Driver search fails everytime - and have to set the search manually (each time) to System32.. help..

William Dowell

Hello,

Firstly, i apologise if this is the "wrong" news thread - i have tried a
few, but to no avail. If this is the incorrect one, please please don't just
say it is the wrong one, but point me to the right one!

Now, my problem:
(I'm using RTM version of Windows Vista - business).

It all worked fine for about a week or so, detecting all devices plugged in
(and i have to say, was mightily impressed with driver support..)

Until.. these last few days...

Whenever I add a hardware device - from basic things of External HDD, camera
or USB keys etc, the driver search fails, and asks for a manual location..
Same goes for hubs. All items. Now, I KNOW Vista has all of this
built in - because you just tell it, each time, to go to System 32 folder,
and it
finds the mass-storage / or other driver, no problem.

However EVERYTIME i add something new it does this. This didn't happen when
first installed Vista, and its a horrible experience. I want it back
automatically installing!

I was a tester for Windows Vista for I can't even remember how long - and
never seen this before..

Is there a fix for this / Re-set something in the registry? It's driving me
insane! And, everyone who sees my lovely Vista laptop goes "wow" and then
plugs in their USB Key, and goes "ohhh... oh yes, they said on the news it
was full of problems"!!! - I don't like that, as its not fair to Microsoft,
so... any solution, please... and I can assure you it will get my friends /
colleagues in the shops for a start!

Kind regards, and thanks in advance to the genius who can sort this out for
me :)

William

Dennis Pack

William:
I haven't had this problem so I'm not working from experience. A
Vista search for driver installation leads to "Appendix A-Security Group
Policy Settings.doc". There is a possibility that this may be normal if you
are logged in as a standard user instead of a member of the administrators
group. Have a great day.

Hi William,
After reading your message it is unclear whether you are adding new hardware
items and Vista doesn't find drivers for them or whether you are saying that
drivers for previously installed items have become inacessible. If you are
trying to install something new like an external hard drive and the drivers
aren't found it probably is because you don't have the drivers on the
computer.

Frankly you are the only person I have heard say they were impressed with
driver support. Like you, I tested the Beta versions and I had the same
problems I now have with the retail version of Ultimate. I don't have
drivers for my HP printer, my Western Digital Dual Option external drive, my
Canon Scanner, my Asus A8N-SLI-Deluxe motherboard and its Nvidia chipset or
my Olympus digital camera.

If you are saying that hardware that previously operated correctly has
stopped because of a driver problem then my suggestion would be to boot from
the Vista DVD and restore the drivers from the DVD. That should fix the
problems.

If the problem hardware is something new that has never worked with Vista
then the only solution is to keep looking for the drivers at the
manufacturer's website. This has become a daily routine for me as I keep
hoping for them to issue new drivers.

Good luck!

William Dowell

I am logged in as Administrator (tut, tut, yes i know i shouldnt!).. i will
try and resolve this ; it's driving me insane!

Thanks Dennis,
William

William Dowell

Hi,

Thanks for your email -

To clarify, once installed things work. But only once the follow has
happennd (and this happens to everything)

1. Windows detects that there is new hardware (woohoo, at least it does
that!)
2. It then does its "automatic" searching stuff - like in xp i would add.
3. It then phafs about and fails. It then says somthing like have you got a
disk, or asks for manual location.
4. Well, for mass storage devices and USB keys, i know Windows Vista (and xp
and others for that matter) have it all in the box.
5. I therefore direct Windows driver search thingy to Windows/System32
director. It then has a whirl, and accepts it, and installs the device
without futhre problme.

Thing is, this is just not normal!! It didnt do this initally when i
upgraded from XP (ouch, may be should have done clean install...), but now
it does. Who knows what i've done to make this happen!

I have the disks (I have the cd's not the dvd) of Windows Vista Business
(full install)). How do i "repair" windows? I mean, i am sure it's just a
matter of fixing the windows installation. there must be some currupt file,
no? With XP you used to bung in the disk, and see this option "repair". I
really really do not want to re-install everything from scratch. Everything
else is working really well - and i'm a relaitvely happy customer with
everything else!

