Dual USB Scanners

krmdds

I am running Windows XP and have two Scanners which I use
for different purposes. The primary device is an HP psc2510
photosmart all-in-one printer/fax and flatbed scanner. I
also use frequently an HP S20 negative and slide scanner.
With Win98, I could have two USB scanners connected to the
computer without a problem. I have "upgraded" to Win XP and
now I must use only one device at a time AND RESTART my
computer for it to recognize each device as I plug it in.
Often I have to run the "Found New Hardware Wizard" because
Win XP thinks I've added a new device. WHAT GIVES???? I
thought XP is supposed to be very friendly for managing
images, but this is a TRUE step backward from Win 98. IS
THERE ANY WAY TO HAVE XP RECOGNIZE TWO USB SCANNERS AT
ONCE? I only use one ata a time but plugging, unplugging
rebooting and reinstalling is ridiculous!!! PLEASE HELP!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Cannot Simultaneously Use Multiple USB Scanners in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324756&Product=winxpYou

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"(e-mail address removed)" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

|I am running Windows XP and have two Scanners which I use
| for different purposes. The primary device is an HP psc2510
| photosmart all-in-one printer/fax and flatbed scanner. I
| also use frequently an HP S20 negative and slide scanner.
| With Win98, I could have two USB scanners connected to the
| computer without a problem. I have "upgraded" to Win XP and
| now I must use only one device at a time AND RESTART my
| computer for it to recognize each device as I plug it in.
| Often I have to run the "Found New Hardware Wizard" because
| Win XP thinks I've added a new device. WHAT GIVES???? I
| thought XP is supposed to be very friendly for managing
| images, but this is a TRUE step backward from Win 98. IS
| THERE ANY WAY TO HAVE XP RECOGNIZE TWO USB SCANNERS AT
| ONCE? I only use one ata a time but plugging, unplugging
| rebooting and reinstalling is ridiculous!!! PLEASE HELP!

Chuck C

Carey,

I read the nfo on your http reference and it seems to only
apply to "scanners". I have a sim problem but with
printers. Both are Epson, one is USB1 and the other is
USB2. My sys is capable of running either or both USB
versions but XP seems to be having some kind of prob with
this. If I turn on the USB1 printer I can use it as normal
but if I turn on the USB2 printer [ USB 1 on or off}Xp
seem to be having problems staying connected - it bounces
on and off - sometimes right in the middle of printing a
photo it will just "stop" responding and kill my printout.

Further nfo on the system - ASUS MOBO with six USB ports.
Have Epson 750 [USB1} on one port - Epson R300{USB2} on
one port - USB Hub[USB1] on one port, connected to media
reader. Win XP and all updates.

Any recommendations to solve this would be helpfull.
If you need more nfo, let me know - take out the 111 on
addy

TIA

Chuck