DVD CHANGER ???

Bill Vermillion

Smarty wrote on [Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:48:49 -0400]:
Ken,
That is exactly what I do Ken. I actually offered that option
in a subsequent reply, describing how I took DVDs like
Goodfellow (Robert DiNiro) and others which span 2 sides and
reauthor them to 2 disks.
I'm old enough to remember the Garrard turntable which had a
robotic arm which would flip vinyl LP albums years ago. What a
monstrosity. I'm glad this is NOT being done for DVDs.
Does it need to be though? I know there were laserdisc players that
would flip the laser to the other side of the disc, instead of flipping
the disc. Or some similar method where it was the laser that moved or
changed and not the disc.

Comment about first poster's comment on Garrard.

There was also another brand, whose name I've forgotten, that had
three rubber idler wheels mounted vertically that swung in and
sat on the turntable and the disk would fall down and rotate
backwards and the dual sided cartridge would play the bottom side.

When it hit the end the idlers would swing out and the top side
would play.

There are no laser disks that flipped disks but it was a head that
moved out and rotated and then played the other side after changing
the rotational direction.

Then there are those like my LD-W1 that had two trays and a
rotating head so it would play four sides in succession, which made
CAV mutliple disk sets much easier to watch. I'd only have to
change a disk for those set with more than 2 disks - such as the
early imported letterbox CAV Star Wars.

Bill

Bill Vermillion

well yes because LP's had that physical connection with the needle to make
but we've come a long way with electronics
since those days, a laser on either side and a switching circuit would be
all that is needed now but it would add to cost of manufacturing.
They even had lasers that can detect the physical grooves in old LP albums
nowaday and convert the optical data into digital info that is then
converted to music, so it can play old records without a needle or contact,
and correct for scratches and avoid hiss etc..
But these new record players are about $10,000 I believe.
Amazing what lasers can do. Right?

The prices I've seen for those units are 2 to 3 times that.

And they won't play everything. It must be a vinyl disk with the
black dye in the vinyl as transparent vinyl disks or picture disks
aren't readabable.

Bill

AnthonyR

Bill Vermillion said:
The prices I've seen for those units are 2 to 3 times that.

And they won't play everything. It must be a vinyl disk with the
black dye in the vinyl as transparent vinyl disks or picture disks
aren't readabable.

Bill

Bill,
You might be right, I was just guessing the price from memory,
Yikes...that's a lot for a record player.
They do however make all kinds of corrections for pitch distortion and other
linear anomolies which is great.
Maybe the price will drop to $300 one day, so i can afford one? LOL
But by then all my records will already be converted and in the trash as I'm
doing them little at a time now.

AnthonyR.

AnthonyR

Bill Vermillion said:
The prices I've seen for those units are 2 to 3 times that.

And they won't play everything. It must be a vinyl disk with the
black dye in the vinyl as transparent vinyl disks or picture disks
aren't readabable.

Bill

Bill,
You might be right, I was just guessing the price from memory,
Yikes...that's a lot for a record player.
They do however make all kinds of corrections for pitch distortion and other
linear anomalies which is great.
Maybe the price will drop to $300 one day, so i can afford one? LOL
But by then all my records will already be converted and in the trash as I'm
doing them little at a time now.

AnthonyR.

Bill Vermillion

Bill,
You might be right, I was just guessing the price from memory,
Yikes...that's a lot for a record player.

It is targeted to a specific market - places that have archival
storage and are fragile enough that they can not be played on
physical contact equipment without the risk of damage.

Those include a lot of old transcriptions where the lacquer can
start peeling off.

And other delicate things like the stack of 16" glass based
transcriptions I have. Those were used for live recordings on
portable recorders, and the reason for the glass was that during
WWII all aluminum was being used for making such things as
airplanes.

In many respects the glass base was better as it was much flatter -
but it is breakable.
They do however make all kinds of corrections for pitch
distortion and other linear anomolies which is great.

