drive keeps having partition problems

Dave Seven

Rod said:
Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag, ****wit.

Isn't that the exact same flame you have been using for the past ten
years? Time to buy the new 'Flaming For Dummies' book as they have now
expanded it beyond one flame.

Squeeze

Franc Zabkar wrote in news:[email protected]
The following article suggests that S.M.A.R.T is always enabled as far
as the drive is concerned.

Silly you:

Page 247
8.51.1 SMART DISABLE OPERATIONS
8.51.1.1 Command code
B0h with a Feature register value of D9h.
8.51.1.2 Feature set
SMART feature set.
- Mandatory when the SMART feature set is implemented.
- Use prohibited when the PACKET Command feature set is implemented.

8.51.1.8 Description
This command disables all SMART capabilities within the device including any and all timer and event count
functions related exclusively to this feature. After command acceptance the device shall disable all SMART
operations. SMART data shall no longer be monitored or saved by the device. The state of SMART, either
enabled or disabled, shall be preserved by the device across power cycles.

T13 Draft 1410D
The BIOS setting merely controls whether
the BIOS will test the SMART health status of a disc at bootup.

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

My computer's BIOS has a SMART enable/disable setting. What does it
do, and how should I set it?

Some type of BIOS can check the SMART health status of a disk at
bootup ... This one-time check on bootup is done if the BIOS SMART
setting is set to 'ENABLE', and is not done if the setting is set to
'DISABLE'.

If this one-time check is done, and the disk's health status is found
to be 'FAIL', then typically the BIOS will display an error message
and refuse to boot the machine.

For the proper functioning of smartmontools [or any other SMART
software tool], either BIOS setting may be used.

- Franc Zabkar

Squeeze

Franc Zabkar wrote in news:[email protected]
That depends on the BIOS.

Pity about the "S.M.A.R.T is *always* enabled as far as the drive is concerned".
The SMART enable/disable setting in the AMI BIOS of my PCChips socket
7 M571 mainboard has no effect on SMART reporting. When I run the
Smartudm utility after a DOS boot, it always shows that SMART is
enabled, and the SMART attributes are always updated.

OTOH, the SMART enable/disable setting in my ECS L7S7A2 AMI BIOS
does disable the updating of SMART attributes. Smartudm shows it as
disabled on its first run. Subsequent passes show it as enabled (by
Smartudm), until the next reboot when the BIOS reverts it to disabled.

Right, S.M.A.R.T is *not* always enabled as far as the drive is concerned.

[snip]

Squeeze

Franc Zabkar wrote in news:[email protected]
The author of smartmontools is both right and wrong depending on which
version of BIOS you have.

Pity that the author of smartmontools didn't say anything of the sort.
The conclusion was all your's and no one elses.