Don't say that I cannot do a clean install with my Academic Edition edition of XP!!

Richard

I have, I'm sure, a genuine WindowsXP Professional disk, which says
"Academic Edition". It is version 2002 and includes service pack 2.

I originally installed it as an upgrade to Win98. Now, I want to do a clean
install on a new partition, so I made the the original C: inactive. I did
that because I'm not interested at all in parallel booting. I just want one
clean installed copy of WindowsXP on my HDD. I'll delete C: after I've
achieved a clean install.

But, I could not clean install. The message said that what one needs is a
disk of WindowsXP "Full Version". I thought I had a full version.

The WindowsXP disk does not say on it "upgrade". And the literature mentions
about doing a clean install.

The disk comes in a kind of cardboard folder with some literature stuffed in
a pouch. It's orange on front and blue on the back cover. The back cover
contains the product key which is okay for the disk. Nothing on the folder
or in the literature says anything about Student Edition or Academic
Edition, it just says "Academic Edition" on the disk.

Why cannot I do a clean install? TIA.

Richard

I said:
I have, I'm sure, a genuine WindowsXP Professional disk, which says
"Academic Edition". It is version 2002 and includes service pack 2.

Looking at my disk it has on it:

2004 Microsoft Corporation

0304 Part No. X10-52226

Richard

Richard said:
[...]

I think the answer is:

"Currently the only Windows XP family product available in Academic version
is Microsoft Windows XP Pro Upgrade."

http://www.techsupportforum.com/art...s/117140-windows-xp-version-should-i-buy.html

Unless someone knows better, I've got to have a parallel install. It seems
the "Academic Edition" is really sold as an upgrade, you just might not
know it at the time. This is not addressed in the install booklet that I
have. One thinks you can clean install reading the booklet.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Richard,
Look at the PID= line in the setupp.ini. located in the i386 folder
What is on the line?
From that I may be able to tell whether that is a full version or an
upgrade version.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Don't say that I cannot do a clean install with my Academic
Edition edition of XP!!
<Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:31:44 -0000
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<
<<>I have, I'm sure, a genuine WindowsXP Professional disk, which says
<> "Academic Edition". It is version 2002 and includes service pack 2.
<>
[...]
<http://www.techsupportforum.com/articles-tutorials-reviews/windows-pc-softw
are-articles/117140-windows-xp-version-should-i-buy.html
<
<

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Richard,
Look at the PID= line in the setupp.ini. located in the i386 folder
What is on the line?
From that I may be able to tell whether that is a full version or an
upgrade version.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hi.

I cannot find the correct "setup.ini" file on my PC using search files and
folders. Neither if I search the install CD.

There is a folder C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386, and I verify that there is
no setup.ini there.

I can, BTW, see hidden files on my PC.

I could perhaps do a parallel install temporarily and look to see if
setup.ini appears in the new installation.

Jim

Richard said:
"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Richard,
Look at the PID= line in the setupp.ini. located in the i386 folder
What is on the line?
From that I may be able to tell whether that is a full version or an
upgrade version.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hi.

I cannot find the correct "setup.ini" file on my PC using search files and
folders. Neither if I search the install CD.

There is a folder C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386, and I verify that there is
no setup.ini there.

I can, BTW, see hidden files on my PC.

I could perhaps do a parallel install temporarily and look to see if
setup.ini appears in the new installation.
The file in question is C:\i386\setupp.ini. Don't lool anywhere else.
Jim

Shenan Stanley

Darrell said:
Look at the PID= line in the setupp.ini. located in the i386 folder
What is on the line?
From that I may be able to tell whether that is a full version or an
upgrade version.
I cannot find the correct "setup.ini" file on my PC using search
files and folders. Neither if I search the install CD.

There is a folder C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386, and I verify that
there is no setup.ini there.

I can, BTW, see hidden files on my PC.

I could perhaps do a parallel install temporarily and look to see if
setup.ini appears in the new installation.
The file in question is C:\i386\setupp.ini. Don't lool anywhere
else. Jim

Actually....
It is unlikely to be C:\ <- most people's CD drives are not C:\.
The file is on the CD.
The trouble I see is that Richard mis-read.
Richard is not looking for the "setupp.ini" file according to Richard's
response.
Richard is looking for "setup.ini".
Notice - the file Richard needs has TWO P's. Not one.

Usually - the academic version of Windows Xp Professional *is* an upgrade
version. This does not keep you from performing a clean install - but does
require you have a legitimate qualification version handy. A Windows
9x/ME/2000 installation CD will work fine. Just boot with said Windows XP
installation CD, start the install and insert the qualifying media when
asked.

PIDs ending in 270 - Volume License.
PIDs ending in 335/000 - Retail License.
PIDs ending in OEM - OEM License.

Interested in more?
http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

Jim

Shenan Stanley said:
Actually....
It is unlikely to be C:\ <- most people's CD drives are not C:\.
The file is on the CD.
Oops, my mistake.
However, there is such a file on my system in C:\i386 which is the hard
drive.
Jim

Richard

Jim said:
Richard said:
"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Richard,
Look at the PID= line in the setupp.ini. located in the i386 folder
What is on the line?
From that I may be able to tell whether that is a full version or an
upgrade version.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hi.

I cannot find the correct "setup.ini" file on my PC using search files
and folders. Neither if I search the install CD.