Well I have a turntable that does tempo changes flawlessly.

I've used it to take old recordings that I felt were cut too fast
or too slow and brought them into what I thought felt good. I've
played them for others and they agree with my judgement.

But then I did spend a lot of years as music director in radio
and then wound up as a recording engineer running a fairly costly
[for it's day] recording studio. The day we got it up and running
we had $850,000 invested - and that would take $3-5 Million today.
Analog studios were NOT cheap - nor were huge sound-proof rooms.

But the turntable is a Stanton ST-150. It has a built in
preamp with SPDIF outputs and is locked into the turntable speed
control and pitch. You press the lock pitch button and move the
slider and tempo changes. It was designed for DJ [club] work
but with the S-shaped tone arm it does quite well on the humoungous
stacks of '45s that I accumlated as MD over the years.
Maybe the price will drop to $300 one day, so i can afford one?
LOL But by then all my records will already be converted and in
the trash as I'm doing them little at a time now.

The thing I like about this TT and I have a Stanton cartridge on
it, is that it is rugged enough and the cartridge is exposed enough
so that I can 'wet-play' the disks. Then taking the SPDIF output
and running the click supression on the software I can make decent
transfers. I avoide the noise-reduction as it's really more of a
filter and taking the 'hiss' out that so many dislike also takes
away a good hunk of the music.

Bill

Alpha

Bill Vermillion said:
Smarty wrote on [Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:48:49 -0400]:
Ken,
That is exactly what I do Ken. I actually offered that option
in a subsequent reply, describing how I took DVDs like
Goodfellow (Robert DiNiro) and others which span 2 sides and
reauthor them to 2 disks.
I'm old enough to remember the Garrard turntable which had a
robotic arm which would flip vinyl LP albums years ago. What a
monstrosity. I'm glad this is NOT being done for DVDs.

I have a Garrad turntable...it still works. No service at all in these
decades.

kashe

Blah, blah, top-post, blah, blah summarize, blah, blah,
normal, blah, blah. forces, blah, blah, society, blah, blah, blah,
book, blah, blah, convenion, blah, blah, tiresome (got one right,
finally) ....

Yippee.

Just keep up with the class.

(e-mail address removed) wrote on [Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:00:07 GMT]:
Broken again, jerk.

If they're not keeping up, let them read the rest of the crap.

Because not everyone receives every post in order, or at all. There may
not BE a rest of the crap.

If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough
text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers
understand when they start to read your response. Since NetNews,
especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from one host
to another, it is possible to see a response to a message before seeing
the original.

Top-posting makes posts incomprehensible. Firstly: In normal
conversations, one does not answer to something that has not yet been
said. So it is unclear to reply to the top, whilst the original message
is at the bottom. Secondly: In western society a book is normally read
from top to bottom. Top-posting forces one to stray from this
convention: Reading some at the top, skipping to the bottom to read the
question, and going back to the top to continue. This annoyance
increases even more than linear with the number of top-posts in the
message. If someone replies to a thread and you forgot what the thread
was all about, or that thread was incomplete for some reasons, it will
be quite tiresome to rapidly understand what the thread was all about,
due to bad posting and irrelevant text which has not been removed.

kashe

Alpha wrote on [Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:47:37 -0700]:
In my view, you did it right.

And since you have quoted nothing and added no context whatsoever to
your post, you have made a post that has NO VALUE AT ALL.

Duhhh -- thanks, Perfesser.

AnthonyR

Bill Vermillion said:
[...]

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the informative post.
I transferred most of my old vinyl using the cheaper Stanton STR8-20 and
going into PC with a preamp
and then cleaning and removing pops with the pinnacle "clean" program. It
was pretty buggy however
and since bought the magix audio studio cleaner, but haven't had time to
learn it well, and keep using the clean as i am use to its simplicity.
What's amazing about digital restoration is also how you can capture a sound
sample from the beginning of the record and create
a noise pattern to remove from the rest of the recording, sorry I forgot the
proper terminology at the moment.
The pops can also be removed individually when pretty bad, but I use sound
forge for that. :)
Thanks again.

