DSL Fast but messed up my XP settings- Adware?Spyware?

Alppasta

David said:
1) Download the following three items...

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend signature files.

Adaware SE (personal free version)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Dowload the signature files (pattern files) by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt228.zip

Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the sam
directory as
sysclean.com.

2) Update Adware with the latest definitions.
3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform
Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platfor
using both the
Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
7) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore an
re-apply any
System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400
600MB),
8) Reboot your PC.
9) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

You can also try some of the below online scanners.

Trend:
http://housecall.antivirus.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

F-Secu
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

McAfee:
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Panda:

Kaspersky:
http://www.kaspersky.com/de/scanforvirus

Symantec:
http://security.symantec.com/

BitDefender
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

Freedom Online scanner
http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html

* * * Please report your results ! * * *

Dave

"Alppasta" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

| I have just gotten Verizon DSL. I have a router with a firewall an
| have a software firewall. I have a virus detect and several
| adware/spyware programs. All the software programs I have say the
| machine is clean. The second I plug into the internet, several EXE
| files begin running in the backround and I get my IE homepag
changed
| to "SLOTCH.COM" my favorites sites get added to with bookmarks I did
| not request and I get bombarded with software pushes from unknown
| sources. Any options besides rebooting XP software and starting
| over?????
| I can't even get help because I can't stay on the internet lon
without
| getting slammed with stuff.
|

| --
| Alppasta

Thanks Dave for all your help. I didn't want you to think all of you
effort was going unoticed. I will definitely do what you suggest an
let you know how it turns out. I have not had time yet but I will ge
to it shortly. Thanks again for taking the time ...I'll report soon.
Alppast

David H. Lipman

The Trend Pattern Files are now upto 2.236.

Dave