Dumb Blond needs Network Advice

L

LadyDungeness

Hi everybody,

I'm ready to try networking. Here's what I've got:

1. Comcast cable using their Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem.
2. Desktop PC built in 2000 with some upgrading; cable from PC attaches to the Motorola cable modem. NO wireless card on
this computer. OS = Win XP Home
3. Vaio laptop w/wireless card (.11b). OS = Win XP Home
4. Toshiba laptop w/wireless card (at least .11b) OS = Win XP Media Center 2005
5. Inkjet printer w/parallel & USB ports, currently connected to desktop via parallel
6. Samsung laser printer w/USB and wireless ability
7. Scannner w/USB
8. External HD for storage

Idea: Combine Cable Modem & Wireless into one peripheral -- I'm looking at the Motorola Surfboard SBG900. One review
said it was not intuitive to set up the wireless and the security. I know nothing about these things, so will need guidance.
Question: Are there other cable modem/wireless router combo peripherals on the market? I've googled and haven't found
any, or else don't know the right lingo.

My goals:
* maintain HIGH security. I do some paralegal work and do not want anybody else to pick up my files. Clients deserve
confidentiality
* transfer files between the three computers via wireless or ethernet.
* print to the laser printer from any computer
* use the laptops in the living room or on the porch (25 feet) and be able to print and transfer files via wireless
* not have any of the devices conflict with each other or with the telephone.
* most data is text files and graphics (up to 25 megs), plus web and email. No games, TV, DVDs.

I'd like suggestions on what kind of cable modems/wireless routers to get. An all-in-one would be nice. Simple setup is
important. Simple configuration is important. I'd like advice on what to be careful of, given the kind of equipment I have.
Thank you for your suggestions!

Lady Dungeness
Out of Danger until September
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

B

Barb Bowman

You want a wireless router, not a combo device. The "b" only
wireless in the Vaio will slow down your network. Consider a 802.11g
USB or pccard for that.

The combo modem/wireless router all in one devices are pretty much
lagging edge technology. Two devices will be more future proof. You
can get entry level wireless routers from $20-50. And have a far
better experience.

Hi everybody,

I'm ready to try networking. Here's what I've got:

1. Comcast cable using their Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem.
2. Desktop PC built in 2000 with some upgrading; cable from PC attaches to the Motorola cable modem. NO wireless card on
this computer. OS = Win XP Home
3. Vaio laptop w/wireless card (.11b). OS = Win XP Home
4. Toshiba laptop w/wireless card (at least .11b) OS = Win XP Media Center 2005
5. Inkjet printer w/parallel & USB ports, currently connected to desktop via parallel
6. Samsung laser printer w/USB and wireless ability
7. Scannner w/USB
8. External HD for storage

Idea: Combine Cable Modem & Wireless into one peripheral -- I'm looking at the Motorola Surfboard SBG900. One review
said it was not intuitive to set up the wireless and the security. I know nothing about these things, so will need guidance.
Question: Are there other cable modem/wireless router combo peripherals on the market? I've googled and haven't found
any, or else don't know the right lingo.

My goals:
* maintain HIGH security. I do some paralegal work and do not want anybody else to pick up my files. Clients deserve
confidentiality
* transfer files between the three computers via wireless or ethernet.
* print to the laser printer from any computer
* use the laptops in the living room or on the porch (25 feet) and be able to print and transfer files via wireless
* not have any of the devices conflict with each other or with the telephone.
* most data is text files and graphics (up to 25 megs), plus web and email. No games, TV, DVDs.

I'd like suggestions on what kind of cable modems/wireless routers to get. An all-in-one would be nice. Simple setup is
important. Simple configuration is important. I'd like advice on what to be careful of, given the kind of equipment I have.
Thank you for your suggestions!

Lady Dungeness
--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

L

LadyDungeness

Thank you, Barb. Will the 802.11b card in the Vaio slow down the network all the time, or only when the Vaio is accessing
the network?

I appreciate your input about the combo devices. I guess I'll need two separate ones.

Comcast is renting me a Motorola Surfboard cable modem Model #SB5101. I've had it at least two years. I see a few used ones
for sale cheap. There are also other Surfboard models. Do you know if a different model would make my cable connection even
faster?

Lady Dungeness

B

Barb Bowman

On an 802.11b/g router or access point, if you have all g devices,
you can use a G only setting which is faster than mixed b/g. mixed
b/g specs require a kind of stop and wait for b traffic.

the 5101 is one of the better modems. be sure you are using the
Ethernet and not USB connection to the modem.

Thank you, Barb. Will the 802.11b card in the Vaio slow down the network all the time, or only when the Vaio is accessing
the network?

I appreciate your input about the combo devices. I guess I'll need two separate ones.

Comcast is renting me a Motorola Surfboard cable modem Model #SB5101. I've had it at least two years. I see a few used ones
for sale cheap. There are also other Surfboard models. Do you know if a different model would make my cable connection even
faster?

Lady Dungeness
--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

L

LadyDungeness

Thanks again, Barb. I double-checked; the Cable modem IS hooked up via ethernet.

My Vaio laptop uses an Orinoco 802.11b card. I remember, because I asked specifically at one of the big box stores for a
laptop with That Particular Card, and the salesman disdainfully told me that "he'd never heard of it" and stood there
smirking at me. Now, I may be dumb ... but not that dumb! I went elsewhere.

I don't know what kind of a card is in the other laptop.

Just how much of a problem is speed going to be? Right now, I'm copying 7 gigs of text files from one hard drive to another,
via USB 2.0. It's taken nearly 2 hours. I only do that rarely. Typically my transfers are under 5 megs, and occasionally
up to 25 megs.

Will the wireless work slower than the USB?

Lady Dungeness

B

Barb Bowman

can you provide an ipconfig /all from both computers? that will tell
me what card is which

http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/

are you sure the USB path is 2.0 all the way? even if the cable is
2.0, if the controller is 1.0 or 1.1..

wireless transfer using 802.11b on one computer is going to be very
slow.

Thanks again, Barb. I double-checked; the Cable modem IS hooked up via ethernet.

My Vaio laptop uses an Orinoco 802.11b card. I remember, because I asked specifically at one of the big box stores for a
laptop with That Particular Card, and the salesman disdainfully told me that "he'd never heard of it" and stood there
smirking at me. Now, I may be dumb ... but not that dumb! I went elsewhere.

I don't know what kind of a card is in the other laptop.

Just how much of a problem is speed going to be? Right now, I'm copying 7 gigs of text files from one hard drive to another,
via USB 2.0. It's taken nearly 2 hours. I only do that rarely. Typically my transfers are under 5 megs, and occasionally
up to 25 megs.

Will the wireless work slower than the USB?

Lady Dungeness
--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Ask a Question