AnthonyR.

Bob

I transferred most of my old vinyl using the cheaper Stanton STR8-20 and
going into PC with a preamp

Sony used to have a turntable with a built in preamp for $99. I almost
got one until I discovered that most of the content on my vinyl was
also on CD which I could borrow from the interlibrary loan department.
Someone somewhere in the US has almost anything you want in at least
one library.

Bill Vermillion

Sony used to have a turntable with a built in preamp for $99. I almost
got one until I discovered that most of the content on my vinyl was
also on CD which I could borrow from the interlibrary loan department.
Someone somewhere in the US has almost anything you want in at least
one library.

You're lucky being able to find CD copies. I have a friend who
runs an oldies record-store, and I brought in some things he's
never seen before. Many 'turntable' hits that are hard to find.

Then there is my original pink Decca recording of Tony Sheridan and
The Beat Brothers - that I've had for close to 40 years. One owner
so far :) Still in the original sleeve. But that has been issued
thousands of times on different lables, singles, LPs, cassettes and
CDs, but only after everyone re-issued it as a Beatles recording.
Pete Best played drums on that one.

I had a couple of DJ copies I transfered that I did some checking
and found DJ copies for sale in the $60 and up price range. But
the seller would include a transfer to CD along with the original
record. Since at times I was playing recording on the air up
to 6 hours day I tended to collect the unknown as I heard the hits
more often than I'd care to. But someone had to do it :)

Bill

Bill Vermillion

"Bill Vermillion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

[lots deleted - wjv]

[regarding the laser LP player]
[...]

The wet-playing can remove a lot of noise - and when I show it to
people they don't believe.

I used to have an old LencoClean - which is a wet-playing device
that tracks a moist pad across the groove when it plays.

But they aren't available in the US anymore. I've found links
that show they are still available in Europe - but the places
that I found to buy them won't ship outside of Europe because
of insurance problems [as noted on their site].

So for the 45's and less-than-audiophile-quality LPs I mix up a
small solution of pure water with a couple of drops of a wetting
agent. And then 'paint' it on the surface with a small brush.

The Stanton 680HP cartridge that comes with the ST-150 [I prefer
the curved arm instead of the ST8-150 - with the straigh tone arm
better for club deejay work] has not problem as the stylus is
exposed enough not to wick up the solutions. The lower priced
500's would be good too.

[On my good LPs I use a VPI 16.5 vacuum cleaning device].

The list price of the ST-150 probably scares many off, but I found
a place that sold it for $419 - shipping included. Their sites
says they will ship within 48 hours. I checked and my order was
picked up by UPS about 4 hours after I placed it, and got to me
2 days early. So good price and fast service is hard to find.

If you [or anyone else] wants the name of the place you can send me
email - as I don't like to post commercial things on Usenet -
having that inbred into my motions here since I got on the 'net
in about 1984. [My address has been 'real' since I got on the 'net
and with proper filters spams is not a problme. [Unix systems and
my own mail server]

With the SPDIF output, and running into my Creative Soundblasster
Audigy 2ZS, the pops/click are removed in real-time. I've only had
to bring up an editor 1 or 2 times to do some severe cleanup. But
those recording were used on the radio station I used to work at a
jillion years ago [ it seems ] and were badly worn, and some
exhibited severe cue-burn, which can't be eliminated.

Another plus on the SPDIF is that the ground loops or induced hum I
was getting with analog inputs disappeared entirely.

Bill

Bill G

The list price of the ST-150 probably scares many off, but I found
a place that sold it for $419 - shipping included. Their sites
says they will ship within 48 hours. I checked and my order was
picked up by UPS about 4 hours after I placed it, and got to me
2 days early. So good price and fast service is hard to find.