I am sorry you have so many issues with your hardware. I dont see why the
manufactures couldnt get thier act togher. My digital camera ( a cheap
thing) is an olympu. It just sees the device as external storage aparently ,
according to the manual. Also, there is a list on thier website (the
japensese one i think) with a list of Vista compatible devices. I had an old
olympus C300-zoom. Never offically worked on XP, but a change to an inf file
did the trick (some legal problme or other lead microsoft to disable it).
Olympus havnt been great in my history. As for your HP and Canon stuff -
well, that's just rubbish!! Why why why cant they sort it? i supsect its all
about getting us to pay for more kit! :-(

William

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello William,
Can you send me the setupapi*.log files from the \windows\inf folder?
Zip them up if possible.
Remove the online from my email address before sending.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "William Dowell" <william(((>>>>>(([email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Driver search fails everytime - and have to set the search
manually (each time) to System32.. help...
|>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:40:30 +0100
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>I am logged in as Administrator (tut, tut, yes i know i shouldnt!).. i
will
|>try and resolve this ; it's driving me insane!
|>
|>Thanks Dennis,
|>William

|>> I haven't had this problem so I'm not working from experience. A
|>> Vista search for driver installation leads to "Appendix A-Security
Group
|>> Policy Settings.doc". There is a possibility that this may be normal if
|>> you are logged in as a standard user instead of a member of the
|>> administrators group. Have a great day.
|>>
|>> --
|>> Dennis Pack
|>> XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
|>> Office2007
|>> "William Dowell >>>> (([email protected]>)" <william(((> wrote in
message

William Dowell

ok i'm an idiot - i posted this to everyone - sorry!!

William

William Dowell >>>> (([email protected]>) said:
Darrel,

Thanks for getting back to me on this - you know, this is driving me a
little insane! :)

I've got no brain in terms of inf stuff, but if it helps here is what i
did:

I had Windows XP (SP2) Professional, and upgraded to Windows Vista
Business..
Initially everythign was perfect; instlation went without a hitch, and
everythingn seemed to install itsself perfectly. then - and i thikn it was
about this point - i purcahsed a digital camera (Olympus FE-190). the
manual
goes on about it just detecing as a mass storage device. but Windows Vista
regonised there was the new device, and insisted there were no drivers.
Anyway, eventually - after much head scratching, i tried redirecting the
search to the System32 folder. and hey, it worked. thing is, now everytime
add a new device, the same problem happens. Previously installed devices -
ie things i replug in after this precedure - do not pose a problem.

I hope the files are helpful. there are three of them. If you have a
solution be sure to let me have it!!! re-installing Windows is my very
last
resort as that too is a bit of a pain, however well it works!

Finally, i would just like to say that I am very very impressed with the
RTM
version of Windows Vista - even with this hick-up. For all the bad press,
feel hard working Microsoft staff, partners and testers need to be better
recognised. The little things - and the bigger ones- have made using this
computer so much better. this laptop is aged - it's 4 years on, but
WIndows
Vista is honstly fast than Windows XP was.. I wish Apple and the general
media would just be quiet - or at least get some hard balanced facts, and
stop the mis-informaton campagne!

Kind regards,

William

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello William,
Can you send me the setupapi*.log files from the \windows\inf folder?
Zip them up if possible.
Remove the online from my email address before sending.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
|>From: "William Dowell" <william(((>>>>>(([email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Driver search fails everytime - and have to set the search
manually (each time) to System32.. help...
|>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:40:30 +0100
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>I am logged in as Administrator (tut, tut, yes i know i shouldnt!).. i
will
|>try and resolve this ; it's driving me insane!
|>
|>Thanks Dennis,
|>William

|>> I haven't had this problem so I'm not working from experience.
|>> Vista search for driver installation leads to "Appendix A-Security
Group
|>> Policy Settings.doc". There is a possibility that this may be normal
if
|>> you are logged in as a standard user instead of a member of the
|>> administrators group. Have a great day.
|>>
|>> --
|>> Dennis Pack
|>> XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
|>> Office2007
|>> "William Dowell >>>> (([email protected]>)" <william(((> wrote in
message

tried

HDD,

long -
and

Ronen Zakay

Hi william,

I am having the same problems, did you ever solve it ?

thx,
Ronen

William Dowell

hi ive not heard back ive sent files to darrel but got a message from his
account saying he was out of the office

greyman

Hello all...

