Dual Boot Win2k/Win2003 after installation - boot.ini editing

G-ram

I have a laptop that has one hard drive with Windows 2000 on it. I
recently obtained another hard drive and multi-bay adapter (making it
so I can install the 2nd hard drive into the cd rom drive slot). If
either one of the hard drives are missing, I can boot successfully to
either operation system. I went in and changed the boot.ini on win2k
(default op sys)to reflect the other operating system. Here is my
boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional"
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2003 Server
Enterprise Edition"

This gives me both selections at startup however when I choose win3k
it says it cannot find the windows 2000 operating system files.

So...my question is this...Is there somethng in the boot.ini that I am
missing? Is there anything else besides this that I need to do.

Thanks in advance for assistance....

Graham

Dave

Please try editing your boot.ini to reflect the following changes:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional"
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1)\Windows="Windows 2003 Server <---------
WIndows 2003 uses a WIndows directory, it is no longer WINNT
Enterprise Edition"

Dave

Pegasus \(MVP\)

G-ram said:
[...]

Somehow I do not think that the version of c:\boot.ini shown above
is the version found on your hard disk. Please use notepad to open
c:\boot.ini, then use cut & past to copy its contents into your post.

G-ram

Pegasus \(MVP\) said:
G-ram said:
[...]

The above boot.ini is one that I have edited to attempt to get the
dual boot to work. However, my original is included below....

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect

Any help....well...will help...thanks

Pegasus \(MVP\)

G-ram said:
"Pegasus \(MVP\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
G-ram said:
[...]

I suspect that boot.ini should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
Edition"

Have a look at MS KB articles Q99743 and Q102873 for details on boot.ini.