driver backups

Char Jackson

See my comment below. (I can't seem to recall having to install a
particular device driver for some time. Now, as to whether or not the
installation of a program did it automatically, THAT's another story).

Well, that particular scenario escapes me at the moment. :)

I'm still boggled that you'd suggest restoring an entire system
instead of installing a needed device driver. One task takes a few
minutes and doesn't disturb anything else while the other task is as
disruptive as it can get, short of doing a clean OS install.

dadiOH

Char said:
It's just that simple. I don't know why some people fall for the
so-called driver backup tools/sites.

One possibility is that the person made their computer from disparate parts.
True, they could still go to the individual manufacturer's sites; true, they
have - or should have - the original software disc that came with the
hardware. Neverthe less, it could still be easier to use a program to
bundle up the installed drivers into self installing exe files.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

glee said:
Yes... I'd like to see some detailed info from someone who has
*restored* drivers backed up by one of those driver backup program, as
to what is backed up exactly, how well the restoration works, and
whether it is a one at a time backup and restoration or can be done en
masse.

The program I mentioned - My Drivers - will let you backup all drivers, any
group of drivers as you choose or any individual driver. They can be packed
into a self extracting/installing exe or - IIRC - into a standard zip.

They can be re-installed en masse or individually.

I don't recall ever re-installing a driver, haven't used the program for a
long while (since Win98 days) but it at least provided peace of mind.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

glee

Char Jackson said:
And you decided to run with it without knowing any details?
snip

Details... just some of them:

Windows 7 fix for slow copy speeds from USB
http://narayanraman.blogspot.com/2010/11/windows-7-fix-for-slow-copy-speeds-from.html

Why is Windows 7 so slow in copying network files?
http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/4537c7b6-9761-41c5-8b47-0ecb831c8575/
(LOTS of details in this one thread)

Very Slow File Operations- Copying, Deleting
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/47356-very-slow-file-operations-copying-deleting.html

file delete very slow - Windows 7 Forums
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/91165-file-delete-very-slow.html

windows 7 deleting/discovering items is very slow
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ery-slow/f1d8d485-a9c8-4ec9-ae31-27c8c26164a5

Windows 7, Deleting Large files is extremely slow
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ely-slow/f2b32bf0-bab6-4935-9002-8127d9ca066a

glee

Bill in Co said:
And just who does know the proper order of precedence? Does he or
she exist on this planet?

The order of precedence has been known since Windows 95 days. It is
even given on the web sites of many of the chipset and display card
makers. After the computer build and Windows install, the motherboard
chipset drivers are installed first. The display driver is installed
next. The audio driver should be installed after that, then network
drivers. After that you can install other drivers in pretty much the
order of your choice.

glee

Bill in Co said:
That's true, and I never said otherwise. However, one might get
updated behind the scenes when you install a newer version of a
program.

But Bill, that's what your tinfoil hat is for! ;-)

Char Jackson

The order of precedence has been known since Windows 95 days. It is
even given on the web sites of many of the chipset and display card
makers. After the computer build and Windows install, the motherboard
chipset drivers are installed first. The display driver is installed
next. The audio driver should be installed after that, then network
drivers. After that you can install other drivers in pretty much the
order of your choice.

I think you were expected to make it sound much more complicated than
that. ;-)

Char Jackson

Details... just some of them:

Windows 7 fix for slow copy speeds from USB
http://narayanraman.blogspot.com/2010/11/windows-7-fix-for-slow-copy-speeds-from.html

Why is Windows 7 so slow in copying network files?
http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/4537c7b6-9761-41c5-8b47-0ecb831c8575/
(LOTS of details in this one thread)

Very Slow File Operations- Copying, Deleting
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/47356-very-slow-file-operations-copying-deleting.html

file delete very slow - Windows 7 Forums
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/91165-file-delete-very-slow.html

windows 7 deleting/discovering items is very slow
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ery-slow/f1d8d485-a9c8-4ec9-ae31-27c8c26164a5

Windows 7, Deleting Large files is extremely slow
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ely-slow/f2b32bf0-bab6-4935-9002-8127d9ca066a

