Duplication problem in FP Guestbook

N

njordan100

I have FP 2002. (Service Pack 2) I have the problem that the Guestbook (from the template), duplicates itself when viewing in the browser. I have installed the recommended Service Pack 1 and it has not helped. I am down to this. I have no problems with the Photo Gallery, only the Guestbook

(Please pardon the lengthy summary of what I have found but maybe someone can please advise me if I dare go into the registry as is advised.) It has been taken from the official 'FP Include Components and Shared Borders issues'.

Thank you-
Norma
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SYMPTOMS
After you upgrade your Microsoft Internet Information Services-based Web site to FrontPage
2002 Server Extensions or SharePoint Team Services from Microsoft, the include components and
shared borders are not displayed correctly. The body of the main page is displayed as part of
the shared border or the include component, appearing to duplicate data throughout the page.
Also, after you insert a PhotoGallery or an Include page, you see the path to the page rather
than the content of the page. In Normal view in FrontPage, the page appears correctly, but
when you view it in a Web browser, you see only the path.

CAUSE
This problem is caused by the configuration of the performance tuning settings on the server,
in particular, the Max Cache Document Size setting. For information about how to configure
these settings, see the "More Information" section later in this article.

WORKAROUND
Remove the registry keys that affect the components. To do this, follow these steps.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may
require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve
problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own
risk.

Global Settings

IMPORTANT: Follow these steps carefully, because these settings affect all sites on your
server.
On the Windows Start menu, click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit and then click OK.
Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\All Ports

Remove the following entries:
CacheMaxDocMeta
CacheMaxInclude
CacheMaxImage
CacheMaxIncludeSize
Quit Registry Editor.
Recalculate any affected Webs on the Web server.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

There are some bugs in FP2002 & in the FP2002 SE related to shared borders & include pages
duplicating so make sure you (and your host) see & apply all appropriate patches from:

For info in Service Pack 1 & 2 for FP2002 / MSO XP - see:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q325671

For the Host/Server running the FP2002 SE

For Unix server problems on the FP2002 SE see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299360
The latest FP SE for Unix that fix the problems
(FPSE 2000 1.4 patch and an FPSE 2002 SR 1.1 patch)
are at http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport

For NT server problems on the FP2002 SE see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q298827
For FrontPage Server Extension 2002 Update - see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q317296
and security patch
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-053.asp

Note:
You will also have to remove the duplicated hard coded copies of the webbots (include) in your online site in FP
--

I have FP 2002. (Service Pack 2) I have the problem that the Guestbook (from the template), duplicates itself when viewing in the
browser. I have installed the recommended Service Pack 1 and it has not helped. I am down to this. I have no problems with the
Photo Gallery, only the Guestbook

(Please pardon the lengthy summary of what I have found but maybe someone can please advise me if I dare go into the registry as is
advised.) It has been taken from the official 'FP Include Components and Shared Borders issues'.

Thank you-
Norma
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SYMPTOMS
After you upgrade your Microsoft Internet Information Services-based Web site to FrontPage
2002 Server Extensions or SharePoint Team Services from Microsoft, the include components and
shared borders are not displayed correctly. The body of the main page is displayed as part of
the shared border or the include component, appearing to duplicate data throughout the page.
Also, after you insert a PhotoGallery or an Include page, you see the path to the page rather
than the content of the page. In Normal view in FrontPage, the page appears correctly, but
when you view it in a Web browser, you see only the path.

CAUSE
This problem is caused by the configuration of the performance tuning settings on the server,
in particular, the Max Cache Document Size setting. For information about how to configure
these settings, see the "More Information" section later in this article.

WORKAROUND
Remove the registry keys that affect the components. To do this, follow these steps.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may
require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve
problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own
risk.

Global Settings

IMPORTANT: Follow these steps carefully, because these settings affect all sites on your
server.
On the Windows Start menu, click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit and then click OK.
Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\All Ports

Remove the following entries:
CacheMaxDocMeta
CacheMaxInclude
CacheMaxImage
CacheMaxIncludeSize
Quit Registry Editor.
Recalculate any affected Webs on the Web server.

Ask a Question