Dropped Connection - Second Attempt!

Fred S *****

I submitted a post named "Dropped Connection" and had one response that
suggested that I run a virus checker.

My system is well protected with anti-virus software and anti-spyware
software - that is not the problem.

I cannot believe that with all the talented folks here on this group
that no one has offered to provide assistance in any way.

Have I posted incorrectly? Is the problem unheard of? If so, will
someone please say so. Here is my original question posted a few days ago:
************
"Fred S *****" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
wrote in message Hi, need some help.

I'm running Windows XP Home on my desktop and laptop, I have Road
Runner and I'm using a Netgear wireless 4 port router and a Netgear
PCMCIA card.

The dropped connections seem to occur when I run Google Maps. I just
went to the Google site, it ran and I moved the cross hair to no
particular place and then zoomed in. The map displayed and then just
stopped.

I know right away that the connection is gone as any other site
displays "looking for Yahoo or ???" and then the page load error
reports follow.

I run upstairs to the router, unplug the power to the router, plug
back in and the connection is reestablished.

The desktop also loses it connection even though the issue started
with the laptop.

If I run Google on the desktop, there is no problem,that is I can
access Google and it works but when I do the same thing with the
laptop the router seems to crash.

Can anyone provide help or assistance?

Thanks, Fred
************

I respectfully request assistance on this matter.

Fred

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I do not know what is wrong; one possibility is a malfunction in the
Wireless part of Router.
I can tell what I would do.
First step I would take the laptop and place it few feet away from the
Wireless Router (to eliminate signal issues).
Then I would optimize the laptop's TCP/IP stack,
http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
Still a problem, I would check if the Router were loaded with the most
updated firmware, if not, I would updated the firmware.
If the Router were loaded with the latest firmware, I would hard reset the
Router and reconfigure it from search.
Nothing helps, it keep doing the same. I would try another Router.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Harry Boyne

....Or just try ethernet!