Bricked DVD-Rom drive?

Reaction score
I had an installation of windows 7, and just bought a new audio interface. The drivers weren't supported by 7, and I was having some trouble with it, so I figured I'd just format and go with XP instead. I popped the windows 7 DVD into the drive, restarted and deleted the partition with my windows install on it.

Then I rebooted with the XP disk in the drive, and waited... and waited. What followed was "No bootable device detected." I noticed the BIOS wasn't reading my dvd-rom drive, and POST was running really really slowly. I flashed the CMOS and it removed the problem - my dvd-rom drive was recognized, and POST was back up to speed.

However, i'm still getting the "no bootable device" message when I start up.

I have DVD-rom first on the BIOS boot list, but when I have a dvd in there, the POST process takes a really long time, like it's having trouble reading the disc. I've tried it on other computers, so I know the disc is fine.

Has windows 7 somehow bricked my dvd-rom drive, or are there bigger problems afoot?

Please help!

Ask a Question