David H. Lipman

From: "Nev." <[email protected]>

| I have recently had several problems with my dulpex
| printer not functioning properly when performing duplex
| printing.
|
| While asking around about this problem, someone told me
| that Widows can handle the duplex printing; however, this
| does not seem likely to me.
|
| Is there any way that Windows can be used to control
| duplex printing so that the printer does not have to do it?
| It does not seem likely to me.
|
| TIA,
|
| Nev.

It is all dependent on your un-named printer. Does it have a Duplex option or it needs to
be done manually and if the printer's driver supports Duplex.

This is NOT a windows ability but a printer/driver ability. I have done duplex printing for
many years with; HP 4si, HP 5si, HP 8000 and HP 8100 laser printers with their duplex
option installed and with the Xerox 432st copier+printer.

James E Middleton

May also depend on the application you are print from. For example, when
printing in MS Publisher, if your printer does not support duplex printing
you can run a script ( or add a macro ) to print all odd pages first, then
even pages.

EX: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q294748/

Maybe a newsgroup for your application would be a good place to ask.

Spikey

David H. Lipman said:
be done manually and if the printer's driver supports Duplex.

David, I remember reading on the HP business forum (?) that some Hp duplex
printer owners were having problems with XP not allowing bidi. I think this
was causing the tool box to have only basic functions and so not able to
perform duplex.

I have the HP Deskjet 1280 with manual duplex and this works fine with no
problems.

I wondered at the time whether having XP pro over home would make any
difference?

:blush:)

Spikey

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Why would home be different. Does HP supply different drivers for Home?

No just the one XP driver on the HP site.

I was wondering more along the lines of being able to "tweak" the security
settings with pro and whether that would have solved the problem??

David Candy

You need to talk to HP. If I wanted to build and sell printers I would use MS's Universal Printer driver which provides duplex as a standard option. But the driver programmer decides what features are made available. They do this through a minidriver (which is a text file). Talk to HP support.

Timothy Daniels

Nev. said:
I have recently had several problems with my dulpex
printer not functioning properly when performing duplex
printing.

While asking around about this problem, someone told me
that Widows can handle the duplex printing; however, this
does not seem likely to me.

Is there any way that Windows can be used to control
duplex printing so that the printer does not have to do it?
It does not seem likely to me.

MS Word will do duplex printing. It's called "Manual Duplex",
and it appears as a checkable option in the File/Print dialog box.
You have to put the paper through two passes - first for odd
no'd pages, than again for the even no'd pages.

You could also buy the printing utility called FinePrint:
http://www.fineprint.com/products/fineprint/index.html .

I had a similar problem when I upgraded to WinXP -
my Brother laser printer wouldn't do duplex anymore because
Brother let MS supply a generic driver in WinXP for it which
didn't do duplexing. (That was a subtle way for Brother to
encourage you to buy a new printer.) Now, if I really want to
do duplex printing of something created with another editor,
I cut and paste it into a Word document and print it using
Word.

*TimDaniels*