DVD Drive Compatibility Suggestions Needed

Good morning!

I'm hoping you good folks can make some suggestions for me regarding DVD
drive compatibility. I subscribed to TechNet last year on DVD and had lots of
trouble reading the disks. I've also had trouble reading disks from other
vendors - all factory burned. My compatibility rate is about 80-90% with two
different LightScribe drives from HP and a Lite-on in a Gateway. All the
disks read on some older read-only players. No trouble reading CD's or movie
DVD's so far - only data.

Please let me know if you've got a recent drive (especially an external USB)
that is providing 100% compatibility with your TechNet subscription. I
changed my subscription to CD so I could read them all, but really would like
to resolve this so I can switch back to DVD.

I'd also be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences reading/writing
DVD's.

Shenan Stanley

SamSchafer said:
[...]

I have several different DVD drives. Lite-On, Plextor, Sony, BenQ, HP,
etc... None have had trouble with my MSDN subscription DVDs. Plextor
rarely has trouble with anything I put into it. I have to say some of my
older HP drives also show such fortitude and compatibility.

Personally - when I buy now - it's a plextor.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Sam,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I suspect your DVD-ROM has some issues to read the TechNet
DVDs. I'd like to provide you with the following articles for reference:
314060: CD-ROM access is missing and messages cite error code 31, code 32,
code 19, code 39, or code 41 after you remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

320553: CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you
install Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Shenan Stanley" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: DVD Drive Compatibility Suggestions Needed
| Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:39:06 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
|
| SamSchafer wrote:
| > Good morning!
| >
| > I'm hoping you good folks can make some suggestions for me
| > regarding DVD drive compatibility. I subscribed to TechNet last
| > year on DVD and had lots of trouble reading the disks. I've also
| > had trouble reading disks from other vendors - all factory burned.
| > My compatibility rate is about 80-90% with two different
| > LightScribe drives from HP and a Lite-on in a Gateway. All the
| > disks read on some older read-only players. No trouble reading CD's
| > or movie DVD's so far - only data.
| >
| > Please let me know if you've got a recent drive (especially an
| > external USB) that is providing 100% compatibility with your
| > TechNet subscription. I changed my subscription to CD so I could
| > read them all, but really would like to resolve this so I can
| > switch back to DVD.
| >
| > I'd also be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences
| > reading/writing DVD's.
|
| I have several different DVD drives. Lite-On, Plextor, Sony, BenQ, HP,
| etc... None have had trouble with my MSDN subscription DVDs. Plextor
| rarely has trouble with anything I put into it. I have to say some of my
| older HP drives also show such fortitude and compatibility.
|
| Personally - when I buy now - it's a plextor.
|
| --
| Shenan Stanley
| MS-MVP
| --
| How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan,

Thank you for responding, and thanks for the tip. I've read other good
things about Plextor. I'll post back here in a couple of weeks to let you
know what I find...

Ken,

Thank you for responding. I probably should elaborate a little - the problem
is hardware, not OS. I was unable to boot system recovery DVD's, OS
installation DVD's, etc. That rules out OS drivers, Easy CE Creator, etc.
And, it's only certain DVD's. Every one I tried was a factory-burned DVD from
Microsoft or HP. That rules out someone not burning a DVD correctly. Any
other thoughts?
Sam Schafer

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Sam,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I suspect your DVD-ROM has some issues to read the TechNet
DVDs. I'd like to provide you with the following articles for reference:
314060: CD-ROM access is missing and messages cite error code 31, code 32,
code 19, code 39, or code 41 after you remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

320553: CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you
install Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Shenan Stanley" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: DVD Drive Compatibility Suggestions Needed
| Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:39:06 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
|
| SamSchafer wrote:
| > Good morning!
| >
| > I'm hoping you good folks can make some suggestions for me
| > regarding DVD drive compatibility. I subscribed to TechNet last
| > year on DVD and had lots of trouble reading the disks. I've also
| > had trouble reading disks from other vendors - all factory burned.
| > My compatibility rate is about 80-90% with two different
| > LightScribe drives from HP and a Lite-on in a Gateway. All the
| > disks read on some older read-only players. No trouble reading CD's
| > or movie DVD's so far - only data.
| >
| > Please let me know if you've got a recent drive (especially an
| > external USB) that is providing 100% compatibility with your
| > TechNet subscription. I changed my subscription to CD so I could
| > read them all, but really would like to resolve this so I can
| > switch back to DVD.
| >
| > I'd also be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences
| > reading/writing DVD's.
|
| I have several different DVD drives. Lite-On, Plextor, Sony, BenQ, HP,
| etc... None have had trouble with my MSDN subscription DVDs. Plextor
| rarely has trouble with anything I put into it. I have to say some of my
| older HP drives also show such fortitude and compatibility.
|
| Personally - when I buy now - it's a plextor.
|
| --
| Shenan Stanley
| MS-MVP
| --
| How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Sam,