If you [or anyone else] wants the name of the place you can send me
email - as I don't like to post commercial things on Usenet -
having that inbred into my motions here since I got on the 'net
in about 1984. [My address has been 'real' since I got on the 'net
and with proper filters spams is not a problme. [Unix systems and
my own mail server]

About the only time it's unacceptable to post a commercial reference
is when someone is hawking their own site. If you've found a place
that offers quality goods, at a fair price, and treats the customer
well, I don't know why you'd hesitate to share that info. Big thumbs
down to the group of folks who "trained" you back in 1984. :)

R Sweeney

Jeff Rife said:
Alpha ([email protected]) wrote in alt.video.dvd:

Any DVD that isn't a DVD-Video disc, for one. Plus, there are some
commercial DVD-Video discs that aren't CSS encrypted.

Since the original link was for a pure network storage device that has no
knowledge of the content of the disc, these are the only discs it can
handle
natively. Sure, the user can rip a DVD-Video disc and place it on the
storage unit, but that won't get the company that makes the unit sued.
You
don't see the MPAA going after Seagate, Western Digital, and Maxtor
because
they make hard drives that can store ripped DVDs, do you?

actually yes, you do
the MPAA and RIAA continuously get their paid Congress critters to sponsor
legislation that would REQUIRE all mass storage devices to no allow the
storage of copyrighted material without digital copyright management on the
drive itself

They don't care if they force the world back to the stone age if it protects
Mickey Mouse and the Beatles.

marika

R Sweeney said:
actually yes, you do
the MPAA and RIAA continuously get their paid Congress critters to sponsor
legislation that would REQUIRE all mass storage devices to no allow the
storage of copyrighted material without digital copyright management on
the drive itself

They don't care if they force the world back to the stone age if it
protects Mickey Mouse and the Beatles.
....I can find the laugh in the weirdest event.
PS I got two 1 dollar movies for pay per view. Just saw Dude, Where's My
Car. Very cute, Very Funny

mk
"There couldn't be any sound phenomenological construed, no matter what
philosophy you adhere to. There would only be rarefactions and
compressions of the air which a conscious perceiver would interpret as
sound should they be in the nearby vicinity."--Interesting Ian

Bill Vermillion

[...]

In those days much transport was on Arpa net and since a lot was
government funded - I remember a lot of posts going through
'seismo' - there was to be NO commercial annoucment or appearances
thereof.

And since anything on the 'net lives forever - I can find posts of
mine from the late 1980's - nothing is more frustrating than
an http link on information that no longer exists. I'd just as
soon have real information.

And though a vendor may be good today, there is no indication they
will be a year from now - and I'd hate to have people browing old
posts and getting ripped off if the vendor had changed - and blame
me for that.

I often get mail from things I've posted years ago.

And no one 'trained' me. It was reading the Netiquette, reading
the dos/don'ts and learning how to program serial ports to talk
with modems and then setting up UUCP for connection to other sites
via telephone. My old site in 1986/7 was usually in the top-500
of usenet transport sites. All on two high-speed modems [ getting
about 19K throughput before the rest of the world had 9600 working
properly] and keeping both phone lines running almost coninually.

Bill

Richard Crowley

And since anything on the 'net lives forever - I can find posts of
mine from the late 1980's - nothing is more frustrating than
an http link on information that no longer exists. I'd just as
soon have real information.

Times and practices change. The internet is old enough
that we are seeing it even here.
And though a vendor may be good today, there is no indication they
will be a year from now - and I'd hate to have people browing old
posts and getting ripped off if the vendor had changed - and blame
me for that.

You can't be held responsible for what a 3rd party does.
Anyone who relies on outdated information without
checking out current status deserves what they get.

Bob

You can't be held responsible for what a 3rd party does.

Then why are gun manufacturers being sued for the unlawful use of
firearms by criminals?

--

"What the American people have seen is this incredible
disparity in which those people who had cars and money

"Ditto"
-- Mary Jo Kopechne