Don't have permissions to import

D

DMH

I have completely messed up my security, then I found Joan Wild's
instructions. I want to start fresh so I changed my workgroup to the default
system.mdw but now it's telling me I don't have permissions to edit certain
forms and I can't even import them into a new database? help anyone??

J

Joan Wild

Change your workgroup back to your secure mdw. Then unsecure the mdb and start over.

(if you had a backup before you secured it, you could just remain joined to system.mdw and restore the backup).

To unsecure, grant full permissions to every object (including the database object), to the Users Group.

Then rejoin system.mdw, create a new mdb and import everything from your mdb. You are now looking at an unsecured database. Exit Access and backup the file. Then proceed to secure it.

--
Joan Wild
Microsoft Access MVP
:I have completely messed up my security, then I found Joan Wild's
: instructions. I want to start fresh so I changed my workgroup to the default
: system.mdw but now it's telling me I don't have permissions to edit certain
: forms and I can't even import them into a new database? help anyone??

D

DMH

I was able to change permissions for all the objects to the users group
except the database object it is greyed out and won't let me change the
owner. It shows the owner is "Unknown"

J

Joan Wild

Then the database was created while logged in with a different username (either you are using the wrong mdw, or the username has been deleted from the mdw you are using).

You can't change the owner of the database object via the dialog anyway.

You should just grant full permissions (not ownership) of all objects, including the Database object to the Users Group.

Then rejoin the standard system.mdw, start Access and create a new mdb. Since the Users Group has full permission, you should now be able to import every object from your old mdb. Since you are now using the standard system.mdw with no login (you are silently logged in as 'Admin'), the new database will be owned by Admin, as will all the objects. This will give you a secure mdb.

--
Joan Wild
Microsoft Access MVP
:I was able to change permissions for all the objects to the users group
: except the database object it is greyed out and won't let me change the
: owner. It shows the owner is "Unknown"
:
: "Joan Wild" wrote:
:
: > Change your workgroup back to your secure mdw. Then unsecure the mdb and start over.
: >
: > (if you had a backup before you secured it, you could just remain joined to system.mdw and restore the backup).
: > To unsecure, grant full permissions to every object (including the database object), to the Users Group.
: > Then rejoin system.mdw, create a new mdb and import everything from your mdb. You are now looking at an unsecured database. Exit Access and backup the file. Then proceed to secure it.
: > --
: > Joan Wild
: > Microsoft Access MVP
: > :I have completely messed up my security, then I found Joan Wild's
: > : instructions. I want to start fresh so I changed my workgroup to the default
: > : system.mdw but now it's telling me I don't have permissions to edit certain
: > : forms and I can't even import them into a new database? help anyone??

Ask a Question