This exactly is the problem that I have been experiencing ever since I
installed vista rtm..(no prob in rc1)

The automatic driver installation thing seems to be working fine for
quite few days...but after some time...it doesnt do auto installation
of other hardwares like different flash drives...

I have been screaming for this for quite some time in other
forums...but noone else replied...this is the first time that some
people are reporting of this error..

Dont know what the hell is going on with this error...

but now really happy to know that i am not alone...and collectively
can solve this problem(hopefully)

If any solution known...please share it here..

Thanks

Regards.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello William,
I am back from out of town now.
just getting caught up again>
Can I get the setupapi.app.log and the setupapi.dev.log?
I was looking for those two log files rather than the setupapi.ev* files
that you sent me.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "William Dowell" <william(((>>>>>(([email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Driver search fails everytime - and have to set the search
manually (each time) to System32.. help...
|>Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:57:51 +0100
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>ok i'm an idiot - i posted this to everyone - sorry!!
|>
|>William

|>> Thanks for getting back to me on this - you know, this is driving me a
|>> little insane! :)
|>>
|>> I've got no brain in terms of inf stuff, but if it helps here is what i
|>> did:
|>>
|>> I had Windows XP (SP2) Professional, and upgraded to Windows Vista
|>> Business..
|>> Initially everythign was perfect; instlation went without a hitch, and
|>> everythingn seemed to install itsself perfectly. then - and i thikn it
was
|>> about this point - i purcahsed a digital camera (Olympus FE-190). the
|>> manual
|>> goes on about it just detecing as a mass storage device. but Windows
Vista
|>> regonised there was the new device, and insisted there were no drivers.
|>> Anyway, eventually - after much head scratching, i tried redirecting the
|>> search to the System32 folder. and hey, it worked. thing is, now
everytime
|>> add a new device, the same problem happens. Previously installed
devices -
|>> ie things i replug in after this precedure - do not pose a problem.
|>>
|>> I hope the files are helpful. there are three of them. If you have a
|>> solution be sure to let me have it!!! re-installing Windows is my very
|>> last
|>> resort as that too is a bit of a pain, however well it works!
|>>
|>> Finally, i would just like to say that I am very very impressed with
the
|>> RTM
|>> version of Windows Vista - even with this hick-up. For all the bad
press,
|>> feel hard working Microsoft staff, partners and testers need to be
better
|>> recognised. The little things - and the bigger ones- have made using
this
|>> computer so much better. this laptop is aged - it's 4 years on, but
|>> WIndows
|>> Vista is honstly fast than Windows XP was.. I wish Apple and the general
|>> media would just be quiet - or at least get some hard balanced facts,
and
|>> stop the mis-informaton campagne!
|>>

|>> Kind regards,
|>>
|>> William

message

experience.

Ronen Zakay

Dose anyone have a solution for this?

greyman said:
Hello all...

This exactly is the problem that I have been experiencing ever since I
installed vista rtm..(no prob in rc1)

The automatic driver installation thing seems to be working fine for
quite few days...but after some time...it doesnt do auto installation
of other hardwares like different flash drives...

I have been screaming for this for quite some time in other
forums...but noone else replied...this is the first time that some
people are reporting of this error..

Dont know what the hell is going on with this error...

but now really happy to know that i am not alone...and collectively
can solve this problem(hopefully)

If any solution known...please share it here..

