Dvd Rom/cd Drive Won't Work!!!!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear people

Someone out there will know the answer to this one.

Please keep any response fairly clear and simple!!!!!!

When inserting a CD/DVD into the F drive, a message comes up to say 'insert a disk'. It looks as though the PC is trying to read the disk but nothing happens other than the above message.

This is a new development - worked OK until yesterday.

Any thoughts/what to do????????????

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
go to control panel, system, hardware, device manager, then select the cd drive, right click and select update driver to see if there is another version on your hard drive

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear KGB

Tried (as above) and still the same. Any other thoughts please?

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Keep it plain and simple for a simple soul please!!

I will try:)

have u tried just one cd/dvd? prehaps it could just be a faulty cd/dvd try other ones too!
Reboot the PC ( if u have not already)

WHen your pc starts up does it display that CD/ DVD drive as it normally would?

let us know the outcome of these three questions please

best wishes psd99

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
gabriella said:
Dear people

Someone out there will know the answer to this one.

Please keep any response fairly clear and simple!!!!!!

When inserting a CD/DVD into the F drive, a message comes up to say 'insert a disk'. It looks as though the PC is trying to read the disk but nothing happens other than the above message.

This is a new development - worked OK until yesterday.

Any thoughts/what to do????????????

Kind regards

Gabriella x
Go to the device manager, uninstall/remove the drive ... reboot, let it reinstall, see if it still happens.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Mucks and PSD

I have done as you have both kindly suggested and nothing is happening.

What do I do next?

Thanks for your unfailing help and patience as always

Gabriella x

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
is it with blank discs or any disc? do the discs work in any other pc's or cd players ? the only thing i can think of is to re-install the drivers as suggested earlier or that the lens may be dirty

muckshifter

Reaction score
I hate to say this but it is probable that the CD/DVD drive is at fault ... especially if it will not read any CDs.

:(

Reaction score
Gabriella,

I presume that you do not open up your pc on a regular basis!?

Well forgive me if you do, for my presumption.
if u do open your pc up or know someone that knows their pc stuff. maybe its time to change the jumper setttings around, changing the IDE cable, and finnaly try the drive in a DIFFERENT machine.its all worth a try be4 going out to buy a new one

please do not ask me to explain this, just ask someone to read my post! and fingers crossed u should have ur drive up and running as per usual!

good luck

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

Well, I have reinstalled the drivers etc... and nothing is happenng.

The latest is that I have a man coming out on Monday to inspect,check,fault find etc..... I haven't the faintest clue what's going on and as it is well beyond my humble capabilities there is no alternative now other than some onsite help.

Dear me,, I am SO useless!

Will let u all know what the outcome is!

Kind regards

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear PSD

Thanx 4 ur reply. I don't understand it and I have never opened up a PC in my life and I dare not to be honest...not my bag at all!

Time to call a little man or woman who knows what they are doing and this is in hand (see above post).

What has occurred to me recently is that people on this site have various skills which (as in my case) may not include PC maintenance etc..... Perhaps we could think about a LETS scheme where people 'trade' skills in one area for another. I appreciate that this would work best where people are located geographically close to one another.

Yours in humble and total ignorance

Gabriella x

muckshifter

Reaction score
Don't feel bad gabriella ... I for one have to leave my car at a garage to be 'fixed' ... but I'm a good driver. :D

I do hope your "little person" knows their stuff and is not just after a 'quick buck' … I've seen too many 'armatures' in this business.

I do get very frustrated at not being able to help further, there is only so much we can do 'on-line' and the geography doesn’t help.

It would be nice to be able to offer a 'better service' than one can give over the internet but I personally can only 'service' Cardiff and the surrounding towns within South Wales. :(

Let us know what happens. :thumb:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks

I used to work alot in Cardiff in a former job so know it quite well. That said, it's a mighty long way from Doncaster.

I dare not say who is coming out to this PC, given previous posts on the subject... BUT we paid for 3 years at home service. I will keep a close eye on person X who lands here on Monday and if in any doubt about his/her capabilities they will not be fiddling with this PC!!!!

Many thanks

Gabriella x

muckshifter

Reaction score
:D :D :D ... good girl, and don't leave them alone with the PC.

:thumb:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all and Mucks

Person 'x' came out today with box of tricks and has replaced the drive cos it was broken. All is well and I am quite thankful for the insurance albeit seemed a bit pricey at the time. Mind you, it has had some 'hammer' these last few months with one thing and another.

Thanks for all your help people, just need to see if I can master copying music to MP3 format!!!

Kind regards

Gabriella x

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well done ...

Glad to hear it's all fixed ... :thumb:

Ask a Question