DVD Quality

Reaction score
I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder, the picture quality is excellent, so excellent in fact that I cannot tell the difference between lowest quality recording (LP) and highest quality (XP). What should I be looking out for and in what circumstances would high quality recording show a significant difference? :)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
In reality, the difference is hardly detectable if you compare the recorded signal against something like a VHS video tape. The biggest difference that I have seen is if you have a lot of fast graphics where the picture quality may not live up to your expectations.

I've been using a Panasonic HDD DVD recorder for about 2 years and have never found the need to move away from the LP option.

Try recording the same material at different ratios and you will be able to see the differences for yourself. You then need to decide whether you are happy with a lower grade of recording, but lots more recording time.

Have fun:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The difference in the quality of DVD is only noticed once you go beyond certain size of monitor and that too if it is high resolution. Generally, in my opinion it is vry difficult to make a judgement a monitor in the vicinity of 29", the bigger the size the better your chances are to differenciate between the two recordings.

What kind of monitor you are using, can you provide details?

Reaction score
Thanks.

I am actually using a rather rare but excellent little 10 inch Panasonic CRT television.

Reaction score
Yes I agree. The size and resolution of the monitor will certainly show you the difference between LP , SP, and XP on a panasonic DVD.If you have a high spec TV then get a Panasonic HDD model and record everything on XP.

Ask a Question