Windows XP driver_irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD among other issues

Reaction score
Hi,

First off, good morning. So my problem goes as follows. Completely out of the blue, seeing as I have not installed any new hardware of any kind, I got a BSOD that, after disabling automatic restart, I managed to see it was a stop error that read DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. When I sent the error report to Microsoft it told me to follow a number of steps, which I did, among which was to disable any new audio hardware I might have installed. Like I said, I didn't install anything new and this happened totally out of the blue. I ran a virus scan which brought back nine trojans, which I promptly deleted, though i suspect one of these might have been what caused my problem. I don't know why my antivirus [Zonealarm] didn't pick them up and I certianly don't know where they came from, because I haven't really downloaded anything, but there you have it. The trojan that i repeatedly received was trojan.win32.buzus.adxw, but upon research I couldn't find out what it actually did, so i can't know for sure that this was what caused it. In any case the BSOD kept happening, specifically when my computer came out of hibernation or whenever I shut the lid and opened it again after a while -it's a laptop-. I tried to check the disk for errors and to my surprise it told me it was unable to check it. Same happened with the defragment tool. I scheduled chkdsk to happen when I rebooted but nothing happened when I did. Likewise, I realized that microsoft update wasn't working for me either. To try to see if something was wrongwith my hard drive I ran Belarc Advisor, because I wasn't sure what its manufacturer was, and I realized that I was missing a number of critical updates that I couldn't access in any way whatsoever because of the microsoft update issue. On top of this, i ran the Hitachi utility to see if something had gone funny with my hard disk and nothing's wrong. I tried windbg for the dmp files and it consistently tells me that the crashes are due to ntoskrnl.exe, although I don't know anything else because my computer expertise is limited at best. Now whenever my computer goes to the screen saver it doesn't come out. Lastly, autochk randomly started to run at reboot and it tells me it can't do anything because "autochk is not available for raw drives [...]" and I don't know what that is, because it's never happened before, though now it happens every single time I reboot. I'm at the point of reinstalling XP altogether, but I figured I would ask someone before I did this in case there's a solution I haven't found in my extensive weeklong research. I have the dmp files saved in case they're necessary for someone to kindly try to tell me what in the world is going on with my computer. I really would appreciate any help anyone can give me before I throw in the towel and format. Thanks!

Reaction score
I have Windows XP professional with Service Pack 3, build 2600, says Belarc Advisor. And yes, it is a legal copy.

Reaction score
Nothing, that's what's puzzling me. About a week ago I closed my computer, went to sleep and when I woke up and opened it up it gave me this BSOD and it's been that way ever since. And now it can't even go to the screen saver because it'll hang right away. It really did happen out of the blue and furthermore this computer was formatted less than six months ago, it has only the basics installed, I can't figure out what happened.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You make for very hard reading if you don't use paragraph breaks or even line breaks.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795930.aspx

I ran a virus scan which brought back nine Trojans, which I promptly deleted, though i suspect one of these might have been what caused my problem.
Oh boy ... reformat your drive, and, install an AV program that can detect Trojans. A virus ain't a Trojan, a Trojan ain't a virus. ;)

http://research.sunbelt-software.co...name=Trojan.Win32.Buzus.adxw&threatid=4060080

Reformat your HD & install a good AV program that also detects Trojans & Malware. Malware ain't a virus & ain't a Trojan.

I'm at the point of reinstalling XP altogether ...
I would if I were you. :thumb:

The last time I saw a "Virus" was when the Blaster Worm struck ... oh ang on, that's a Worm, not a Virus ... ;)

Sorry, may look that way, but not meant to dig at you personally.

:user:

Reaction score
Well don't worry. Thank you anyway. I just thought I'd give this a shot before I did that, because it will be a total pain to reformat. As for the paragraphs, well, I tend to write like that, I apologize. And I also apologize for not knowing the difference between a trojan and a virus...I just meant to say i ran a Zonealarm scan and it brought back nine trojans is all. I guess if no one else can come up with a better solution than formatting my drive that will be what i'll have to attempt. Thanks anyway, again.

Reaction score
Why thank you, although I already tried that website along with probably every other website in existence about this particular problem. I really hate reformatting, it's long and tedious and downloading the microsoft updates once that's been done is a massive pain in the you-know-what. But I guess i've been readying myself for it, I even backed up all my stuff...well here goes nothing. Thank you both for your help though.

Ask a Question