USB Ports and Mouse Recognition

S

species8350

Vista 32 bit Home Premium

I am having difficulty in getting USB ports to recognise my mouse (Problem occured around a week ago).

I have looked in 'Device Manager' under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' and note that 'Generic USB Hub' has a yellow triangle.

Properties tell me ' This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)'.

Driver is up to date

If I uninstall the USB hub driver, then reboot will Vista re-install the driver automatically (mouse connected) Will I need the Vista DVD disk at hand? Is this the best thing to do?

What does the Generic USB Hub do?

UPDATE

When I initially start my machine, I get the BIOS screen that invites me tologin (to start Vista). The mouse pointer may be frozen. If I re-start, the mouse may stay frozen; if I re-start the machine again, the mouse may become normal. When I login and look at the Generic USB Hub in Control panel the yellow triangle has gone. The next time I re-start the problem may recur.. I mention all this in the hope that it may mean more to you than it does to me.

Thanks

G

Gene E. Bloch

I am having difficulty in getting USB ports to recognise my mouse (Problem occured around a week ago).

I have looked in 'Device Manager' under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' and note that 'Generic USB Hub' has a yellow triangle.

Driver is up to date

If I uninstall the USB hub driver, then reboot will Vista re-install the driver automatically (mouse connected) Will I need the Vista DVD disk at hand? Is this the best thing to do?

UPDATE

When I initially start my machine, I get the BIOS screen that invites me to login (to start Vista). The mouse pointer may be frozen. If I re-start, the mouse may stay frozen; if I re-start the machine again, the mouse may become normal. When I login and look at the Generic USB Hub in Control panel the yellow triangle has gone. The next time I re-start the problem may recur. I mention all this in the hope that it may mean more to you than it does to me.

Thanks

Uninstalling and allowing reinstalling should work automatically, as you
expect.

OTOH, have you tried using a different USB port? Have you tried using a
different mouse?

Is your mouse wired or wireless? If wireless, have you checked the
battery?

S

species8350

Uninstalling and allowing reinstalling should work automatically, as you

expect.

OTOH, have you tried using a different USB port? Have you tried using a

different mouse?

Is your mouse wired or wireless? If wireless, have you checked the

battery?

Thanks for responding.

I get the same problem using different USB ports.

A different mouse gives the same problem.

The mouse is wired.

It seems the uninstall/re-install is the next step. You say that the process is automatic, will I need the Vista DVD disk at hand?

Best wishes.

S

PS. The problem often resolves itself by a reboot or two or three. Any comments?

G

Gene E. Bloch

Thanks for responding.

I get the same problem using different USB ports.

A different mouse gives the same problem.

The mouse is wired.

It seems the uninstall/re-install is the next step. You say that the process is automatic, will I need the Vista DVD disk at hand?

Best wishes.

S

PS. The problem often resolves itself by a reboot or two or three. Any comments?

You don't need the DVD. The driver set is in your file system.

Sorry my ideas didn't help...

S

species8350

Driver is up to date

UPDATE

When I initially start my machine, I get the BIOS screen that invites me to login (to start Vista). The mouse pointer may be frozen. If I re-start, the mouse may stay frozen; if I re-start the machine again, the mouse may become normal. When I login and look at the Generic USB Hub in Control panelthe yellow triangle has gone. The next time I re-start the problem may recur. I mention all this in the hope that it may mean more to you than it does to me.

Thanks

Thanks for responding.

No need to apologise, you tried to help.

Thanks to all for advice.

Best wishes.

A

Ask a Question