AUTOEXEC.BAT File

G

I am getting the following message when using Lotus Word Pr

"Warning: Your computer is too low on temporary disk space for Word Pro to function optimally. It is suggested that you free some space (delete some files) or adjust your temporary disk space allocation. Press F1 for help.
Word Pro may not be able to function properly because there is insufficient disk space available on the drive holding the temporary directory. With insufficent disk space, Word Pro may not be able to correctly save documents, particularly if they contain graphics.
Make certain there is sufficient disk space available on the drive holding the temporary directory. (For information on the location of the temporary directory, see below). If necessary, move or delete some files
• Check the AUTOEXEC.BAT file to see if there is a SET TEMP= statement. If there is not, temporary files used by Word Pro are written to the root directory of your hard disk. You may want to add a SET TEMP= statement in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file to have temporary files placed in a particular drive or directory. An example of a SET TEMP= statement is

SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
where \TEMP represents the directory on drive C where temporary files should be placed

• If you already have a SET TEMP= statement in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, make certain the directory path specified is valid.

I am using windows XP Home - How do I view/adjust this file?

M

Mart

Kris said:
I am getting the following message when using Lotus Word Pro

"Warning: Your computer is too low on temporary disk space for Word Pro to function optimally. It is suggested that you free some space (delete some files) or adjust your temporary disk space allocation. Press F1 for help."
Word Pro may not be able to function properly because there is insufficient disk space available on the drive holding the temporary directory. With insufficent disk space, Word Pro may not be able to correctly save documents, particularly if they contain graphics.
Make certain there is sufficient disk space available on the drive holding the temporary directory. (For information on the location of the temporary directory, see below). If necessary, move or delete some files.
• Check the AUTOEXEC.BAT file to see if there is a SET TEMP= statement. If there is not, temporary files used by Word Pro are written to the root directory of your hard disk. You may want to add a SET TEMP= statement in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file to have temporary files placed in a particular drive or directory. An example of a SET TEMP= statement is:

SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
where \TEMP represents the directory on drive C where temporary files should be placed.

• If you already have a SET TEMP= statement in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, make certain the directory path specified is valid."

I am using windows XP Home - How do I view/adjust this file?

I'm using XP Pro, but this is how I'd do it:

Go to the Control Panel and double click on System.
Click on the Advanced tab and click on Environmental Variables.

Change the TEMP variable to point to a second hard disk.

If you don't have a second hard disk, make some room by
deleting everything in the TEMP directory.
You can go immediately to the TEMP directory by opening up
a window of a drive then typing %temp% into the address bar.

Mart.

Ask a Question