For the current situation, if you have any updates, please feel free to let
us know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?U2FtU2NoYWZlcg==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: DVD Drive Compatibility Suggestions Needed
| Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 06:57:25 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
|
| Shenan,
|
| Thank you for responding, and thanks for the tip. I've read other good
| things about Plextor. I'll post back here in a couple of weeks to let you
| know what I find...
| --
| Thanks,
| Sam Schafer
|

| "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
|
| > SamSchafer wrote:
| > > Good morning!
| > >
| > > I'm hoping you good folks can make some suggestions for me
| > > regarding DVD drive compatibility. I subscribed to TechNet last
| > > year on DVD and had lots of trouble reading the disks. I've also
| > > had trouble reading disks from other vendors - all factory burned.
| > > My compatibility rate is about 80-90% with two different
| > > LightScribe drives from HP and a Lite-on in a Gateway. All the
| > > disks read on some older read-only players. No trouble reading CD's
| > > or movie DVD's so far - only data.
| > >
| > > Please let me know if you've got a recent drive (especially an
| > > external USB) that is providing 100% compatibility with your
| > > TechNet subscription. I changed my subscription to CD so I could
| > > read them all, but really would like to resolve this so I can
| > > switch back to DVD.
| > >
| > > I'd also be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences
| > > reading/writing DVD's.
| >
| > I have several different DVD drives. Lite-On, Plextor, Sony, BenQ, HP,
| > etc... None have had trouble with my MSDN subscription DVDs. Plextor
| > rarely has trouble with anything I put into it. I have to say some of
my
| > older HP drives also show such fortitude and compatibility.
| >
| > Personally - when I buy now - it's a plextor.
| >
| > --
| > Shenan Stanley
| > MS-MVP
| > --
| > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan,

Well, I hunted locally for a Plextor and found none. I checked the major
computer sources in our area - Best Buy, Circuit City, and CompUSA. No one
even had them on their web site. So...

I tried a Memorex drive that got really good compatibilty reviews because I
really don't want to do mail order. Same result.

I'm going to take your advice and get a Plextor. Looks like I'm going to
have to mail order after all. I'll post back here again in a couple of weeks
to let you know how it goes.

Tom Willett

Look for some great deals at www.newegg.com and their shipping is FAST.
I recently purchased a new Samsung from them, and got it in 2 days. Works
like a charm.
It was OEM, and with shipping, cost about $32.

Tom
| Shenan,
|
| Well, I hunted locally for a Plextor and found none. I checked the major
| computer sources in our area - Best Buy, Circuit City, and CompUSA. No one
| even had them on their web site. So...
|
| I tried a Memorex drive that got really good compatibilty reviews because
| really don't want to do mail order. Same result.
|
| I'm going to take your advice and get a Plextor. Looks like I'm going to
| have to mail order after all. I'll post back here again in a couple of
weeks
| to let you know how it goes.
| --
| Thanks,
| Sam Schafer
|

| "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
|
| > SamSchafer wrote:
| > > Good morning!
| > >
| > > I'm hoping you good folks can make some suggestions for me
| > > regarding DVD drive compatibility. I subscribed to TechNet last
| > > year on DVD and had lots of trouble reading the disks. I've also
| > > had trouble reading disks from other vendors - all factory burned.
| > > My compatibility rate is about 80-90% with two different
| > > LightScribe drives from HP and a Lite-on in a Gateway. All the
| > > disks read on some older read-only players. No trouble reading CD's
| > > or movie DVD's so far - only data.
| > >
| > > Please let me know if you've got a recent drive (especially an
| > > external USB) that is providing 100% compatibility with your
| > > TechNet subscription. I changed my subscription to CD so I could
| > > read them all, but really would like to resolve this so I can
| > > switch back to DVD.
| > >
| > > I'd also be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences
| > > reading/writing DVD's.
| >
| > I have several different DVD drives. Lite-On, Plextor, Sony, BenQ, HP,
| > etc... None have had trouble with my MSDN subscription DVDs. Plextor
| > rarely has trouble with anything I put into it. I have to say some of
my
| > older HP drives also show such fortitude and compatibility.
| >
| > Personally - when I buy now - it's a plextor.
| >
| > --
| > Shenan Stanley
| > MS-MVP
| > --
| > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Well, thank you all! I appreciate your participation and suggestions. I will
certainly remember your tips for the future.

Here's what finally happened (short version). I called Plextor, picked a
drive with their guidance. Signed on to newegg.com and found the drive and
price. Before placing the order, wanted to be sure I could get my money back
on the Memorex I'd already bought so I headed to Circuit City.

When I got to Circuit City and told my sales tech what I was about to do, he
said no problem on a refund, but also agreed to take one last shot at filling
the order. He opened a couple of drives so we could try them in the store
with one of my "bad" DVD's. Sony's DRX-830U external drive read the sample
DVD I had with me. I took it home and tried every data DVD in my library. It
read every one. Back in business!

Technology. Ain't it great?