Dos format command

Dave

Hi

I have downloaded a file to upgrade my bios. It requires me to first
format a floppy disc using format A:/S. This does not work from WinXp
and I do not have access to DOS. Is there anyway I can format the floppy
with the /S command? I tried sys a: but that did not work either.
Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

Dave

Patti MacLeod

Hi Dave,

Perhaps d/load the "Dr DOS Bootdisk" for BIOS flashing, used by many for
years:
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Click on either 1, 2 or 3 beside "Driver Free Disk For BIOS Flashing" (the
three are the same file, just mirror sites, so it doesn't matter which
number you select for download)
Save the file to hard drive, put a floppy disk in the drive and then
double-click on the d/loaded file in order to create the basic boot disk.
Test it out by booting from it, if you like. You can then copy the BIOS
flash file(s) to the basic boot disk.

Mark L. Ferguson

There exists a way to format a bootable Dos disk within windows.
Put in a floppy disk, rightclick the A drive icon in Explorer, choose
Format, and look for the checkbox to elect to create a "Ms-Dos Boot disk" in
that dialog box.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

hmm?

are you sure that you
need such an update?

if your pc is running ok,
i would not go out of
the way to make an old fashion
dos disk to install a bios
upgrade.

you really should post
additional information
otherwise how can the
experts here provide you
with information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Dave

Dave said:
Hi

I have downloaded a file to upgrade my bios. It requires me to first
format a floppy disc using format A:/S. This does not work from WinXp
and I do not have access to DOS. Is there anyway I can format the floppy
with the /S command? I tried sys a: but that did not work either.
Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

Dave

Many thanks to all of you. all suggestions were very helpful.
For db..'s information the only reason I want to upgrade my bios is to
see whether it will support booting from a usb drive. I will ofcourse
back my bios settings prior to upgrading.
I would have posted mmore information but all I wanted was a dos boot
disk not info on bios upgrading. For now anyway. :)

Thanks again for your helpful advise and time.

Regards

Dave

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

oh, i see.

i made a usb boot a while
back. it was fun but realized
that i didn't need it...