Double underline words

Andy

Does someone know how to stop those "double underline links."

When you hover over them, they open up irritating boxes.

They happen in Windows and Linux

Have a great weekend,

Andy

P.S. Does anyone have difficulty with those Captchas ?

JJ

Does someone know how to stop those "double underline links."

When you hover over them, they open up irritating boxes.

They happen in Windows and Linux

Have a great weekend,

Surprisingly, I never see one. Screenshot?
P.S. Does anyone have difficulty with those Captchas ?

I only have dificulty with them when I use Tor.
But which captcha are you talking about?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

JJ said:
Surprisingly, I never see one. Screenshot?

I think a few sites use them; if you (Andy) are only seeing them on a
few sites, give us example URLs, but I suspect there's nothing you can
do about them as those sites have chosen that particular funding method.

If you're getting them on lots of sites, then you've probably somehow
acquired an add-on/extension/whatever that does it. (JJ: they
double-underline certain key words/phrases in all sorts of pages, such
as "computer", "Windows 7", and so on, and when you hover over them, try
to tell you of ways of acquiring the highlighted word/phrase - i. e.
they're selling.) I'm not sure under what circumstances you'd have
acquired such an add-on - obviously it would have presented itself as
something more useful, or possibly been added when you installed
something else and chose the "standard" option (sadly, but
understandably, many freewares these days use this method of funding).
Does the Ask extension do this?

If you're getting them on many pages so it isn't just some sites, then
the fact that you're getting them in both Windows and Linux suggests
that you have the same extension in the browser(s) on both machines,
which might help pin it down. (What browser?)
I only have dificulty with them when I use Tor.
But which captcha are you talking about?

Indeed, the captchas on which site(s)?

Is the reason they[the crown jewels]'re not insured, that the Queen's got form
because of that fire at Windsor? - Lucy Porter on "The Unbelievable Truth",
2012-April-8

Paul

Andy said:
Does someone know how to stop those "double underline links."

When you hover over them, they open up irritating boxes.

They happen in Windows and Linux

Have a great weekend,

Andy

P.S. Does anyone have difficulty with those Captchas ?

The underlined words come two ways. One way is provided
on the web page source itself. But that might be a single underline,
and be Intellitxt. That could be implemented with JavaScript
on the affected page. At least one home-made "hosts" file
blocks the vibrantmedia domain, to try to stop them. I don't know
if that's the best way or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellitxt

That's not considered Adware as such, because the website
itself hopes to profit from partnering with VibrantMedia
and having underlines added to things. The effect is then
only seen on individual pages partnering with VibrantMedia
and does not "spread" to other pages. Every page won't
be affected like that.

*******

This site has very generic (and sometimes overkill) suggestions
for removal of things like BHO (browser helper objects). Sometimes
underlined text is being done with something added to the browser
itself. So they can collect advertising money from web sites
other than their own. One of the steps here, has you look
in Add/Remove Programs, for the installer that put it there.

Of the suggestions here, I'd try AdwCleaner.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/green-double-underlined-ads-removal/

Use one of the blue arrowed boxes, to start the download.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

You run the "scan" button only, to start. The prefs.js
of your browser will be listed in one of the scan
results, but is only significant, if lines of text appear
directly below that entry. As the lines of text below the
file reference, show what is wrong with the file (extra
preferences in a prefs.js that don't belong there).

Read the instructions on bleepingcomputer, as there are
some add-ons that are booby-trapped, and removal with
AdwCleaner in that case, could have a slight side effect.
Once you're absolutely sure what you're dealing with,
you can then use the removal button.

Paul

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>, Paul <[email protected]>
writes:
[]
Of the suggestions here, I'd try AdwCleaner.
[]
Though I'll add a warning: when it lists your browser addons (or other
name), make sure you know what they are before letting it remove them:
most do appear with a name that might jog your memory, but some just
appear as a string of meaningless characters. I told it to remove two or
three of the ones that appeared like that, and found I'd removed Tab Mix
Plus and at least one other I liked (from Firefox). So I think some
add-ons don't store their identity in a way that Adwcleaner recognises.

Is the reason they[the crown jewels]'re not insured, that the Queen's got form
because of that fire at Windsor? - Lucy Porter on "The Unbelievable Truth",
2012-April-8

JJ

I think a few sites use them;

I'd be very interested if you could point one, if you still remember. Cause,
neither HTML nor CSS specifications has double-underline font styling. Only
(single) underline is defined.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

JJ said:
I'd be very interested if you could point one, if you still remember. Cause,
neither HTML nor CSS specifications has double-underline font styling. Only
(single) underline is defined.

I might be wrong, but when Andy mentioned it, it sounded familiar. If
you're still with this thread, Andy, can you give a URL?

(I'm puzzled by "neither HTML not CSS specifications" - I thought,
though I've never actually got into them, that CSS was just a way of
making a common style for several web pages - i. e. CSS wouldn't have
anything HTML didn't anyway. Isn't that so, i. e. can CSS specify styles
HTML can't?)

Mayayana

| I might be wrong, but when Andy mentioned it, it sounded familiar. If
| you're still with this thread, Andy, can you give a URL?

I found a sample here:
http://www.vibrantmedia.com/whatisintellitxt.asp

I got curious because I've never run across this
before. The sample uses javascript that loads an iframe.
So one can block script, iframes, or as Paul suggested,
edit the HOSTS file. But in general, if script is enabled
it's hard to stop these kinds of intrusions.

| (I'm puzzled by "neither HTML not CSS specifications" - I thought,
| though I've never actually got into them, that CSS was just a way of
| making a common style for several web pages - i. e. CSS wouldn't have
| anything HTML didn't anyway. Isn't that so, i. e. can CSS specify styles
| HTML can't?)

HTML tags have attributes. Styles can be applied to HTML
tags, and there's a lot of overlap, but they're not the
same as attributes. Part of the improvement with CSS
is that there's been an attempt to standardize all CSS
properties to all tags. For instance, in HTML there can
be a BORDER attribute to the IMG tag that specifies
a pixel width for a solid border, but in CSS any element
can have a specified border width, any of several border
styles, and border color.

Todd

It the Webpage or

Can be a browser plug-in
In the pass i have seen Ask.com Toolbar
use the double underline links

It's for a Advertiser
Click.Links.
Pays 0.0003%

Post the Webpage URL

if I see no double underline links
it's a plug-in
If do it be in the HTML Code
and I be able to tell you
who the Advertiser host is

Scan your computer for junkware.

http://thisisudax.org/

I hate "ask"

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Todd <[email protected]> said:
"Todd"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
@dont-email.me... []
Scan your computer for junkware.

< http://thisisudax.org/ >

I hate "ask"

Me Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Good link

That particular link has rescued countless of
my customers SSSLLLOOOWWW machines. I have
taken to running it as a routine.
Thanks for it. Note it takes a long time to run - it was 20-30 minutes
here.

It didn't seem to find much: two registry values repaired ...\Internet
Explorer\SearchScopes\..., deleted a coupons folder (n. b. it didn't
ask), and emptied a Firefox minidumps folder. Does this mean I'm just a
safe person anyway?

It's not an installer, it just runs (first thing it does is go online,
to get a text file - one screenful - to tell you how it's going to
work). When you read that and tell it to carry on, the next thing it
does is make an ERUNT backup (I'd recognise that screen anywhere!).

Thanks for the tip.