DVD Burners

Reaction score
Hi !!!

I am considering buying a DVD burner for the office I work in, (I work for a charity in the IT Dept.) a couple of our depatments use a lot of graphics and digital photos. The trouble is that this takes up a lot of space on our linux server and I thought a DVD burner would be a good way of storing gigabites of data, but I'm not sure what DVD format to go with or which is the best burner to use, as far as I can tell there are 3 formats:
DVD+R/RW
DVD-RAM
DVD-R/RW

Any advise would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Howlinwolf.

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but the situation with DVD (rewritable - which i am assuming to be of most use in a business environment) at the moment is that there are three standards, each supported by different groups:

DVD+R/DVD+RW is the most common, supported by PC businesses. This is probably best if backing up data is your primary need. (Fast, plus cheap disks)

DVD-R/DVD-RW - mainly supported by consumer electronics companies. Better if you are interested in creating DVD movies that most consumer DVD players will play.

Then there's DVD-RAM. This may end up as the Betamax of DVD media!!

However, you may find that CD-RW is a better option until the DVD media wars have been settled and the standard becomes more established.

:spin:

Ask a Question