drives, firmware versions,
motherboards and so on. It is generally done by the manufacturer
(alpha level) because they have the hardware.

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shit)
Date: 4/7/02
... beta testing is used to find hw
incompatibilities as well. It just strikes me as odd that a
significant problem with ide dae could get pass any
reasonably diligent testing program.

Beta testing finds whatever the testers turn up. Given the variety of
hardware on which CD recording depends, that means that compatibility
per se is examined at alpha or through public beta. AFAIK, neither
Adaptec in the past nor Roxio more recently has ever conducted a
public beta. With a manageable base of external testers, there's
little hope of turning up hardware incompatibilities so the
publisher does whatever it manages at the alpha level.
======================

What a weasel cockamamie mumbo jumbo Mikey spins!

Regardless whether beta test is only for functionality and not for
hardware incompatibility, this bug is 'impossible' to miss:

=======================
From: Adrian Miller (Acraptec)
Subject: smh is wasting bandwidth again
Date: 4/14/00

the program insists that [System] tests are run on drives
when it is first run
=======================

System Tests has to be run when Ezcd is first used! That is, hardware
testing is forced!

Mikey Richter's weasel excuse that beta testing did not find the
"impossible not to detect" bug because beta testing is not for hardware
incompatibility is an unadulterated, white LIE (FRAUD).

Mike Richter

CD said:
At some point between 2 to 4 weeks ago, a problem has developed with
Easy CD Creator 5.x on a Win-98 computer.

Others have chastised you for posting to the universe as a whole; since
I am reading in an appropriate group, I'll offer what help I can.

The problem with obsolete software is not that you need to upgrade but
that few are still running it, so there's not much hope of help. I left
ECDC for WinOnCD at about the same version you have, then moved to Nero
about two years ago.

A later version of Roxio's software is unlikely to solve your problem;
compatibility with 98SE has not been a high priority for some time and
it appears that your difficulty originates in Windows' memory
management. That is supported both by the error message during the burn
and by the one when you shut down the app.

You provide a thorough definition of your system and the event, but not
a description of the sort of burn you are trying. If it is *not* a
simple data burn from the hard drive, then try that elementary step. If
such a modest burn does not work, I'd blame the OS patches; try backing
them out to see if they are the cause. Unfortunately, if they are, I
don't know how you can both secure your system and continue to use the
software.

If you were trying a more difficult burn such as writing CD-DA from MP3
on the fly, then memory itself can be the problem. IIRC, the problem
with memory occurred at 256 MB and was due to the auxiliary chips not to
Windows itself.

And if you do have anything further to report, please pick one forum
such as a.c.p.c. where I read your post.

Mike

I am still usung EZ4.05 which is the max upgrade from 2.x.
Am having no problems sence I got rid of the LG burner.
One thing you might try out is slow down both the read and burn speeds.
The new burners are too fast sometimes.
The burner I'm useing,and really like,I ripped out of an old Compaq
Presario PC.
It reads at 32X.
It burns at 12X max. Works great for successful burns each time.

smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin Shit) crapped:
A later version of Roxio's software is unlikely to solve your problem;
compatibility with 98SE has not been a high priority for some time

Do you think had Win98SE been high priority, Easy CD Cremator would not
have problems with Win98SE, Mikey?

Win2K must not also have been the high priority with Easy CD Mangler 5:

CD Creator 5 Platinum Tangles With Windows 2000

Stop! Don't install Easy CD Creator 5 til you read this story
Easy CD Creator saga continues
Roxio replies over Easy CD Creator problems
Easy CD Creator problems just won't go away

Microsoft posts warning over Easy CD Creator
More woe over Easy CD Creator

smh

--------------------------------------

From: Joe Pyles
Date: 5/8/01
Subject: CD Creator 5 Platinum Tangles With Windows 2000

John Smith said:
Replace 'a car' with 'tires' and say 'Firestone'.

Wow! Roxio is the Firestone of CDR software. I like it.
======================

smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin Shit) crapped:
If you were trying a more difficult burn such as writing CD-DA
from MP3 on the fly, then memory itself can be the problem.

IIRC, the problem with memory occurred at 256 MB and
was due to the auxiliary chips not to Windows itself.

Does the "memory" now do mean RAM, Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin Shit)
Date: 10/6/02
Subject: Easy CD Insufficient Memory
I have Easy CD Creator 5.3.1.154 SP4, Liteon LTR12101B CDRW.
I have 512 MB of memory, and 20 Gb of free disk space

Trying to copy my autoexec.bat file, 1 K, with the Easy CD
gets message

"Memory" in this case probably does not mean RAM.

It may mean space on the hard drive - which is also precluded
by your report. Or it could be some other resource; like
Microsoft, Roxio often fails to generate translatable error
messages.
======================

smh

--------------------------------------
======================
From: Joe Pyles
Date: 5/8/01

Wow! Roxio is the Firestone of CDR software. I like it.
======================

Why didn't Patel & Roxio say until NOW?

