DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT "PATH" Command Doesn't Work

John Wesley Asquith

Vista apparently does NOT utilize the AUTOEXEC.BAT file in the root
directory of the hard drive. If one puts a PATH command in it, it
doesn't take effect when booting. In fact, the path set by Vista comes
from somewhere but they give no clue as to where it is set and how to
configure it differently.

Anyone know anything about this and how to configure a different path
than Vista sets???

I use Vista Home Premium edition.

Thanks.

Rock

John Wesley Asquith said:
Vista apparently does NOT utilize the AUTOEXEC.BAT file in the root
directory of the hard drive. If one puts a PATH command in it, it
doesn't take effect when booting. In fact, the path set by Vista comes
from somewhere but they give no clue as to where it is set and how to
configure it differently.

Anyone know anything about this and how to configure a different path
than Vista sets???

I use Vista Home Premium edition.

Use the set command from and elevated command prompt or right click the
Computer icon | Properties | Advanced System Settings in the left pane |
Advanced Tab | Environment Variables | System Variables | Edit.

Rick Rogers

Didn't work in XP either, as NT systems don't use that file. If it's there,
it's because something you installed placed one there and expects it to be
there. Rock has given you the proper steps to declare the environmental
variable.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Rick,
Should still pick it up the environmental variables from autoexec.bat.
It doesn't grab them at boot time but the file should be parsed and the
envirronmental variables added to the system variables.
I just created an autoexec.bat and placed it in root of the drive that
contains bootmgr.
I added a set statement as well as a set path to add a path entry and a new
variable.
I rebooted.
The new variable was now available as the path was appended with the new
folder I added.
Should work the same as it did in Windows XP. We don't load execuables
from the autoexec.bat file but we should load variable settings such as
path entries.
I didn't try the config.sys but we should pci variables from that as well.
No driver loads of course or execuables.
We don't mount or run the files, but they both should be parsed during boot
for variable settings.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Rick Rogers" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT "PATH" Command Doesn't Work
|>Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 07:28:41 -0400
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>Didn't work in XP either, as NT systems don't use that file. If it's
there,
|>it's because something you installed placed one there and expects it to
be
|>there. Rock has given you the proper steps to declare the environmental
|>variable.
|>
|>--
|>Best of Luck,
|>
|>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
|>
|>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

|>> directory of the hard drive. If one puts a PATH command in it, it
|>> doesn't take effect when booting. In fact, the path set by Vista comes
|>> from somewhere but they give no clue as to where it is set and how to
|>> configure it differently.
|>>
|>> Anyone know anything about this and how to configure a different path
|>> than Vista sets???
|>>
|>> I use Vista Home Premium edition.
|>>
|>> Thanks.

Joe Guidera

Hit the start button RIGHT click on "computer" and choose properties. In
the resulting dialog, hit "advanced system settings" link then press the
environment variables button.

The information you're referring to is stored in the registry (and was under
Windows XP as well).

Cheers,
Joe