Domain name at logon differs from actual domain

G

I hav a problem with the Window 200 server domain name/dns configuration

In active directory, he domain name for the domain controller is ok (colli-tech.com). Under My Network Places, I cannont see the domain. Instead the domain that is listed is actually the netbios name of the domain controller (colli-tech). Active directory displays "colli-tech" as the pre Windows2000 domain name, which I believe is actually the problem. With ntdsutil connecting to the domain server "colli-tech" produces the same server name as does logging into "colli-tech.com". Another problem, which I see as a result of the first, is that the logon prompt does not display the domain name "colli-tech.com", but "colli-tech".
I've tried applying the methods for dis-jointed domains as well as the changing the security restrictions for "self" which allow the domain to validate write the service principal name and the DNS host name, with no results. Does anyone have a suggestion/remedy?

T

Tom Ausburne

As I understand it, Active Directory Users & Computers shows the
domain name is (colli-tech.com). When you look in My Network Places
you see the NetBIOS name (or pre-Windows 2000 name) of (colli-tech).

You said that when using NTDSUtil you can connect to both names, FQDN
and NetBIOS. You also mentioned that the 3-tier logon box that you
get when you logon to the computer is showing the NetBIOS domain name.

With what you have discribed, I don't see any problem. What you
described is as it should be. What exactly is the problem?

Tom Ausburne (MSFT)
Windows 2000 Directory Services
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

Ask a Question