From: "Mart" <[email protected]>
Subject: Duplex unit
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:22:30 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

I've just setup a windows 2000 print server with only HP
printers. From 4050 to 4200 models. I have NT 4 and 2000
workstation. When I add a network printer on a NT 4, the
Duplex unit is shown as installed. On a Windows 2000 the
Duplex unit is not installed. On the server, all duplex
unit have been configured properly. So everytime a user
login, he as to enable that feature by hand. The same is
true for tray 3 and 4.
-----

Mart,

What you describe is strange. The printer settings on the server, as far as if the duplex unit and trays are installed, should
carry through to the clients since a network printer on the client uses the printer definition from the server. In fact the options
on the printers Device Settings tab should be grayed out on the client, unless their account has permissions on the server
to administer printers.

To get the client to use these settings you normally need to right click the printer and then select Printer Preferences from
the context menu. These settings are stored locally in the registry at the client system and should still be there after a
reboot.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

[...]

newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Could you tell me where that info is stored. It might be
a permission issue in the registry or the file system.
Thanks

Bruce Sanderson

With some HP LaserJet printer drivers, particularly the 4000 series, there's
a problem with some of the settings, including whether or not a Duplexing
Unit is installed when there is a mixture of NT 4 and later OS versions
(2000, XP, 2003).

The document at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl13043
has quite a bit of useful information for mixed OS version situations with
HP Printers.

But, the only bypass for the settings misbehaviour we have found is to
always make configuration changes (e.g. enabling Duplexing Unit) from a
Windows XP workstation.

We don't have NT 4 workstations, but many of our print servers are still NT
4.0. We've found that if we merely open the printer's properties page on
the print server, Windows 2000 and XP computers discover that the Duplexing
Unit is no longer installed.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

--------------------
From: "Mart" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:22:30 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

[...]

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Duplex unit
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:16:32 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

Could you tell me where that info is stored. It might be
a permission issue in the registry or the file system.
Thanks
-----

The registry key is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections\,,<server name>,<printer name>

The actual value where the information is stored is DevMode.