Easy CD Cremator 5 Released w/ Critical Bugs

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Beta Tester)
Date: 5/15/01

My own recommendation was to withhold release
until all critical bugs were exterminated

=========================
From: Deirdre Straughan (cRoxio)
Date: 5/30/01

We try to avoid releasing software with critical bugs
- those which can damage systems and/or data.

But it did not turn up in lab or beta testing
=======================

CD said:
Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin Shit) crapped:

In looking into this problem I
located a more recent Creator update (5.3.5.17) and will apply that
update to the problem systems later today.

If you do "upgrade" Easy CD Mangler, be aware of this:

Subject: Roxio 6 / DVD Builder can't see my burner
Date: 12/27/03
Downloaded update from Roxio. It says it installed successfully,
Click OK to reboot. It reboots, it says it installed succussfully,
Click OK to reboot. It reboots, it says it installed succussfully,
Click OK to reboot. It reboots, it says it installed succussfully,
Click OK to reboot. It reboots, it says it installed succussfully,
Click OK to reboot.

Arrrrggghhhhhh

Of course, you made a complete system backup, haven't you? No?

How could you be so careless and thoughtless!

From: smh
Date: 12/15/03
Subject: should I download the update

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin Shit) crapped:
if you are going to update such software, have a complete
system backup first so you can restore to your current conditions
even if the update fails.

Is a backup essential now even for an update of Easy CD Cremator?

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shit)
Date: 5/5/01
Subject: Why uninstall EZCD 5???

I consider an image backup essential
before any major software installation

I suspect that those who have trouble are
also careless - perhaps thoughtless - <=== Careless
<=== Thoughtless
about their use of their computer systems.

Why any competent computer user would fail to 'buy'
such inexpensive insurance is beyond me.

====================
From: "WayneC"
Date: 5/5/01

Yes Mike, I agree, Roxio should post a very BIG warning:
Do not attempt to install ECDC 5 until you have made a full
system backup, removed the backup media and stored it at least
100 yards away from any ECDC 5 component including the box it
came in.

==========================
From: Thomas A. Horsley
Date: 5/6/01

Yes, I imagine that's a habit folks who install Adaptec software
develop quite early in the learning curve

======================
From: "Fishface"
Date: 11/7/02

Is that a representative of Roxio justifying software which
doesn't properly uninstall? Is it so difficult for them to do
that an attempt is made to defend their inability?

Backup? Hell, I'm considering installing it alone on a separate
installation on a separate partition on someone elses computer.
======================

smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin Shit) crapped:
A later version of Roxio's software is unlikely to solve your problem;
compatibility with 98SE has not been a high priority for some time

Didn't Win98SE also throw in a fresh monkey wrench, Mikey?

=====================================
Mike Richter & Monkey Wrench Business
=====================================

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shit)
Date: 7/8/01
Subject: Easy CD Creator 5 vs Win 2000 = HELP!

A post from Adrian indicated that SP2 threw in a fresh monkey wrench.

I do not believe that Roxio has a release of ECDC for Win2K SP2 at this
point. Your choice: SP1 with ECDC or SP2 without.
=======================

(Nero, among other burn softwares, works on Win2k/SP2 -without-
removing the monkey wrench. cRoxio must not consider Win2k/SP2
as Win2k, as it claims Win2k compatible.)

=======================
From: Adrian Miller (cRoxio)
Date: 7/9/01

Mike is correct at this time, SP2 broke a load more stuff.
We are working on it.

======================
From: SandMan
Date: 7/9/01

Isn't it funny how your software *always* gets broke by MS, or
something someone else did? When are you guys and girls ever going
to learn? Sooooooooo many other CDR packages install, uninstall
WITHOUT screwing up ones system, and RUN just fine on win9x, win2k,
win2ksp1, win2ksp2. No wonder you've put your head in the sand, its the
best you can do.

I'm Adapcrap/Roxio free, don't have time to debug the betas you sell
time after time, that never work as advertised, tech support sucks,
and the only thing they really care about is getting the product out
ther door, so they can take our money. Tons of bugs never fixed, and
with each 'release' we get to have 'fun' finding the same old ones
back again, plus for a spin, some news ones.

You guys need to take this to your own newsgroup, and drop out of the
general CDR group. No wonder you have a subscription news-mailer, so
its not totally in the public eye, and you can filter all you like.

Start a new group like;

comp.publish.cdrsoftware.EZ-CD.is.broke.broke.broke

OK I'll let you go back and "work" on some more stuff that just got
broke, have fun, Later!

Joined
May 31, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Same Problem Here

Hi CD Guy! I am experiencing the exact same problem here using Windows 98 and the Easy CD Creator 5.3. I get the same Error Message regarding memory and it is driving me crazy. Have you found out the answer yet? I have downloaded those Microsoft Updates and am now leaning towards this being the source of the problem. Can I uninstall them to go back to an earlier update? I appreciate anyone'e insight :)

Thanks!