Thanks for the links. I've browsed the first two and plan to get to
the rest later today. It's interesting that my experience was just the
opposite. Moving from XP to 7 brought my network transfer speeds up
from about 200 Mbps to 990+ Mbps, as I wrote about earlier this month
in the win7 group:

glee

Char Jackson said:
Thanks for the links. I've browsed the first two and plan to get to
the rest later today. It's interesting that my experience was just the
opposite. Moving from XP to 7 brought my network transfer speeds up
from about 200 Mbps to 990+ Mbps, as I wrote about earlier this month
in the win7 group:

I haven't noticed any slowness moving or copying files at all, on my own
machine, or on many others, so I don't think that is really a Windows
problem but rather an interaction with something(s) that have not been
determined. I do see some slowness deleting files, which is a
carry-over from Vista.
My network transfers, like yours, are faster, so again it seems like an
interaction with some undetermined third character.

I report it because it does occur for some users, with either no fix or
a variety of fixes depending on the machine. It does make good fodder
for the anti-change people.

glee

Char Jackson said:
I think you were expected to make it sound much more complicated than
that. ;-)

OK.... first buy a driver back-up program, then catch a snake and
squeeze out all the oil.....

Char Jackson

I haven't noticed any slowness moving or copying files at all, on my own
machine, or on many others, so I don't think that is really a Windows
problem but rather an interaction with something(s) that have not been
determined. I do see some slowness deleting files, which is a
carry-over from Vista.
My network transfers, like yours, are faster, so again it seems like an
interaction with some undetermined third character.

Like you, I haven't seen it on the systems in my house or in the shop,
and no customers have complained of slowness so far. No doubt some
people are experiencing it, but it doesn't seem to be widespread so my
assumption mirrors yours, that it's an interaction with something
else.
I report it because it does occur for some users, with either no fix or
a variety of fixes depending on the machine. It does make good fodder
for the anti-change people.

The anti-change people are a hoot. :)

Char Jackson

IF you happen to have it, and IF it happens to be the right version that you
have saved, and IF you are able to successfully restore it - then yes, of
course. :)

So, no need for the mind-boggling.

We're as different in that regard as two people can get. I save image
restores for a last resort, not a first option.

Jo-Anne

Bill in Co said:
When I did this some time ago, I tried out and used two different
programs, "Driver Genius Professional", and "Driver Magician", but I don't
think they were free. But I don't recall ever having the need to use
them. But I thought I'd at least throw this out here for ya, Jo-Anne.
At this point I don't recall the pros and cons of each, and I'm sure there
are some others out there.
Thank you, Bill!

Jo-Anne

BillW50

In glee typed:
The order of precedence has been known since Windows 95 days. It is
even given on the web sites of many of the chipset and display card
makers. After the computer build and Windows install, the motherboard
chipset drivers are installed first. The display driver is installed
next. The audio driver should be installed after that, then network
drivers. After that you can install other drivers in pretty much the
order of your choice.

That is only true of individual driver installs. As usual, Char has it
wrong. As the driver backup programs, the drivers have already been
installed. So there is no driver install running to try to figure out
which files it needs to install based on what chipset and video card you
have. As that was all done the very first time the drivers were
installed.

BillW50

In Char Jackson typed:
You guys go ahead. I think most people who work with this stuff on a
daily basis will stay far away from such helpful applications.

That is because they usually charge by the hour and don't want to get
the job done too quickly. :p

BillW50

In Char Jackson typed:
Only one person (in this thread) claimed to know. Two guesses who it
was. Hint: he usually doesn't know what he's talking about.

Oh, that is Char Jackson. ;-)
As for the rest of us, it's not rocket science. Installing hardware,
and coincidentally installing their drivers, is a rather simple and
mundane task. There's absolutely no reason to employ some kind of
program to manage it.

Actually the reason is to avoid the mundane task and speed the drivers'
install to get that task out of the way so they can quickly do more
important things. But some people just don't get it.

BillW50

In Char Jackson typed:
I'm serious, you're making things far more difficult than they need to
be.

Spoken by one who rather go through the mundane task of installing every
driver individually. ;-)

BillW50

In J. P. Gilliver (John) typed:
What's wrong with the concept of using them, and then patching (if
that's the right word) any drivers that they _don't_ get right? Surely
that could still be quicker than dealing with _all_ the drivers
individually.

It is very quick and saves a lot of time. But those that get paid by the
hour don't want to save time though. As they want to milk it and go
through the mundane task of installing every single one individually.
Some of us have better things to do than to wait and keep the clock
running. ;-)