Windows XP dvd burning programs won't recognize dvd writers

Reaction score
I'm running Windows XP, AVG , Ad Aware and am having difficulty getting Nero, Img Burn and roxio to recognize 2 diffent Dvd drives 1-sony ddu1612 and 2-AOpen 9624 as writers. They both show up in Windows hardware and function as players.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does Windows XP recognise it as a burner in the built-in burning application? Also, are you using the latest version of burning software - some older versions won't recognise new drives.

Reaction score
The drives in question are not brand new. The Nero program is version 6.3.0.3. Both are about the same age. I do not know how to test the Windows burning capability.

Reaction score
Thanks,
The information is for CD drives. Is the process the same for DVD drives?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My appologies, I thought it was for both CD's and DVD's - that will only work for CDs. I've not used Windows XP for some time, so I'm a bit out of touch.

Someone else here with Windows XP may be able to help some more. :thumb:

Just before I upgraded to Vista, I used this software with my DVD burner:

http://cdburnerxp.se/ (despite it's name, it does DVDs).

It might be worth checking for the "recording" tab on the drive properties, as it could be the same for DVD's - although without access to XP I can't check.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Bring up the window with all the icons for hdd and cd/dvd etc , sorry don't know what its called . Right click on the dvd drive icon >properties>Recording tab, and see if the "use this cd/dvd for recording box is ticked ".

happywave.gif

Ask a Question