Thanks

Regards.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Ronen,
we understand the issue however we do not have a solution yet.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Ronen Zakay" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Driver search fails everytime - and have to set the search
manually (each time) to System32.. help...
|>Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:16:19 +0200
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>Dose anyone have a solution for this?

|>> This exactly is the problem that I have been experiencing ever since I
|>> installed vista rtm..(no prob in rc1)
|>>
|>> The automatic driver installation thing seems to be working fine for
|>> quite few days...but after some time...it doesnt do auto installation
|>> of other hardwares like different flash drives...
|>>
|>> I have been screaming for this for quite some time in other
|>> forums...but noone else replied...this is the first time that some
|>> people are reporting of this error..
|>>
|>> Dont know what the hell is going on with this error...
|>>
|>> but now really happy to know that i am not alone...and collectively
|>> can solve this problem(hopefully)
|>>
|>> If any solution known...please share it here..
|>>
|>> Thanks
|>>
|>> Regards.
|>>

|>> On Mar 2, 4:18 pm, "William Dowell"

HDD,

greyman

Any solutions to this problem yet??

Thanks.

Hello Ronen,
we understand the issue however we do not have a solution yet.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Ronen Zakay" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Driver search fails everytime - and have to set the search
manually (each time) to System32.. help...
|>Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:16:19 +0200
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>Dose anyone have a solution for this?

|>> This exactly is the problem that I have been experiencing ever since I
|>> installed vista rtm..(no prob in rc1)
|>>
|>> The automatic driver installation thing seems to be working fine for
|>> quite few days...but after some time...it doesnt do auto installation
|>> of other hardwares like different flash drives...
|>>
|>> I have been screaming for this for quite some time in other
|>> forums...but noone else replied...this is the first time that some
|>> people are reporting of this error..
|>>
|>> Dont know what the hell is going on with this error...
|>>
|>> but now really happy to know that i am not alone...and collectively
|>> can solve this problem(hopefully)
|>>
|>> If any solution known...please share it here..
|>>
|>> Thanks
|>>
|>> Regards.

his

HDD,

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
We are looking into generating a fix to resolve the issue. It has not been
created yet.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "greyman" <[email protected]>
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>Subject: Re: Driver search fails everytime - and have to set the search
manually (each time) to System32.. help...
|>Date: 4 Apr 2007 12:40:03 -0700
|>
|>Any solutions to this problem yet??
|>
|>Thanks.
|>
|>On Mar 20, 11:41 pm, (e-mail address removed) ("Darrell
|>Gorter[MSFT]") wrote:
|>> Hello Ronen,
|>> we understand the issue however we do not have a solution yet.
|>>
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------
|>> manually (each time) to System32.. help...

|>> his

|>> tried

withdriversupport..)

|>> HDD,

|>> happen

|>> will

florre

Hello Mates!

Here the solution:

1. go to the C:\Windows\Inf and delete the file INFCACHE.1
2. if you cant delete this file you have to get the rights for it -
hmm I don't know it in English - you have to be the "owner" of the
file
3. Than restart the machine, and voila it works again!

Best regards form sunny Germany (Blackforest)

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
That resolution has some issues and can cause other problems, so it's not
really a great resolution.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: (e-mail address removed)
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>Subject: Re: Driver search fails everytime - and have to set the search
manually (each time) to System32.. help...
|>Date: 6 Apr 2007 03:49:30 -0700
|>
|>Hello Mates!
|>
|>Here the solution:
|>
|>1. go to the C:\Windows\Inf and delete the file INFCACHE.1
|>2. if you cant delete this file you have to get the rights for it -
|>hmm I don't know it in English - you have to be the "owner" of the
|>file
|>3. Than restart the machine, and voila it works again!
|>
|>Best regards form sunny Germany (Blackforest)

florre

Hello,
That resolution has some issues and can cause other problems, so it's not
really a great resolution.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

So which kinds of problems does this resolution have?!

greyman

Yes,please tell what other problems might arise if this solution is
not the proper one.
Or tell what the file"INFCACHE.1" is intended there for??

Thanks.