There is a folder C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386, and I verify that there
is no setup.ini there.

I can, BTW, see hidden files on my PC.

I could perhaps do a parallel install temporarily and look to see if
setup.ini appears in the new installation.
The file in question is C:\i386\setupp.ini. Don't lool anywhere else.
Jim

I see:pid=76488000

Full version or upgrade?

Thanks.

Shenan Stanley

Darrell said:
Look at the PID= line in the setupp.ini. located in the i386
folder What is on the line?
From that I may be able to tell whether that is a full version
or an upgrade version.
I cannot find the correct "setup.ini" file on my PC using search
files and folders. Neither if I search the install CD.

There is a folder C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386, and I verify that
there is no setup.ini there.

I can, BTW, see hidden files on my PC.

I could perhaps do a parallel install temporarily and look to see
if setup.ini appears in the new installation.
The file in question is C:\i386\setupp.ini. Don't lool anywhere
else. Jim
I see:pid=76488000

Full version or upgrade?

Here's a list of Product Codes.
-------------------------------------
55274 : XP Pro generic OEM or Volume License (VL is a special case of OEM)
55276 : XP Pro (upgrade)
55276 : XP Home (?) †
55277 : XP Home generic OEM
55285 : XP Pro †
55661 : XP Pro (retail)
76475 : XP Home (upgrade) (?)
76477 : XP Home Royalty OEM
76487 : XP Media Center Edition 2005
76487 : XP Pro Royalty OEM
76487 : XP Pro volume license (with '640' channel ID)
76500 : XP MCE 2005 (XP Pro with AD/GPO disabled)
76588 : XP Pro x64 OEM
(This is the first number of the Product ID.)

The second number is Channel ID
335 : Retail
640 through 648, 652 : Volume License (usually generated via 270 CID in
setupp.ini)
699 : Volume Windows XP Tablet Edition
071 : Possible, but unknown. Possibly an SP2 integrated install of some
variety.

Since you gave 76488000 <- that's a strange one I cannot find. I would
assume, going by the previous numbering system I have been able to verify:

76488 <- Volume/Academic.
000 <- Could be anything. Full, Upgrade, etc.

Having experience with the academic version handed out by many high-ed
locations - your copy is probably advertised as an "upgrade" version - but
would install clean. Either by means described earlier in this thread (with
qualifying media available) or not. Mostly - with Universities - I have
found the media installs cleanly without qualifying media, despite all other
indications to the contrary.

Perhaps Darrell Gorter of Microsoft can give more exact information.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
The value 76488 is Upgrade Media, Windows Professional SP2 upgrade media
English to be specific.
The first five digits tell me whether the product is Windows Profesional,
whether it's full or upgrade media, plus they tell me the language.
I don't have a way to tell whether it Academic or not.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Shenan Stanley" <[email protected]>
Edition edition of XP!!
<Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 03:26:14 -0600
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
<> Look at the PID= line in the setupp.ini. located in the i386
<> folder What is on the line?
<> From that I may be able to tell whether that is a full version
<> or an upgrade version.
<
<Jim wrote:
<> The file in question is C:\i386\setupp.ini. Don't lool anywhere
<> else. Jim
<
<Richard wrote:
<> I see:pid=76488000
<>
<> Full version or upgrade?
<
<Here's a list of Product Codes.
<-------------------------------------
<55274 : XP Pro generic OEM or Volume License (VL is a special case of OEM)
<55276 : XP Pro (upgrade)
<55276 : XP Home (?) †
<55277 : XP Home generic OEM
<55285 : XP Pro †
<55661 : XP Pro (retail)
<76475 : XP Home (upgrade) (?)
<76477 : XP Home Royalty OEM
<76487 : XP Media Center Edition 2005
<76487 : XP Pro Royalty OEM
<76487 : XP Pro volume license (with '640' channel ID)
<76500 : XP MCE 2005 (XP Pro with AD/GPO disabled)
<76588 : XP Pro x64 OEM
< (This is the first number of the Product ID.)
<
<The second number is Channel ID
<-------------------------------------------
<000 : Other (includes some retail, upgrade and evaluation versions)
<007 : Retail
<009 : Not for resale - bundle
<011 : XP Home Upgrade
<OEM : OEM (This does not specify royalty or normal OEM)
<270 : Volume License
<296 : MSDN
<308/347 : Microsoft Action Pack subscription
[...]
<--
<Shenan Stanley
< MS-MVP
<--
<How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
<
<
<
<

Shenan Stanley

Darrell said:
Look at the PID= line in the setupp.ini. located in the i386
folder What is on the line?
From that I may be able to tell whether that is a full version
or an upgrade version.

Shenan said:
[...]

Interesting. Thanks Darrell!

Richard

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
The value 76488 is Upgrade Media, Windows Professional SP2 upgrade media
English to be specific.
The first five digits tell me whether the product is Windows Profesional,
whether it's full or upgrade media, plus they tell me the language.
I don't have a way to tell whether it Academic or not.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Okay, so I have an upgrade.

I now know though that I can clean install, by inserting qualifying media
somewhere during the setup process.

I'm hoping that any clean install does not touch my data partitions.

Off to suss out how to clean install using qualifying media. Possibly not
mentioned on any microsoft site. :c)