Downloading AOL email to Outlook Express

Confused

Hi -
Can anyone help me? I am new to using Outlook
Express. It came with Office 2000 Professional (I
think). I am trying to set up the email portion to
download from my AOL email address. And I can't find how
to do this. One way I tried listed 5 options for the
download, but none of them worked for AOL.
Where do you request this? Where do you put in your
email address?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Confused

*Vanguard*

"Confused" said in news:[email protected]:
Hi -
Can anyone help me? I am new to using Outlook
Express. It came with Office 2000 Professional (I
think). I am trying to set up the email portion to
download from my AOL email address. And I can't find how
to do this. One way I tried listed 5 options for the
download, but none of them worked for AOL.
Where do you request this? Where do you put in your
email address?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Confused

Has AOL finally got RFC-compliant Internet standard POP3 and SMTP servers
yet? They didn't have before. They still probably don't. I've heard rumor
that they will eventually but that could be months and months away. AOL
uses a propriatary IMAP-like protocol all their own. So obviously e-mail
clients that expect to use Internet standard mail servers won't work with
AOL. Time to toss AOL and get a real Internet service provider.

OL2000: AOL E-mail Service Is Not Available for Microsoft Outlook Users
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=243336

Confused

"Confused" said in news:bff901c3ee3e$7fd11de0 [email protected]:

Has AOL finally got RFC-compliant Internet standard POP3 and SMTP servers
yet? They didn't have before. They still probably don't. I've heard rumor
that they will eventually but that could be months and months away. AOL
uses a propriatary IMAP-like protocol all their own. So obviously e-mail
clients that expect to use Internet standard mail servers won't work with
AOL. Time to toss AOL and get a real Internet service provider.

OL2000: AOL E-mail Service Is Not Available for Microsoft Outlook Users
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=243336
Hi -
Thanks for the info, though discouraging, about AOL.
What is a "real Internet service provider" - Earthlink or
what?
Thanks again.
Confused

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Anyone but AOL.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer:
Confused <[email protected]> asked: