Dual Boot problem. Cannot get rid of Windows(Default) boot option

G

I installed a new HD. I then installed another copy of Win XP on it. I then formated the drive, I decided to use is solely as a data drive. Then when I booted up again it still recognized the other XP installation and asked which OS I would like to boot to. I got rid of the recelntly formated drives OS by editing the boot.ini. I reboot again and not it asks which OS I would like to boot to, Windows Home or Windows (Default). The Home version is the one I want. How can I make it skip the OS selction and boot straight to the good copy of Windows Home? I have tried booting from the WinXP CD and repairing the boot by running FIXBOOT, but to no avail. Here is a copy of my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Again, the Microsoft Windows Home Edition is what I want to boot to, but the OS selection screen keeps coming up. Also I set the selection time to 0, but it then tried to boot the bad Windows (Default) OS which cannot be booted because of missing files.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
Click on the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "Check All Boot Paths"
to delete incorrect boot paths.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|I installed a new HD. I then installed another copy of Win XP on it. I then formated the drive, I decided
to use is solely as a data drive. Then when I booted up again it still recognized the other XP installation
and asked which OS I would like to boot to. I got rid of the recelntly formated drives OS by editing the
boot.ini. I reboot again and not it asks which OS I would like to boot to, Windows Home or Windows (Default).
The Home version is the one I want. How can I make it skip the OS selction and boot straight to the good copy
of Windows Home? I have tried booting from the WinXP CD and repairing the boot by running FIXBOOT, but to no
avail. Here is a copy of my boot.ini
|
| [boot loader]
| timeout=0
| default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
| [operating systems]
| multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
|
| Again, the Microsoft Windows Home Edition is what I want to boot to, but the OS selection screen keeps
coming up. Also I set the selection time to 0, but it then tried to boot the bad Windows (Default) OS which
cannot be booted because of missing files.
|
| Any help is greatly appreciated.

G

It said that all paths were okay. But the problem persists. The default boot path points to rdisk1 while the working Windows Home path points to rdisk0. Does this maybe have something to do with it?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Wrong: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Correct: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select:

Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit

CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file.
Your boot.ini file should then look similar to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

G

Did what you said. Windows then failed to boot up, saying that several key files were missing. Finally, I just put my blank HD in , installed windows, then put my old drive in as the slave and formatted it. Now I have a frech PC with 160 Gigs of HD space. :) Thanks anyways!

Ask a Question