Drive Life Best Practice?

Justin Goldberg

What is the best practice for extending your hard drive's life? I
remember reading about putting the MBR after the first 64 mb, [or
sector or some other metric], of a drive? Or if that is not possible,
then putting the first partition after 64mb?

I remember reading this somewhere ( I can't remember where though,
could it have been the partition magic or system commander manual?)
and I wonder if it still applies.

Regards,
Justin,
hdd newbie

Rod Speed

Justin Goldberg said:
What is the best practice for extending your hard drive's life?

Make sure it doest get too hot and dont use it as a football.
I remember reading about putting the MBR after the first
64 mb, [or sector or some other metric], of a drive?

Thats got nothing to do with its life. And doesnt apply to modern drives anyway.
Or if that is not possible, then putting the first partition after 64mb?

Pointless as far as the life of the drive is concerned.
I remember reading this somewhere ( I can't remember where though,
could it have been the partition magic or system commander manual?)
and I wonder if it still applies.

Nope.

Arno Wagner

Previously Justin Goldberg said:
What is the best practice for extending your hard drive's life? I
remember reading about putting the MBR after the first 64 mb, [or
sector or some other metric], of a drive? Or if that is not possible,
then putting the first partition after 64mb?

All irrelevant today. I also doubt it was ever relevant.
I remember reading this somewhere ( I can't remember where though,
could it have been the partition magic or system commander manual?)
and I wonder if it still applies.

Definitely not.

Arno

Justin Goldberg

Make sure it doest get too hot and dont use it as a football.

How do I monitor the temperature? Software?

And what is a good temperature?
I remember reading about putting the MBR after the first
64 mb, [or sector or some other metric], of a drive?

Thats got nothing to do with its life. And doesnt apply to modern drives anyway.
Or if that is not possible, then putting the first partition after 64mb?

Pointless as far as the life of the drive is concerned.
I remember reading this somewhere ( I can't remember where though,
could it have been the partition magic or system commander manual?)
and I wonder if it still applies.

Nope.

Justin Goldberg

Make sure it doest get too hot and dont use it as a football.

Okay, I googled my drive and found it's operating temperature is 5-55
degrees c. The DTemp program shows "Temperature check capability not
found".

Also the Load Cycle Count is the only one in red, but it isn't a life
critical attribute according to the program. It's value is 67 and it's
threshold is 70.

Does the drive itself say what is life critical?

Rod Speed

How do I monitor the temperature? Software?

Yep, SMART. Not always available, particularly with USB external drives.
And what is a good temperature?

Below 40C is fine, below 45C is still quite acceptable.
I remember reading about putting the MBR after the first
64 mb, [or sector or some other metric], of a drive?
Thats got nothing to do with its life. And doesnt apply to modern drives anyway.
Or if that is not possible, then putting the first partition after 64mb?
Pointless as far as the life of the drive is concerned.
I remember reading this somewhere ( I can't remember where though,
could it have been the partition magic or system commander manual?)
and I wonder if it still applies.
Nope.

Rod Speed

Okay, I googled my drive and found it's operating temperature is 5-55 degrees c.

That max isnt good for the life of the drive.
The DTemp program shows "Temperature check capability not found".

Which drive ?
Also the Load Cycle Count is the only one in red, but it isn't a life critical
attribute according to the program. It's value is 67 and it's threshold is 70.

Post the Everest SMART report.
Does the drive itself say what is life critical?

Sort of. But SMART is more about reporting when a drive may be dying.

Arno Wagner

Okay, I googled my drive and found it's operating temperature is 5-55
degrees c. The DTemp program shows "Temperature check capability not
found".
Also the Load Cycle Count is the only one in red, but it isn't a life
critical attribute according to the program. It's value is 67 and it's
threshold is 70.

That would mean it is belkow the threshold.
Does the drive itself say what is life critical?

Load Cycle Count is life critical. Typically it will
nit result in a complete failure, but increased error rates.
You should not use this drive anymore.

Arno

Franc Zabkar

What is the best practice for extending your hard drive's life? I
remember reading about putting the MBR after the first 64 mb, [or
sector or some other metric], of a drive? Or if that is not possible,
then putting the first partition after 64mb?

I remember reading this somewhere ( I can't remember where though,
could it have been the partition magic or system commander manual?)
and I wonder if it still applies.

Regards,
Justin,
hdd newbie

AFAIK, the MBR must always occupy physical sector 0 because that's
where the BIOS first looks for bootstrap code. The only reason that I
can see why the number 64 sticks in your mind is that the 64th sector
is usually where the boot sector of the first partition resides.
Normally there are 63 sectors per track, so the first partition starts
at the first track boundary.

- Franc Zabkar

Eric Gisin

Franc Zabkar said:
AFAIK, the MBR must always occupy physical sector 0 because that's
where the BIOS first looks for bootstrap code. The only reason that I
can see why the number 64 sticks in your mind is that the 64th sector
is usually where the boot sector of the first partition resides.
Normally there are 63 sectors per track, so the first partition starts
at the first track boundary.
No, the first partition is sector 63, but 64 is better with RAID.
That aligns NTFS and FAT32 clusters with RAID stripes.
The drive does not report track boundries anymore.

Franc Zabkar

No, the first partition is sector 63, but 64 is better with RAID.
That aligns NTFS and FAT32 clusters with RAID stripes.
The drive does not report track boundries anymore.

I didn't say "sector 64" (counting from sector 0), I said "the 64th
sector" (counting from the 1st).

- Franc Zabkar

Eric Gisin

Franc Zabkar said:
I didn't say "sector 64" (counting from sector 0), I said "the 64th
sector" (counting from the 1st).
Nobody does that. Yes, I know that stupid sector register goes from 1-63.

Squeeze

Franc Zabkar wrote in news:[email protected]
[...]

There is no such 'so' about it.

Squeeze

Eric Gisin wrote in news:[email protected]
Uber FolkNazi bullshit!
Show us the IDE command to do so.

And lend you any form of credibility, Gisin Newbie, by allowing you
light of day?

I don't think so.

So now it is the command that doesn't exist anymore, is it?
Sillier by the minute. Like I said, utter nonsense, as usual from you.