Windows XP Downloading songs from I-Pod

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How do you do that then?

I recently formatted my computer hard disk, fresh install, have installed latest version of I-Tunes.

What I want to do is load all files from I-Pod to I-Tunes library, I currently have 7.63Gb worth of files on my player.

I can see the I-Pod as an external hard disk but can't see all the songs/movie files on it.

I can see all files on player within I-Tunes, use 'select all' select 'copy' but no paste option when I select I-Tunes library.

I have selected 'manually update I-Pod' as I figure any other option might erease tunes from the player.

I'm really stumped with this, hope somebody can help.

Reaction score
Wasnt this covered a couple of weeks ago?

Some guy had a problem transfering file over to his PC from his ipod or summat. He had formatted his HDD and could no longer send em back over because all the permissions from the tracks had been erased. Not sure if this is the same thing?

Cant find link either sorry m8

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I also found this which looks to do the trick.

Apparently Apple took this facility from I-Tunes after V4.6, which is very annoying, to say the least.

triplex: I don't recall the thread you're referring to and neither can I find it.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, I read that post ... can't find it either. I just had a laugh. :)

I have a "device" here ... I can take it anywhere and plug it in, it will play your music, my music, and anybody else music ... I don't need any special software, I'm not tied to one format either, it can play all three formats at a flick of a switch.

They were all the rage in the 60's and you can still buy them now ... what is it?

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I have a "device" here ... I can take it anywhere and plug it in, it will play your music, my music, and anybody else music ... I don't need any special software, I'm not tied to one format either, it can play all three formats at a flick of a switch.

They were all the rage in the 60's and you can still buy them now ... what is it?

laughingsmiley.gif

Ah, you'll be referring to your transistor radio won't you? ;)

Of which Benny Hill sang and I listened to under the bedclothes late at night when I should have been alseep.

I suspect yours is still tuned to Radio Stations Caroline, London & Luxembourg :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
try again ...

floppybootstomp said:
Ah, you'll be referring to your transistor radio won't you? ;)

Of which Benny Hill sang and I listened to under the bedclothes late at night when I should have been alseep.

I suspect yours is still tuned to Radio Stations Caroline, London & Luxembourg :D
Nope ... not a radio nor a tape recorder ... somethin you know very well Mr DJ. :p

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ok mucks I give up, dunno, unless you mean a ghetto blaster but they weren't about in the sixties, they didn't come along til mid seventies.

The software linked to in above post works for downloading songs from I-Pod. However, as I stayed online, I-Tunes/Apple has decided to rearrange all my playlists into how it thinks I should have them organised and not how I want them organised.

Really bloody infuriating, actually, which just goes to confirm always be wary of something that has been Apple branded. It may look dead sexy but really the software is crap.

It took almost two hours to transfer 7.63Gb from I-Pod to hard disk folder via USB2.

Next time I do this thing, and may actually do it again, I gonna pull network cable so I offline, cos this Apple/I-Pod/I-Tunes sucks a large one.

I was actually seduced by the I-Pod's looks and the rotary wheel and stuff but I sometimes wonder if I should have gone for Creative Zen.

I have the I-Pod video 30Gb. It doesn't have voice record or an FM tuner, I-Tunes won't let you download from it and I-Tunes also has a mind of it's own.

Battery life is about ten hours on audio and 90 minutes on video. You cannot change the battery on-the-go.

Yep, Creative Zen's looking more and more attractive, if only the I-Pod didn't look so damn good.

I paid £190.00 for the video 30Gb I-Pod on Amazon. Oh boy.

Plus £27.00 for Sennheisser PX200 folding headphones and £35.00 for a docking/charging station with speakers.

To quote Mr Lydon 'Ever feel you been cheated?'

muckshifter

Reaction score
ok mucks I give up, dunno...
oh, ok, it was just a record player. :)

This one I got will play your 'tunes' and mine. :D

You was robbed my friend ... :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, a record player eh? Doh.

It was the 'triple format' thing that baffled me but of course that'll be 78/45/33 eh? ;)

Nice one Mr Mucks, wheel out that old Dansette and them 45's :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
It was the 'triple format' thing that baffled me but of course that'll be 78/45/33 eh?
Thought you might have got that ... :thumb:

Nettie bought it, and it HAD to play her 78s ... I got a CD around here somewhere with some really old stuff. :D

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Actually, I have to say in my defence that the I-Pod I have is £220.00 just about everywhere else, £190.00 from Amazon which I paid was a good price.

It also sounds superb and is great to use.

Now, if only Apple could sort out the crap software.....

Ask a Question